CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Under the index for under a grand! (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=44903)

joe cool 12-30-2012 12:30 PM

Re: Under the index for under a grand!

Thanks for sharing this build, I know I will keep a close watch on the progress. Will we be able to see the Top Secret Tricks you stock guys use?

Mike Carr 12-30-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 363064)
Well, I'm trying to post some pics but the program that the pics are on doesn't like the Class Racer program. I'll try and sort this out and get back to posting.

Billy, e-mail them to me and I will post them for you. buffdaddy_1302@hotmail.com or dragrace1302@verizon.net

Billy Nees 01-06-2013 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I was finally able to figure out how to post pics! Here it is on it's way home.

Billy Nees 01-06-2013 12:37 PM

9 Attachment(s)
I removed the power brake booster and made the necessary mods to convert it to manual. Now the right way to do this is get the pieces from a manual brake S-10 or late 70s Camaro or Nova but they just aren't that common anymore. I took lots of pics of the pieces that I made to help anyone doing this to do it correctly. I've seen more than a couple of "professionally prepped" S and SS cars crash because this wasn't done right.
I made the cup out of a piece of 15/8 exh tubing and some 16 ga. scrap. The plate for the firewall is made from 1/8 flatstock. the rod is made out of the orig. rod that I cut out of the rear of the booster and some 3/8 rod. I threaded the ends and joined them with a coupling nut and tig welded them together. The rod should be just less than 4" long fron c/l of mounting hole to end of rod. At the end of the rod, weld on a 3/4" dia washer. Slot the cup end so that the mounting end of the rod just makes it through but the washer won't.
Take the orig. pedal and grind off the weld on the mounting stud and reweld it in the empty upper hole in the pedal. Done, assemble.

Todd Hoven 01-06-2013 04:57 PM

I got your free case of Amalie oil here, good for anything and everything!
I got an extra K hanger as well, very important for the super Qjet tuneup.

Billy Nees 01-09-2013 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tire package consists of 27" M/Ts in front and 8.5x26s in the rear on 15x4 GM spare tire wheels and 15x8 wagon wheels. The tires came out of the"I'm not going to use em" pile and the wheels are out of the "wheel" pile at the salvage yard. Throw in a can of semi-gloss black NAPA paint and total wheel and tire package costs $35. That's done.

Billy Nees 01-09-2013 09:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I scored a set of ???? headers at the salvage yard off of a 78 Firebird. They didn't want to fit but moving around a couple of tubes fixed that. They're 15/8 dia. tubes that are too big for this deal but they're good enough to start with. Price? Fix the countermans leaky 650 Holley.
Maybe later in this project I'll try and connect some tubes to this.

James Perrone 01-10-2013 09:55 AM

Billy give me a call if you need somthing..631 834 0511 James..Lots of stuff from my junk pile

Dwight Southerland 01-10-2013 11:46 AM

Billy - the headers in the picture look like for a SBC. Somehow I thought the car was a Pontiac 301.

Mark Yacavone 01-10-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland (Post 364645)
Billy - the headers in the picture look like for a SBC. Somehow I thought the car was a Pontiac 301.

They ARE 301 alright..They have the extra middle bolt hole that matches the original left hand exhaust manifold.
Billy, are you sure they're too big? I know they're too small for a 350 Pontiac.