CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Input on Stk/SS ladders in Class Eliminations (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=65903)

Jeff Teuton 04-14-2017 08:38 PM

Input on Stk/SS ladders in Class Eliminations

As most people know Class Eliminations are laddered based on a Sportsman Ladder. Someone from NHRA approached us at No Problem with a problem that has developed. A little history; Some years I approached NHRA about the ladders after Indy which became a problem with everyone trying to get someone, miss someone, or pulling straws all of which made Class in Indy a mess and hard to administer and keep the program on schedule. In my proposal, I only intended Indy to get this treatment. NHRA instituted it at all National Events which was OK at the time. However with three day races becoming the norm, it is almost impossible to get the ladders done and so the delays that now exist and with sometime one time trial and then class it gets worse. His suggestion to keep laddering was to institute a regulation that you had to run the class you entered in. We had no problem with that, but told him we would need someone to change class from when we entered until registration closed usually on the Monday before the race. And we know there would have to be a couple of things worked out before this could be done either way. This is asking for comments on this idea, and the NHRA person is looking at any problem from their side. We did not address the fact that you have to have a run to get a time before the ladder can be done, but he seemed to have this handled. Comments, Ideas, or what have you.

James Perrone 04-14-2017 08:41 PM

Re: Input on Stk/SS ladders in Class Eliminations

No thanks. Can't change classes. No hiding. Just pick card. #s . Flip cups. Faster car gets bye run. Done

Bruce Noland 04-14-2017 11:32 PM

There's no reason to change anything. The ladders have helped tremendously with keeping peace in the lanes. Nhra simply has to assign a person with the responsibility of getting the ladders out in good order and in a timely fashion. This does not mean that this would be the worker's only job during the race. If they can't seem to get it right they could farm the job out to one of the software companies like Portatree. The racers could get a text with the ladders when their category is called up. There is no reason for this to be as difficult as they have made it.

Larry Hill 04-15-2017 07:28 AM

I like class being laddered, if its done correctly its simple and fast if not its a cluster. I have no problem running the class entered. Possible draw backs; some one has hit your combination after entering and car will not "fit" the class that it was originally entered, remember the adjustments for a 1.20 under run is posted on Tuesday. Mid year AHFS adjustments change the class the car will "fit'', and you entered three weeks earlier before the category closed in a different class.

If racers can change classes on Monday of the event week, will it cause system overload?

I bet Toby can do it!

Jim Bailey 04-15-2017 07:44 AM

I'm confused... I don't see any relationship between what class you run and the timeliness of getting a ladder done...You still have to make a run first...I get it that some of the NHRA tracks still use Dos as an operating system, but in our current day and age of technology ...come on , give me a break,... most of the new cars engine management systems could generate a ladder! This sounds like some BS thing, a self serving racer has thought up to try and hide from the faster cars in their class before they enter a National Event.

Jim Bailey 04-15-2017 08:05 AM

HOW ABOUT THIS - Just to make things simpler (faster) for the sanctioning bodies - Why don't we register our cars at the beginning of each year !... You must declare the year, make , and model, and THE CLASS you're running for that year. Then you get you a certification sticker - No changes until January 1 the following year. LMFAO ......

james schaechter 04-15-2017 08:33 AM

I say don't change it. Just improve the process to ladder the cars. It can't be too difficult to have software done or some other automated process.

Even if they had to export the qualifying to excel and sort it, it would not take long.

The biggest challenge I saw at Gainesville for class was poor communication between the tower and the people working in the lanes.

Stephen & Horace Johnson 04-15-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james schaechter (Post 532183)
I say don't change it. Just improve the process to ladder the cars. It can't be too difficult to have software done or some other automated process.

Even if they had to export the qualifying to excel and sort it, it would not take long.

The biggest challenge I saw at Gainesville for class was poor communication between the tower and the people working in the lanes.

I agree...leave it alone....

Randall Klein 04-15-2017 09:43 AM

Ummm, bring Red back?

Marty Buth 04-15-2017 10:06 AM

I agree......leave it alone!

Sean Cour 04-15-2017 11:19 AM

We're all adults here.....well, most of us. I think we can pair ourselves per the q sheet hanging on the trailer door/window. Keep it the same and police the pairings ourselves. It's really not that hard.

Don Turk 04-15-2017 11:36 AM

Would leave alone and ladder the cars for Class Eliminations. Need to have resources to manage the race on staff

Don

Wayne Totaro 04-15-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Noland (Post 532168)
There's no reason to change anything. The ladders have helped tremendously with keeping peace in the lanes. Nhra simply has to assign a person with the responsibility of getting the ladders out in good order and in a timely fashion. This does not mean that this would be the worker's only job during the race. If they can't seem to get it right they could farm the job out to one of the software companies like Portatree. The racers could get a text with the ladders when their category is called up. There is no reason for this to be as difficult as they have made it.

I agree 100% If it is not broke, don't fix it!!!

Mark Yacavone 04-15-2017 12:20 PM

Sounds to me like they're just trying to knock someone else off the payroll.
Meanwhile, they're turning away class cars that want to pay and race with them.
Should get more for your money..not less.
NO!

Ed Carpenter 04-15-2017 12:48 PM

Maybe nhra should give Bobby Fazio a call he can help them with ladders........

SS3718 04-15-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Cour (Post 532196)
We're all adults here.....well, most of us. I think we can pair ourselves per the q sheet hanging on the trailer door/window. Keep it the same and police the pairings ourselves. It's really not that hard.

I agree with Sean. One would think the racers can handle things accordingly! It would also be nice if we could run class in the correct order at the US Nationals (ie...GT/MA, GT/LA, GT/KA, etc). However, for some reason, we're not able to do that ourselves! It baffles me every year!

Bob Mulry 04-15-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bailey (Post 532182)
HOW ABOUT THIS - Just to make things simpler (faster) for the sanctioning bodies - Why don't we register our cars at the beginning of each year !... You must declare the year, make , and model, and THE CLASS you're running for that year. Then you get you a certification sticker - No changes until January 1 the following year. LMFAO ......

I kind of like the sound of this.......

Sortta like putting your dial in on your car for the whole weekend.....

Brett C 04-15-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bailey (Post 532182)

What happens when HP adjustments change the class you were in?

Bruce Noland 04-15-2017 10:58 PM

Most cars can run three or more classes and this business of staying in the class you enter won't work. The person in charge of the qualifying sheets and ladders will have access to all our information at the credentials trailer. There's also plenty of time to check the first round of qualifying against the entry list. In most cases there will only be a few changes. Leave it alone.

BRINK 04-16-2017 12:28 PM

Leave it alone, leave it to beaver, and bring back red !!!
Especially, bring back red.

Jim Wahl 04-16-2017 12:48 PM

Leave it alone!! If the situation warrants only one run be made then that is the run used for the ladder. If you want to change classes, it must be done before any qualifying runs are made. No need to complicate things! Our Association can do ladders that include NHRA, IHRA and NMCA combos either by computer or by hand with simple algorithms. We have even used the ping pong ball style pairing just for fun many times. Point being, anyone with average math competence and a lap top can do a ladder quickly. Why is it so hard all of a sudden? Jim

Mark Yacavone 04-16-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Wahl (Post 532290)
Leave it alone!! If the situation warrants only one run be made then that is the run used for the ladder. If you want to change classes, it must be done before any qualifying runs are made. No need to complicate things! Our Association can do ladders that include NHRA, IHRA and NMCA combos either by computer or by hand with simple algorithms. We have even used the ping pong ball style pairing just for fun many times. Point being, anyone with average math competence and a lap top can do a ladder quickly. Why is it so hard all of a sudden? Jim

I surely don't know, Jim.
If they get a little behind with weather, the first thing they do is cancel Class anyway.

dartman 04-19-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS3718 (Post 532214)
I agree with Sean. One would think the racers can handle things accordingly! It would also be nice if we could run class in the correct order at the US Nationals (ie...GT/MA, GT/LA, GT/KA, etc). However, for some reason, we're not able to do that ourselves! It baffles me every year!

99% of racers could.Then their is the guy who would drive up the staging lanes and not be pair with his opponent.Take win light while buddy is looking for him still in the lanes.

Carl Battis 04-20-2017 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dartman (Post 532549)

99% of racers could.Then their is the guy who would drive up the staging lanes and not be pair with his opponent.Take win light while buddy is looking for him still in the lanes.

This actually happened to me one year at Vegas. There were 9 cars in B/SA that year. While everybody was walking back to their car after we sorted out the B/SA pairings sheet my opponent drove to the head of the lanes and took the single that belonged to Jimmy DeFrank who was qualified #1 in our group. Everybody else paired up correctly and I was left holding the bag wondering what I should do. In the end I waited for Jimmy (who wasn't ready since he was supposed to have a single and was blocked by other cars) Having won Class at Vegas previously I didn't really want to race him in the first round and hadn't set my car on "Kill!"

The lane marshaller finally told me if I didn't move up I would be DQ'd along with my missing opponent. I drug my feet long enough for him to make it forward and go under the arch. My reward for being a nice guy - I got showered by a fusillade of dry ice at the big end from under his hood as I watched him take the stripe from a car length behind. That is one fast Camaro btw.....

As for my erstwhile opponent who took Jimmy's single....I don't think he's racing any longer and I don't miss him a bit.

Bryan Worner 04-24-2017 09:20 AM

I don't understand what takes so long to get a qualifying sheet out and class pairings figured out. They (NHRA) have our tech cards! Get them entered in a timely manner and the first qualifying sheet should follow shortly after the last car comes off the scales and/or completes fuel check! Is NHRA trying to get rid of another position? Is that why they are asking about policing class eliminations pairings? Next we will be doing tech inspections on opponents cars.

Keep the class eliminations qualifying and ladders the same, just have those responsible for the ladders do their job in a timely manner.

Someone mentioned running class eliminations in class order? Really? They don't give two ****s about class eliminations. Why would they try to organize anything like that when it comes to class??

BRINK 04-24-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Worner (Post 532963)
I don't understand what takes so long to get a qualifying sheet out and class pairings figured out. They (NHRA) have our tech cards! Get them entered in a timely manner and the first qualifying sheet should follow shortly after the last car comes off the scales and/or completes fuel check! Is NHRA trying to get rid of another position? Is that why they are asking about policing class eliminations pairings? Next we will be doing tech inspections on opponents cars.

Keep the class eliminations qualifying and ladders the same, just have those responsible for the ladders do their job in a timely manner.

Someone mentioned running class eliminations in class order? Really? They don't give two ****s about class eliminations. Why would they try to organize anything like that when it comes to class??

Amen, brother. Dead on as usual.

Larry Hill 04-24-2017 11:10 AM

I thought the dry ice had to be removed before crossing the ready line, or at least before pulling into the water.