CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   3rd Gen F Body Steering box (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=70039)

M Brand 505B 05-31-2018 11:21 AM

3rd Gen F Body Steering box

Looking to replace the steering box on our superstocker and checking to see which one is recommended. Thanks for the help.

Dragsinger 06-02-2018 08:01 PM

Re: 3rd Gen F Body Steering box

M, you have several choices.

* S-10 manual box [with the S-10 box in most cases it is a direct replacement. Input spline & pitman spline same as OE. It will have a four bolt top]

* manual GM box from 70's cars [this is also a direct fit in some cases. GM produced several spline counts so it takes some comparing to find the exact match. This is a three bolt top. This box is about one pound lighter than the S-10 box and overall slightly smaller.

* Vega box [this box is smaller and lighter than both the above, however, it requires a custom/special pitman arm. Ed Quay, Flaming River, and maybe others furnish the special arm.

Of the three, I would look for the 70's box.

Adger Smith 06-04-2018 07:20 AM

What about the ratio's?
Any difference in the ratios of the different boxes?
Quicker or Slower?

Dragsinger 06-04-2018 08:15 AM

Adger, I "think" all GM manual boxes will be about the same in ratio. [maybe an exception but it would be a rare option] The greater turn to turn ratio of manual boxes is an advantage, steering is not touchy]

The 60's and 70's three-bolt top gear is a good choice but it takes careful searching to find the correct spline count. They are out there, I have found and installed several.

An S-10 box is available reman from most parts stores. To my knowledge, there is only one part number. It's advantage, a direct bolt in replacement, remove power gear, install S-10 manual gear.

The quicker ratios come with PS boxes.

Eman 06-04-2018 10:31 AM

I used the S-10 box, direct bolt in. I could have answered the ratio question last week as I just sold a Vega with a stock box.

Adger Smith 06-04-2018 03:38 PM

When I was building my Roadster I found a rack & pinion setup that had a lot higher ratio so it eliminated over steering it. Just wondered about the available Gen 3 boxes.
Thanks.

FED 387 06-04-2018 04:30 PM

I have a Chevy book (from GM ) 1984 that lists 2 Manual steering gear assemblies

7806396-------20:1 ratio---- 67-75 Camaro

7819935-------16:1 ratio---- Monza and Vega

FED 387

Adger Smith 06-05-2018 11:58 PM

I did a little research on my Gen 3 tonight.
I found a 3 bolt top manual steering box
It has a number on the top frame rail side
that is 7808990
A quick search on the net seems to be the Vega box.

Mike Pearson 06-06-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adger Smith (Post 564634)
I did a little research on my Gen 3 tonight.
I found a 3 bolt top manual steering box
It has a number on the top frame rail side
that is 7808990
A quick search on the net seems to be the Vega box.

That's what my Buddies Gen 3 car has in it with an Ed Quay pitman arm. I have a Vega box in my gen 1 Camaro. It gives a bit more header clearance. They work fine and you can buy brand new ones from Jegs or Summit.