CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   '99 Suburban brake pipes (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=55576)

John Kissel 11-06-2014 07:42 PM

'99 Suburban brake pipes

We have a '99 (old style) Suburban, and I need to change the brake pipes due to rust. Do I have to make the replacement lines the same length as the original ones to not upset the a.b.s. system or can I shorten the lengths to make it easier to install the new ones. I know there is a set available (2WD) but I don't have $250.to spend right now. Thanks in advance, John Kissel

Ronnie Smith Jr 11-06-2014 10:14 PM

Re: '99 Suburban brake pipes

Can't answer the question specifically, but In-Line Tube was the product I used to replace the entire system in my 1997. I had only a couple of suspect lines that were rusted, however; I thought it best to replace the entire system, flush and fill with new fluid. I didn't want there to be an issue with changing one or two lines with the possibility of contaminating the system or introducing rust or debris in the system too. I would imagine you would want to make it as close to factory length as possible to avoid any abs issues as you eluded to in your post. If you have the opportunity, save up for it and have the lines shipped. Worked great for my situation.

Best of luck.

Greg Barsamian 11-11-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Smith Jr (Post 452203)
Can't answer the question specifically, but In-Line Tube was the product I used to replace the entire system in my 1997. I had only a couple of suspect lines that were rusted, however; I thought it best to replace the entire system, flush and fill with new fluid. I didn't want there to be an issue with changing one or two lines with the possibility of contaminating the system or introducing rust or debris in the system too. I would imagine you would want to make it as close to factory length as possible to avoid any abs issues as you eluded to in your post. If you have the opportunity, save up for it and have the lines shipped. Worked great for my situation.

Best of luck.

X2 on In-Line Tubes, It made replacing the lines easier on my 99 Silverado P/U.
Cut the lines at the abs & replaced them 1 at a time.

james schaechter 11-11-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Barsamian (Post 452570)
X2 on In-Line Tubes, It made replacing the lines easier on my 99 Silverado P/U.
Cut the lines at the abs & replaced them 1 at a time.

I had a line blow out on my 2002 gmc. I was pressed for time. The local shop said 1600 and no guarantees. I ordered prevent stainless lines from in line for under 400. Took a coup,e hours to do it myself. My local shop must make s bunch of money on easy jobs!

John Kissel 11-12-2014 06:36 PM

Thanks to all. I am ordering a set from In Line, and some of those Russel speed bleeders. Just for laughs, I was told about $1,700 also, as there isn't an operation amount for this in flat rate book. John Kissel

gumbalaya 11-13-2014 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kissel (Post 452693)
Thanks to all. I am ordering a set from In Line, and some of those Russel speed bleeders. Just for laughs, I was told about $1,700 also, as there isn't an operation amount for this in flat rate book. John Kissel

John, did you say that they didn't have a kit for a 99 Suburban in their book?

Classic Tube has a complete kit, with all of the tubes already cut to length and flared, with hardware, for a 99 suburban 4WD!

Here's a link to their catalog: http://my.youturnpub.com/YouTurn/ClassicTube2014/ The 99 Suburban is on page 22.

My 98 GMC Savanna dually had 2 lines rupture in the home Depot parking lot back in August. I ordered a complete stainless steel brake line system directly from Classic Tube for $330, shipped! Very nice pieces.

It took them about 1.5 weeks to fabricate the kit, but if you have a more popular vehicle maybe they would have one in stock.

They also sell through summitracing.com.

Hope this helps!

John Kissel 11-13-2014 08:44 PM

Thanks. The only place that I found was In Line, that has a kit for a 2wd. what the difference is, I don't know. I look in the service manual and didn't see anything, maybe a different mount for brake hoses in a different spot. Sure gotta' love that liquid salt krap, as the Wix gas filter I put on last year, 3k miles ago was starting to rust on the shell. Thanks again, John Kissel