CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Race Car Names (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=56212)

D.Johns 12-29-2014 01:37 PM

Re: Race Car Names

One that stuck in my mind was a gentlemen who was not having a successful marriage. His wife at the time would always give him a hard time about building his race car from nothing. She dogged him and called him an impossible dreamer.

They split up and he finished his race car "Pipe Dream".

D.Johns 12-29-2014 01:51 PM

There was a guy (Bob Cosby) who built a modular 4v to race in Factory Stock in the NMRA. When he built the car no modular had been campaigned successfully in that class. Bob insisted it was because no one did a serious engine yet per the rules. He took his 99 cobra swapped out the IRS, put base model seats and the typical street/strip items with an Al Papitto built 4v per the rules. Many still knocked on him saying the modular would never be a competitive racing engine in any class.

The first race the car was completed Bob actually drove the car long distance from his home in Maryland to the race. Running pump gas for the drive and emptying the tank to run the mandated C10(he used the gas he drained to run his generator) and set the new ET and Speed Record that year. Every one was upset and the engine was torn down for inspection...passing tech...

The next race the Black 99 cobra showed up with a new small sticker on the back that read. "The whine maker"

D.Johns 12-29-2014 02:04 PM

I love names on the cars as it harkens back to the old days. I still name my Mustang daily drivers. The last one I just sold to help finish up the engine in my SCJ was named "Jaden". It was an 03 Cobra that had what I consider the normal bolt-ons. I called her Jaden because in 04 while attending the 40th anniversary of the mustang celebration I made the comment while walking past an 03/04 cobra in the parking lot "it probably only pulley and exhaust" which would have made it a 500+hp. My brother told me we had become so jaded as to how easy it had become to make a lot of HP. So when I bought my 03 Cobra in 2006 I couldn't think of a better name....it went from stock to 540hp in 24 hours and to 700hp within a year due to needing more!

I always think the best names have a story behind them....

TGould 12-29-2014 02:24 PM

In the 60s: Color Me Gone, Lawman, Black Widow (DIck Griffin), Storming Bull (Ferd Napfel)

Rich Wallin 12-29-2014 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Old school, Mayfair's Hipo Shop

John Nechiporchik 12-29-2014 08:10 PM

The Godzilla 55 Chevy was Nick and Joanne Iarrussi from the Cleveland area. That altered wheelbase 55 was the most untamed car I ever saw go down the track!!!!

goinbroke2 12-29-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Wallin (Post 456779)
Old school, Mayfair's Hipo Shop

Wow, I must be tired, I read "the hippo shop" and started trying to think what a hippo was...elephant is hemi..mouse is sbc...what is a hippo? Mustang hippo? OH, HI PO! duh...

Mike Schwartz 12-29-2014 11:48 PM

C Horse [If its in a 'C' class], Mane Liner, Neigh Ride,

Jeff Teuton 12-30-2014 11:38 AM

I know they are not Fords (wash my mouth out with soap), we keep talking about naming The Cajun Flyer again on one of these DP's. Maybe one of our 426 cars.

Stephen & Horace Johnson 12-30-2014 02:00 PM

They used to be English Anglia that ran at Green Valley called the "chicken picker"

Dad used to run a 67 Fairlane named "Strip Teaser"

Clark Davis used to run a 64 ford galaxie 2dr sedan named "Ole Blue"

Howard Taylor used to run a 66 Fairlane named "Mr 427"