CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   COPO owners/racers (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68559)

1320racer 12-26-2017 01:01 PM

COPO owners/racers

I just got selected to purchase a 2018 COPO.

For those that have purchased a COPO in years past and with the honeymoon over, would you do it again, would you chose the same engine package, are you happy with the overall quality of the build and how much did it cost you after the purchase to really be competitive?

What engine would chose today and why?

Thanks in advance for your honest replies.

HR9121 12-26-2017 03:27 PM

Re: COPO owners/racers

I would seriously suggest getting in touch with Daren Poole-Adams or better known as Gump on here. He has several and knows alot about the ins and outs of them. Good luck

ken robinson 12-26-2017 04:00 PM

Wow great news Ed , as far as engine combos goes depends on if you want to race the factory shoot out , or just run stock or go big tire superstock .You might call Jack at his dealer ship in Pa .

1320racer 12-26-2017 04:01 PM

thanks for the replies. Just got off the phone with the program director. Got some calls to make.

GUMP 12-26-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320racer (Post 552472)
thanks for the replies. Just got off the phone with the program director. Got some calls to make.

I can be reached at 704-692-0860.

Congratulations on getting "The Call",

Daren

Todd Hoven 12-26-2017 07:01 PM

deleted

Ed Wright 12-26-2017 08:49 PM

Patterson Racing Engines has built some fast COPOs for people.
You might try to call, and ask for Todd @ 316-775-7771.
They can build it for you, or sell you the correct parts. Good people to deal with.

Rat Raceway 12-26-2017 09:43 PM

Or if you want to go real fast call Daivd Barton they treat you right!

Love my car and wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

1320racer 12-27-2017 10:54 AM

what year and engine?

bsimms89 12-27-2017 11:16 AM

I was selected last year and received my car in July. I went through the same questions as you. I was torn between the 427 and supercharged 350. I reached out to Jim Boburka from Jim Crivelli Chevrolet (he owns and races one with a 427 and sells a lot of COPOs through his dealer). After speaking with him, Dave Barton and a few others I settled on the supercharged 350 as I plan on racing it in stock, but if in a year or so I put some more into it then I could consider the factory stock showdown events if I wanted to.

I've gotten testing runs done with the car over a few different days am very happy with how these cars drive. The only drawbacks to the supercharged 350 that I've found is that you need to bring a lot of ice with you to the track for the intercooler, and that it only comes from the factory with a mechanical water pump, where the NA cars have an electric so you can cool it down faster between runs. The other drawback is that the car comes with an 8.5 second cage and the 350 will run that pretty much out of the box, if you plan on going faster you need to up it to a 25.5 cage.

Barton has been very helpful to us with advice and tips on what we should be thinking about for the future with the car, and we ultimately bought our car from Jim Boburka and Joe Horgan at Jim Crivelli Chevrolet, and they were a big help.