CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Shocks (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=64489)

suprgasn 11-28-2016 09:14 PM

Shocks

What is a good double adjustable shock for a 1100 hp SG car. Not wanting to spend 1500 plus on a set of rear shocks. What do you recommend and why. Thanks Kevin

Tom Goldman 11-28-2016 11:44 PM

Re: Shocks

Kevin , when you have that much HP ,there is no room for inexpensive shocks.
Quality double adjustable shocks are a necessity ,especially on some of the bumpier tracks we run on , not to mention controlling the tire at the line.
I personally use KONI shocks and have good results, but I also use AFCO and Santhuff shocks on customers cars.
Valving for the application is very important .

suprgasn 11-29-2016 01:58 PM

Tom if I went with Afco who would you get to valve them. I have run koni but on my car adjusting the top sweep is almost impossible running strange now. Wonder about that new shock strange came out with and who is making it. I heard somewhere that strange wasn't making them think in house.

drgrcr1156 11-29-2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Goldman (Post 521030)
Kevin , when you have that much HP ,there is no room for inexpensive shocks.
Quality double adjustable shocks are a necessity ,especially on some of the bumpier tracks we run on , not to mention controlling the tire at the line.
I personally use KONI shocks and have good results, but I also use AFCO and Santhuff shocks on customers cars.
Valving for the application is very important .

What about QA1. They have the adjustment knobs at the bottom for easy access and has more adjustment than Afco. Even if you have to adjust two clicks to see a change, that is still more than others. JRI has a good sportsman shock at a reasonable price but the nitrogen charge requirement is one more maintenance thing. I am also trying to move away from Stange after having consistency issues. I was not to impressed when I got their shock dyno sheet.

Bob

Todd Geisler 11-29-2016 07:37 PM

QA1 are junk IMO. Sure they are aluminum and have knobs but that's it. Their valving just works poorly. BTDT, never again.

IMO Afco for a lower price choice but I prefer Santhuff myself. Not that much more $$$ and they flat out work. Wish I had spent the money on the Santhuff's 10 years ago.

Tom Goldman 11-29-2016 08:20 PM

Kevin , The Big Gun valveing that comes in the AFCO's has worked well for the cars I've used them on .
Haven't had the opportunity to use the new Strange shocks on anything yet , I'd like to try them on something . .....The old Strange shocks were not up to handling cars with high HP and lots of hit.
X2 on the Santhuff's . I had some experience with them many years ago on a stick shift Super Stock car when they first came out, was blown away by how they worked.

63corvette 11-29-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Goldman (Post 521096)
Kevin , The Big Gun valveing that comes in the AFCO's has worked well for the cars I've used them on .
Haven't had the opportunity to use the new Strange shocks on anything yet , I'd like to try them on something . .....The old Strange shocks were not up to handling cars with high HP and lots of hit.
X2 on the Santhuff's . I had some experience with them many years ago on a stick shift Super Stock car when they first came out, was blown away by how they worked.

Tom my car works just fine with the Strange shocks (double adjustable) and my engine made 1148 HP on the dyno.
The tires you use makes as much of a difference with the high HP as the shocks on the hit and when it comes off the stop in my opinion.
Just My 2 Cents
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX

Tom Goldman 11-30-2016 10:41 PM

Rick , I had the old Strange double adjustables on my car when I first built it .
Where I found the Koni's to be better was after the initial hit ,when the car went on the stop and the tire relaxed. The Koni valving allowed the tire to recover more smoothly as seen on the data graphs.
They are not bad shocks at all ,I have several customers using them on bracket cars, I just don't prefer them for throttle stop applications.

FLEMING 12-02-2016 09:51 AM

Call Marc at JRI... they build a very nice product..

Shuvel673 01-24-2017 02:01 AM

Just to put in my 2 cents I have dyno'd shocks from Aldans to penske's. I would extremely advise the 7500 series penske's or the santuff's or the JRi "real deal" double adjustable first. I did find a few budget minded shocks that were very consistent on the dyno, low hysteresis, and linear between adjustments. One being the NEW Strange monotube gas charged ULTRA shock. They are gold. they have ~24 sweeps each reb and comp. I believe they are around 525 ea. Also, the JRi "sportsman" shocks are a great shock for the price. Quality is there but the adjustment range is short, but fortunately EVERY click does something and is equal throughout the range. It has 12 reb and 5 comp adjustments. I currently run these on my Super Street car and have had good luck. Like you I know the benefits of a great shock but just wasn't in the budget when I was purchasing them.

Good Luck this year!