CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fuel "cool can" (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72247)

JCChildress 02-15-2019 04:10 PM

Fuel "cool can"

I'm sure this has probably been beat to death previously. Has anyone ever done a back to back comparison on using a cool can versus not using one ? Does anyone even make one these days, as I know Moroso has stopped production. Thanks in advance

Rob Petrie E395 02-15-2019 08:16 PM

Re: Fuel "cool can"

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCChildress (Post 582598)
I'm sure this has probably been beat to death previously. Has anyone ever done a back to back comparison on using a cool can versus not using one ? Does anyone even make one these days, as I know Moroso has stopped production. Thanks in advance

Canton still makes one but its a little pricey. Over $200 but it does look like a nice.

House of Darts 02-16-2019 01:03 AM

Its cooler/denser air that makes the HP.

Stephen & Horace Johnson 02-16-2019 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCChildress (Post 582598)

back when dad was driving the car, he was trying to set the ihra record and had I said hey lets try some ice in the cool cans.he said sure go ahead and pour it in... He went on out on the 2nd pass and beat his previous pass by a .10 ;)

Ralph A Powell 02-16-2019 10:32 AM

Depends how big a electric pump is bypassing fuel which heats up the fuel.

Ed Wright 02-16-2019 07:38 PM

When I had my '56, I was an aircraft technician. I had our sheet metal shop make me a box, mounted next to the front of the radiator. Was about 6" x 12", (not round) with a -6 an fitting (with an -6 an cap)TIG welded on, drained water right through the factory radiator drain hole. Used aluminum tubing, transfers heat better, top flap/lid was on hinges, with aircraft latches to hold it shut. Testing with it bypassed, or full of ice, fuel lines sweating at the carbs, was a solid 8 hun quicker cold. At Fuel Check, near the scales, those old Carter WCFB float bowls would feel cold, and sweating.
People can repeat "only air temp matters", it's another thing Jere Stahl told me to do, and he was correct. I am not the only person having the same experience with that.
I know a fast Pro Stock car that cools fuel before pouring it in the car, and icing the fuel cell.
That was my experience. Right or wrong.

Ralph A Powell 02-17-2019 10:11 AM

Ed you absolutely correct on this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 582702)
When I had my '56, I was an aircraft technician. I had our sheet metal shop make me a box, mounted next to the front of the radiator. Was about 6" x 12", (not round) with a -6 an fitting (with an -6 an cap)TIG welded on, drained water right through the factory radiator drain hole. Used aluminum tubing, transfers heat better, top flap/lid was on hinges, with aircraft latches to hold it shut. Testing with it bypassed, or full of ice, fuel lines sweating at the carbs, was a solid 8 hun quicker cold. At Fuel Check, near the scales, those old Carter WCFB float bowls would feel cold, and sweating.
People can repeat "only air temp matters", it's another thing Jere Stahl told me to do, and he was correct. I am not the only person having the same experience with that.
I know a fast Pro Stock car that cools fuel before pouring it in the car, and icing the fuel cell.
That was my experience. Right or wrong.

Chevy55 02-17-2019 11:10 AM

I guess this rule pretty much made cool cans obsolete.

General Regulations Section 21, page 5

Fuel/Air:
Any method of artificially cooling or heating fuel prohibited (i.e., cool cans,
Freon, wet rags, etc.), except as noted in Class Requirements. Cool cans,
wet towels, etc. are permitted in Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super
Gas, Super Street, and E.T. classes. Wet towels, rags, ice, etc. must be
removed before vehicle leaves staging area. Coolers, chillers, etc., where
permitted by class requirements, are prohibited outside of the
competitor’s pit. Ambient-temperature air only; cooling or otherwise
changing the conditions of the intake air is prohibited. Spraying of intake
with any artificial spray or coolant prohibited.

GTOMayhem 02-17-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy55 (Post 582741)

Cool cans, wet towels, etc. are permitted in Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Gas, Super Street, and E.T. classes. .

Not obsolete, the way I read it.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Chevy55 02-17-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 582756)
Not obsolete, the way I read it.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Rick I think the cool can must be empty before leaving the staging lanes.

voltdr 02-17-2019 01:40 PM

I read that as saying the external cooling, ice packs and towels laying on the engine must be removed. I remenber seeing the ziplock bag in the staging lanes with ice meling in them..
Dan

MR DERBY CITY 02-17-2019 01:55 PM

Trust me, you can still run a cool can....OR, Throw 3 pieces of dry ice in the fuel cell in the staging lanes and call it a day....Ed Wright, THANK YOU for your reply , heard through the grapevine your jr. Stocker was bad AZZ....

Plyguy63 02-17-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Fuel/Air:

Are there guys cooling fuel before adding to the fuel cell? Illegal? No cool can but cooler fuel?

MR DERBY CITY 02-17-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plyguy63 (Post 582768)
Are there guys cooling fuel before adding to the fuel cell? Illegal? No cool can but cooler fuel?

If you come to Indy and watch class elims you can see what goes on....

Coleydog 02-17-2019 02:40 PM

Personally, unless you can't make the index or running a heads up race, it's a waste of time. That's what the dial in is for, the more complicated it's made, the more chance of mistakes. Have it there if needed like all the other little tricks.
Mike

Ed Wright 02-17-2019 03:39 PM

Personally never seen anybody do any of that for anything but class or heads up.

HR9121 02-17-2019 04:38 PM

Didn't the Emmons boys dump dry ice in the fuel cell last year before the heads up with Mr Larry somewhere?

Ed Wright 02-17-2019 08:50 PM

They do not want any water in the staging lanes. Most use ice before the staging lanes.
Go to Indy, watch what goes on just before the end of the staging lanes. Last time there, they parked me on the left side, maybe 50' before the end of the staging lanes. Lots of guys storing their chillers, ice & sprayers by my motor home. I felt very fortunate when the gentleman parked me there.
Dry Ice is all most will take up there. Last time there I had bags of crushed dry ice on my Intake. Ron Terrel still handed me my ***.

Dave Gantz 02-17-2019 09:41 PM

Other than a cool can, I was taught to dump 5 or 10 gallons of water through the system (In the upper hose, and out the therm housing, no stat), of a hot engine. (That was good until I got to the semi's and final's and they started rushing me.) It was a heads up or record thing, but I stubbornly did it even bracket racing, lol. That practice was also disallowed, I think mostly, also because of the water that could drip off the engine while staging, etc.

Jeff Stout 02-17-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Fuel/Air:

Just thinking out loud with the last part of this rule. Wouldn't cooling the hood or any party of the air that doesn't have fuel in it be illegal? Cooling the intake would be a grey area as your changing the air temperature or are you cooling the fuel?

Ed Wright 02-17-2019 10:14 PM

Cooling the manifold cools the air going into the engine.

House of Darts 02-17-2019 10:31 PM

You are sitting in the pits on a summer day. Averaging temps 85* to 95*. Pit surface, blacktop, stone or concrete, has to be 100*+. Your factory tank, filled with gas, absorbing that heat or a fuel cell that's in your trunk. Metal fuel line about 18 + inches from that same ground. Now all that warm gasoline has to flow thru that small coil of tubing and you expect that gasoline to cool down to what temp? Hot cast iron intake and hot engine compartment, that's a lot of heat to overcome plus the gas temp itself by a small cool can. Iced down intake and carb is probably worth more in performance can luke warm fuel. An engineering friend is going to investigate it this summer. I'll post the results.

Ed Wright 02-18-2019 01:42 PM

Your thinking the fuel won't cool down, traveling through the tubing in the cool can?
Cold sweaty carbs might show different? Mine were sweaty & cool to the touch.

Dave Noll 02-18-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by House of Darts (Post 582805)
You are sitting in the pits on a summer day. Averaging temps 85* to 95*. Pit surface, blacktop, stone or concrete, has to be 100*+. Your factory tank, filled with gas, absorbing that heat or a fuel cell that's in your trunk. Metal fuel line about 18 + inches from that same ground. Now all that warm gasoline has to flow thru that small coil of tubing and you expect that gasoline to cool down to what temp? Hot cast iron intake and hot engine compartment, that's a lot of heat to overcome plus the gas temp itself by a small cool can. Iced down intake and carb is probably worth more in performance can luke warm fuel. An engineering friend is going to investigate it this summer. I'll post the results.

An engineer/author has investigated it, David Vizard. After trying it on his own racecar, he recommends it.

Terry Cain 02-18-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 582803)
Cooling the manifold cools the air going into the engine.

Since water runs through my intake, I'm cooling the water, don't know what you other guys are cooling. lol

Ed Wright 02-19-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Cain (Post 582874)
Since water runs through my intake, I'm cooling the water, don't know what you other guys are cooling. lol

Outside of the Intake runners, where the air passes into the cylinder heads. Different part of the manifold than where water passes through.

pfordamx 02-19-2019 11:12 PM

i brought this subject up to my dad and if you do have a large pump like we use a magnafuel 500 that regens alot of fuel would it be effective to put the cool can in the line returning fuel to the cell from the pump and chill the fuel in the cell say if you had a 3 to 5 gallon cell?? also we run on ethanol which uses more 30% more volume would that increase the effects of running a cool can or do you think it would work at all?

Alan Nyhus 02-20-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfordamx (Post 582983)
i brought this subject up to my dad and if you do have a large pump like we use a magnafuel 500 that regens alot of fuel would it be effective to put the cool can in the line returning fuel to the cell from the pump and chill the fuel in the cell say if you had a 3 to 5 gallon cell?? also we run on ethanol which uses more 30% more volume would that increase the effects of running a cool can or do you think it would work at all?

Where are you thinking of putting the cool can?

pfordamx 02-20-2019 09:57 AM

in the bypass line running back to the cell from the pump. so it would be dumping cooled fuel back in the cell.

Keith 944 02-20-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfordamx (Post 582983)

I really don’t seem to understand unless you were running stock and have a heads up why bother at all????
A lot of hassle for so little gain. and you would have to continue to keep all the variables as close as possible to be consistent not really worth the effort

Alan Nyhus 02-20-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfordamx (Post 583001)
in the bypass line running back to the cell from the pump. so it would be dumping cooled fuel back in the cell.

I meant where would you physically mount the cool can?

pfordamx 02-20-2019 10:28 AM

in the trunk next to the cell. and the pump. we don't run stock but we do run a local NA heads up class and if its really worth .08 its not that much hassle for the et.