CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Under the index for under a grand! (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=44903)

Billy Nees 04-26-2013 09:47 AM

Re: Under the index for under a grand!

1 Attachment(s)
The Payoff;
I took it to "The Beav" on Sunday to see if this project was worth my while or a bust.
The excuses, first, I had trouble with the trans leaking on my first run and had to address that before I could go down the track again. Second, even though it was a good day, "The Beav" is not a fast track by any stretch of the imagination (Beardie, a little help). Third, I set the timing at 32* total and have no idea what jets are in the carb so what I'm saying is that I had no time at all to do any tuning. I wound up making 6 runs and all that I did was change the launch RPM and temperatures.
The asterik, "The Beav" is an IHRA track so that means that I get to run the IHRA index right? The last pass the car went a 15.159, 87 MPH on a 15.15 IHRA index. Oh yeah, it was 140 lbs. heavy and there was about a 6-8 MPH head wind.
I will be taking some weight out of it today and tomorrow and I'll be going back to "The Beav" on Sunday and doing some tuning.
So far I'm very happy with it. The converter works better that I thought it would and even though it's too tight and too heavy(it feels and sounds like a stick car with a 55 lb. wheel in it) it seems to let the motor work. It either has to make more power or it needs more gear but that's not happening with the 7.5 rear. The "junkyard" headers are too big and too short but 301 headers don't fall out of trees. I may put a set of my headers on it after a while to see how they work.
Curt, stay tuned, I'm just getting started on this. There will be updates. Any suggestions or comments(within the budget)?

Mike Carr 04-26-2013 10:29 AM

Having been to, and raced, at Beaver Springs, I can attest to how slow it is.

First, it's up hill. If you sit in the waterbox, in neutral, and take your foot off the brakes, you will roll backwards.

2nd, it's altitude of sorts. I think physical elevations is 1,200' or so, in the hills of central PA.

I set the HF/SA record there in June 2004 in Billy's Sunbird. Record was 18.05. DA that day was close to 3,000' (would have to find my old logbooks for exact numbers). Two weeks later, I went to MIlan Michigan. Even though I didn't get points for re-setting my own record, my ego didn't want a -.55 record. SO, in warm, near 3,000' corrected elevation air again, I went 17.74 then 17.71 on the back-up, at Milan. No changes of any kind to the car at all (felt better that my record was now -.89 under. OBTW, I ran 17.59 (-1.01 under) at Budds Creek MD earlier that year, actually spinning the tires on worn out old slicks).

So, yes, Beaver IS slow compared to many tracks. Especially for slower, lower-powered cars.

Ed Fernandez 04-26-2013 03:15 PM

Not a bad light,for an old man.Put the Billy Tubes on it.Like you said,there's probably more in the fuel system.What size tire you running out back?And finally see if Bob will let you run from the finish line to the starting line,plenty of room to stop that bucket of bolts.Just some friendly suggestions.

Billy Nees 04-26-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lee (Post 378949)
Pontiacchuck asked 3 days ago...So what's the big secret here...how quick was the ET, how fast was the MPH? And how far under did it go? Unless I'm missing something here, that was the point of it all.

For most, purely entertainment. For some, hopefully a bit of knowledge. For a very select few, incentive!

TGould 04-26-2013 04:21 PM

Hey Billy, take out .06-.08 for the head wind and correct the ET to sea level and your at or under the NHRA index. Now, for a certain down hill NE sea level track and a few of those 00 bulbs.

Tom

cicero819 04-26-2013 04:21 PM

Billy great job, wow RT is money in the bank! Keep it up, someone must have a 12 bolts lying and gathering dust somewhere with a set of 5:13, come on people look in your backyard under the wood pile and send it to Billy! Claude

Claude

pontiacchuck 04-26-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lee (Post 378949)
Pontiacchuck asked 3 days ago...So what's the big secret here...how quick was the ET, how fast was the MPH? And how far under did it go? Unless I'm missing something here, that was the point of it all.

thanks jeff for asking too ha ha

Billy Nees 04-26-2013 06:00 PM

I'm getting too old for this stuff. I spent this afternoon taking the interior out to remove some weight. I managed to get 45 lbs. of carpet backing and sound deadener out of it.
One cool thing, I did find not one but two build sheets!

Glenn Hayes 04-26-2013 10:42 PM

Great job Billy! You'll be under the index soon.

Ed Fernandez 04-27-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 379030)
I'm getting too old for this stuff. I spent this afternoon taking the interior out to remove some weight. I managed to get 45 lbs. of carpet backing and sound deadener out of it.
One cool thing, I did find not one but two build sheets!

How much change you find under the back seat?