CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   RMRE tribute car (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=47299)

Geerhead55 09-18-2014 12:16 AM

Re: RMRE tribute car

I like the idea of going the stocker route. Remove the spoiler, do the RMS tribute paint job, put a modern Stock Eliminator suspension under it, maybe find some Cragar Super Trick wheels for a retro vibe, do all the modern "tricks", aftermarket seats, fuel cell, etc. and go for it. It should be a fun car,,, heck you could even put a stick in it if you wanted to. My 2 cents,,, take care.
Danny Durham

Dwight Southerland 09-18-2014 07:21 AM

Here's a twisted suggestion: Recreate a famous RMS 277 cu in modified motor from the '70s complete with hacked over Holley 660s on a welded up tunnel ram and Moroso gold valve covers, put a clutch operated 5-speed behind it, put it in the car, and see if there is still anyone out there who can drive such a beast.

Charlie A 09-18-2014 07:51 AM

Re: RMRE tribute car Phase II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyphish (Post 446532)
Well Indy 14 ss/ah was memorable. But here is another dilemma. I was charged $400 over sticker on August 22, 1978 for this 1978 Z28 built in July 78 at Norwalk Oh., fully loaded. Houston dealer took advantage of a 26 year old male. "These cars are hard to get" he said. All docs in tact, I mean EVERYTHING. It has not been on street since 1992, 40k miles and the faded factory stripe package just heated and removed tonight. AC not cold??? What should we do?

1. Put the repop stripe kit on and fix AC and drive it? Laugh at Houston dealer.

2. Leave stock and repaint RMRE 1978 Prostock Champion colors/decals? Pit car!

3. Repaint RMRE and make stock eliminator ie a complete build. What would 78 350/185 class be? What is index? With new cars could it make the show?

Bring it to "Crusin' The Coast" in a couple weeks and join the other 7000 -10,000 rides that are going to be here!

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...1&d=1411004996

Put the stripe kit back on it and fix the a/c. They are only original once!
The value and the "Cool Factor" are in its history and documentation.
What color stripe kit was on it?

Charlie A 09-18-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyphish (Post 437752)
If all goes to plan, these cars will be at Indy. One will have a NEW carb to pan RMRE SS/AH engine that they designed from scratch! Should be on dyno in a couple weeks.

Ironic, the 50 year anniversary of the Gen II hemi, celebrated at the CHEVROLET USNATs built by a world renown Chevy engine builder. Should be interesting

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...0&d=1405257713

Red/White...Blue! Wavin' the flag....or at least makin' it shake!

Spyphish 09-18-2014 08:01 AM

This thing was Jane's engagement ring as she needed a car more than a ring. It was our family car until we were pregnant with 2nd child. I then kept it in storage so I would remember what year we got married. Put a battery in it last week and it fired right up. That Stable gas stuff works! One front brake stuck and gooey pedal so repop brakes all around. Thanks for the suggestions. I kinda' like Dwight's idea as I often go in the RMRE shop attic. I bet there is enough stuff to make that 277. They should be on "Pickers".

This thing will need a serious diet if raced. Has sound deadening package, power windows, etc etc. Everything except T tops. I will mull it over while having a toddy this weekend.

PS It had the gold stripe package with the wide embedded Z28 on the lower door. Build sheet shows D88 sport stripe and 53A #1 gold stripe

Tim H 09-18-2014 01:55 PM

I am a huge RMS fan however I also own a 1980 Z28 that is all original other than the tires. As cool as a stocker build would be, I respectfully suggest leaving car in its stock condition, replace stripe kit and enjoy ... or possibly sell to me really cheap !!!

Gary Bouman 09-18-2014 07:05 PM

Spyphish, I'll give you your money back.... No really as long as every thing is intact with the family KEEP the car,do the stripes and ect. and enjoy the car as it looks like a nice car. Gary

Jared Jordan 09-18-2014 09:53 PM

Re: RMRE tribute car Phase II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyphish (Post 446532)
3. Repaint RMRE and make stock eliminator ie a complete build. What would 78 350/185 class be? What is index? With new cars could it make the show?

This one's got my vote! Natural I/SA car rated @ 283 hp. Can run H-I-J/SA and it'll do more than "make the show."

H/SA: 12.15
I/SA: 12.30
J/SA: 12.45

DO IT!!

Spyphish 06-10-2017 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the Camaro is gone with the wind BUT the RMRE tribute Cuda is at Holts for a Liberty 4 speed conversion. We will attempt to set the super comp record at Indy. 8.50s etc.

Spyphish 12-03-2017 10:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Has a Liberty now and hope to test at Evadale Tx next Saturday. Racer appreciation day with a gumbo cook off etc. Come on out. Phish