CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fuel "cool can" (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72247)

JCChildress 02-15-2019 04:10 PM

Fuel "cool can"

I'm sure this has probably been beat to death previously. Has anyone ever done a back to back comparison on using a cool can versus not using one ? Does anyone even make one these days, as I know Moroso has stopped production. Thanks in advance

Rob Petrie E395 02-15-2019 08:16 PM

Re: Fuel "cool can"

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCChildress (Post 582598)
I'm sure this has probably been beat to death previously. Has anyone ever done a back to back comparison on using a cool can versus not using one ? Does anyone even make one these days, as I know Moroso has stopped production. Thanks in advance

Canton still makes one but its a little pricey. Over $200 but it does look like a nice.

House of Darts 02-16-2019 01:03 AM

Its cooler/denser air that makes the HP.

Stephen & Horace Johnson 02-16-2019 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCChildress (Post 582598)

back when dad was driving the car, he was trying to set the ihra record and had I said hey lets try some ice in the cool cans.he said sure go ahead and pour it in... He went on out on the 2nd pass and beat his previous pass by a .10 ;)

Ralph A Powell 02-16-2019 10:32 AM

Depends how big a electric pump is bypassing fuel which heats up the fuel.

Ed Wright 02-16-2019 07:38 PM

When I had my '56, I was an aircraft technician. I had our sheet metal shop make me a box, mounted next to the front of the radiator. Was about 6" x 12", (not round) with a -6 an fitting (with an -6 an cap)TIG welded on, drained water right through the factory radiator drain hole. Used aluminum tubing, transfers heat better, top flap/lid was on hinges, with aircraft latches to hold it shut. Testing with it bypassed, or full of ice, fuel lines sweating at the carbs, was a solid 8 hun quicker cold. At Fuel Check, near the scales, those old Carter WCFB float bowls would feel cold, and sweating.
People can repeat "only air temp matters", it's another thing Jere Stahl told me to do, and he was correct. I am not the only person having the same experience with that.
I know a fast Pro Stock car that cools fuel before pouring it in the car, and icing the fuel cell.
That was my experience. Right or wrong.

Ralph A Powell 02-17-2019 10:11 AM

Ed you absolutely correct on this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 582702)
When I had my '56, I was an aircraft technician. I had our sheet metal shop make me a box, mounted next to the front of the radiator. Was about 6" x 12", (not round) with a -6 an fitting (with an -6 an cap)TIG welded on, drained water right through the factory radiator drain hole. Used aluminum tubing, transfers heat better, top flap/lid was on hinges, with aircraft latches to hold it shut. Testing with it bypassed, or full of ice, fuel lines sweating at the carbs, was a solid 8 hun quicker cold. At Fuel Check, near the scales, those old Carter WCFB float bowls would feel cold, and sweating.
People can repeat "only air temp matters", it's another thing Jere Stahl told me to do, and he was correct. I am not the only person having the same experience with that.
I know a fast Pro Stock car that cools fuel before pouring it in the car, and icing the fuel cell.
That was my experience. Right or wrong.

Chevy55 02-17-2019 11:10 AM

I guess this rule pretty much made cool cans obsolete.

General Regulations Section 21, page 5

Fuel/Air:
Any method of artificially cooling or heating fuel prohibited (i.e., cool cans,
Freon, wet rags, etc.), except as noted in Class Requirements. Cool cans,
wet towels, etc. are permitted in Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super
Gas, Super Street, and E.T. classes. Wet towels, rags, ice, etc. must be
removed before vehicle leaves staging area. Coolers, chillers, etc., where
permitted by class requirements, are prohibited outside of the
competitor’s pit. Ambient-temperature air only; cooling or otherwise
changing the conditions of the intake air is prohibited. Spraying of intake
with any artificial spray or coolant prohibited.

GTOMayhem 02-17-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy55 (Post 582741)
I guess this rule pretty much made cool cans obsolete.

General Regulations Section 21, page 5

Cool cans, wet towels, etc. are permitted in Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Gas, Super Street, and E.T. classes. .

Not obsolete, the way I read it.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Chevy55 02-17-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 582756)
Not obsolete, the way I read it.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Rick I think the cool can must be empty before leaving the staging lanes.