CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   looking for double adjustable rear shocks (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68221)

pfordamx 11-14-2017 01:16 AM

looking for double adjustable rear shocks

I"m looking for some good double adjustable rear shocks. the car is a 69 amx, howerver going by a few sites it appears the rear shock setup is the same as early camaros and mustangs, the car has calvert monoleafs and bars. next year should weigh about 3100 and make around 670 hp and were using MT pro bracket radials i was originally thinking AFCO's but can't find the configuration i'm looking for might need to call but i wasn't sure if strange or qa1s where any good i've looked at Vikings was hoping to find a bit higher quaility than that though but i also can't afford santhuffs.

Myron Piatek 11-14-2017 08:10 AM

Re: looking for double adjustable rear shocks

Viking is owned by the original founder of QA1. They should be able to reconfigure the ends if you find a shock body with the proper extension/compression measurements.

pintojoe II 11-14-2017 07:47 PM

I can give you some solid input on this. Bought viking Crusders beginning for this year. Direct swap for my old Rancho 9000 off-road shock. After MANY pass on the viking with no success we swap back to the old Ranchos and went straight down Broadway. I tried all kind of adjustments (this way and That way) / video / phone calls. Never got them to work like the Rancho. I've been running car from over 28yrs so i know it pretty good. It makes more power then what you have. It's a true stock leaf spring suspension car no mono leafs. Jc Whitney stock multileaf with Assin Bars. I would either look else where or use Calverts singles

flash 11-14-2017 08:06 PM

got a set of new 21" strange double adjustable shock-aluminum 500.00,I pay shipping.no springs

Eddie McDow
254-749-8905

Ed Wright 11-14-2017 08:26 PM

Vic & Dewayne Custer put double adjustable Strange rear shocks on mine. Nice pieces, that work very well.

pfordamx 11-14-2017 11:16 PM

We have the calvert ranchos on the car but were having issue consistently hooking the probracket radials and thought a shock with more adjustment might help dial it in.

Dyno 11-15-2017 12:11 AM

Spend your money wisely, call Randy Mans at Fastshocks. 612-306-5387. He will help you out.

pintojoe II 11-15-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfordamx (Post 549802)
We have the calvert ranchos on the car but were having issue consistently hooking the probracket radials and thought a shock with more adjustment might help dial it in.

I'd look more at the fronts. What do you have for front shocks ?

Hacksaw 11-15-2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pintojoe II (Post 549840)
I'd look more at the fronts. What do you have for front shocks ?

I have to agree on this one. Put some effort in the front and the back will react.

HandOverFist 11-16-2017 12:48 AM

I concur as well...the only problem I have ever had stemmed from the front. None of our cars ever cared for what was on the rear.

pfordamx 11-16-2017 06:55 PM

Just some 90-10s this what it looks like when it hooks. https://youtu.be/dhcno3-kWwc

pintojoe II 11-16-2017 07:06 PM

A double adjustable front would be your best bet. Slower front extension so it doesn't top out fast then stiffer compression to stop the bounce. The viking crusader front with the DH valving will do it. I have there fronts. But like i said the backs didn't work out

pintojoe II 11-16-2017 09:35 PM

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.boyw...99362423432232

Ed Wright 11-17-2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfordamx (Post 549898)
Just some 90-10s this what it looks like when it hooks. https://youtu.be/dhcno3-kWwc

No more violent than that Rambler is, it doesn't need anything else.

I see you are from OKC? If so, and you were at the recent NHRA points race at Noble, you would have seen my car carrying the front tires well past the 60' beams with the front shocks set very tight. I was thinking I should have brought my 60lb front ballast bar.
Most any Super Stock car making any power at all, with 90-10 front shocks, would be a hand full to drive. Wheels MUCH higher than the Rambler's.

Too high, and unloading on the wheelie bars hard can roll the sprague on the back of a T350 clutch drum, ending up with high gear only, until an expensive repair is done.
90-10 front shocks can get you by just fine on a slower car like the one in that video. 1.45 is very slow in 60'. Mine's been 1.26, and it ain't the fastest.

pfordamx 11-17-2017 10:12 AM

Ed ive seen your car run a couple of times my dad grew up in sands springs and remembers several of your cars. I agree the car doesnt leave as hard as we would like either. But its getting a different engine next year and should pickup. The problem is even with an underpowered engine it would only do this about 1/2 the time the rest of the time it would brake loose right on the hit.

pintojoe II 11-17-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfordamx (Post 549918)
Ed ive seen your car run a couple of times my dad grew up in sands springs and remembers several of your cars. I agree the car doesnt leave as hard as we would like either. But its getting a different engine next year and should pickup. The problem is even with an underpowered engine it would only do this about 1/2 the time the rest of the time it would brake loose right on the hit.

Frontend is topping out to fast and unloading rear tire

Ed Wright 11-17-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pintojoe II (Post 549921)
Frontend is topping out to fast and unloading rear tire

Not coming up too fast. Could maybe use a little more travel. Did not show the burn out. What tires? Wheel width? How much air? Should be very easy to dead hook every time.

pintojoe II 11-17-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 549938)
Not coming up too fast. Could maybe use a little more travel. Did not show the burn out. What tires? Wheel width? How much air? Should be very easy to dead hook every time.

If you say so..

Hacksaw 11-17-2017 09:03 PM

In the video you present I see little wrong. Most probably you have too little extension travel on the front. Thinking your shocks are topping out before the suspension. That's a no no.

Ed Wright 11-17-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pintojoe II (Post 549941)
If you say so..

Been doing this for fifty years now, racing several different cars, never had one unload the rears because the front came up too fast. That one in the video doesn't come up all
that fast anyway.
And, I agree with Hacksaw above.
And, why "bracket radials"? Instead of regular radials like a Super Stock car runs? Mine are MT 13" X 31", on 14" wide wheels, with 13 psi. If you could spin those, you would have to be doing something seriously wrong.
The late '60s AMX factory race cars would hook on the nastiest tracks we had. Those were all "no prep" too. Nothing did wheel stands like those cars. LOL

flash 11-18-2017 12:13 AM

got a set of strange aluminum double adj shocks for sale-new,only 5 passes on them-no springs-500.00 OBO
254-749-8905

pfordamx 11-18-2017 02:38 PM

they don't offer the radial slick in a 28x10.5 they might in a 28x9 which would be something to consider we run a NA stock block local heads up deal that limits us to a 28x10.5 and radials are said to be a little quicker than a bias ply slick. we have suspension limiters on the front that hit way before the shocks we could probably add another 1.5-2.0 inchs of travel if needed we also can't run wheelie bars so we don't really want bumper dragging wheel stands.i figured our issues were more in the back of the car hence why i was asking about shocks. also thinking of adding an anti roll bar the car seems to want to twist more than i'm happy with.

Ed Wright 11-18-2017 03:43 PM

Is that as tall a tire you can get under it? Rules don't require a 28" tire, do they?
Taller tires hook better (longer foot print, more sidewall), but that would likely require a gear change. May even like less overall effective gear. 30" or 31" tire would be a big help. 29" would help.

pfordamx 11-18-2017 06:52 PM

yes rules state equal too or less than 28 inchs tall and less than 10.5 inchs wide sowe have the biggest tire we can run. a bias ply slick would probably be more forgiving but if we can get this combo would work i would like too.

Monte Howard 11-25-2017 01:28 AM

For that much HP and that small tire there is only 1guy to call Mark Mencer. He does all the small tire heads up cars. Buddy of mine was struggling, called Mark and he is car works great now

pfordamx 11-30-2017 12:40 AM

i though about calling Mencer but they normally deal with big hp cars were kinda small time compared to what they normally work on.

Brian Oakes 11-30-2017 09:54 PM

Santhuff would be your best buy, but i have a very little used Afco double adj. shocks, just removed them cuz I'am a Santhuff dealer and had to put them on my Camaro. 350.00 plus the ride and you can have them. Thanks Brian 407-474-0898 or text, do not PM don't read them

Adger Smith 12-01-2017 11:41 AM

Ed Wright,
I think this is the set of rules he has to run by.
https://www.ozarkracewaypark.com/rul...hootout-rules/

pfordamx 12-03-2017 09:51 PM

Those would be the rules, if i wasn't aware that alot of stock and super stock cars run none factory blocks and or filled blocks i'd say anyone in the area should come play.its heads up no bracket or index racing involved, so you can be sure no one will accuse you of being a bracket racer.

Adger Smith 12-04-2017 11:50 AM

I was going to get involved, but your Ford rules maker is stuck on the no filled blocks. I'm not going to build a grenade. When the block goes it can take out expensive heads, too. That is bad for my engine business. Most NHRA Stocker racers see it that way, too. That is why they use stock blocks that are filled and aftermarket blocks that are stronger.
It just makes no sense because filled blocks are mostly for durability. Yes, less cylinder wall flex seals rings a little better, but the best thing it does is it keeps them from cracking. The fact that he takes durability out of the build takes away from the build also takes out the "Cheap" factor the class is based on. No track owner wants to have a show where there are a bunch of failures. The guy making the rules doesn't see it. A while back I read on the Stock block shootout forum that some guys have spare blocks already machined and ready for when they fail.That Gen 3 Hemi is going to be a killer.

Ed Wright 12-04-2017 12:33 PM

Somebody appears to have signed me up for that sight. Looked at the rules. Have to wonder about whoever wrote them. Low dollar cars prone to break if they make any power makes no sense to me. Nothing low dollar about fixing one.

pfordamx 12-04-2017 06:55 PM

I concur, i dont agree with no hardblock, the only thing we run is a main stud girdle, and so far cars havent got so outragous thats it been an issue last year i think we had one bigblock chevy hurt its self but odly i believe the block was ok. But each year we all push more and im sure people are going to start hitting the limits of the 40 year old iron before too long.

Mike Rietow 12-10-2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfordamx (Post 550687)
i though about calling Mencer but they normally deal with big hp cars were kinda small time compared to what they normally work on.

Ohlins TTX36 1.27 60ft 28x10.5 bias, N/A 23 degree sbc TSI spragless 8" P Glide. 3250pds https://youtu.be/pgWw9ZcX4YM.