CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Race Car Names (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=56212)

fastmachone 12-28-2014 07:42 PM

Race Car Names

I was thinking of a name for my mustang yesterday, and started remembering race car names from the past. Do any of you remember any catchy names?

Tim H 12-28-2014 07:48 PM

Re: Race Car Names

Darkhorse, Mustlestang, Potent Pony

Billy Nees 12-28-2014 07:53 PM

horsesense, warhorse, one trick pony, ponytime, showpony, etc,etc

600ci 12-28-2014 08:13 PM

camaro killer, mopar molester,buick basher, etc:cool:

Bob Don 12-28-2014 08:15 PM

Hobby Horse

richie 2 12-28-2014 08:42 PM

"one more time"

HR9121 12-28-2014 08:45 PM

One of my favorites was "Blue Bayou" and on the back they painted Blew by You.

Rick Blake 12-28-2014 09:25 PM

Pony Up

Dragsinger 12-28-2014 09:32 PM

I like race cars with names and recommend them.

When I build my track it will be a rule for all cars to have names. The announcing will be colorful :)

"Our next pair up is Termite Nest vs Pest Control"

Dick Butler 12-28-2014 09:41 PM

Definitely part of the excitement of old SS when the Ramchargers etc had names BIG on the sides of all cars. Makes it a lot easier to excite people than "red one versus White one"
The Farmer , LawMan, Judy Lilly with the flower. Northwind Chevy. etc

Shaun Quill 12-28-2014 09:58 PM

One of the first race cars i remember with a name when i was little
was Crazy Horse, it was a Mustang at Cecil County.

Rat Raceway 12-28-2014 10:09 PM

The "SAFE" car.

Tod Lane 12-28-2014 10:45 PM

Our old Nova is called "Hurry up and Wait"
Always seemed appro for a Bracket car

Myron Piatek 12-28-2014 11:31 PM

Naming your Mustang doesn't necessarily have to be "horse related". Lots of names are from music of movies. I've had "Locomotion" on my Mopars for about 35 years. I liked the songs by Little Eva & Grand Funk Railroad and one definition of locomotion that I found was "power of movement".

I always thought it would be cool to get Little Eva's autograph and pic, but couldn't imagine how to find her. Ironically, several months before the last time I raced at an IHRA event in Kinston, NC, I saw on the news that she had passed away........ after having lived in Kinston, NC for many years!

Names do attract a lot of interesting attention. At an IHRA national event in Stanton, MI. in 2001 a dad came up with his little daughter and said they wanted to check out the car and say "Hi". The reason was that at dance class, the little girl's favorite song was "Locomotion"! I won that race and was hoping that they would still be around so I could invite them to the winner's circle. Unfortunately, it started pouring rain after the last cars went down the track. So I never found out if they saw the win.

"Names" can give announcers a lot more to talk about, like Snake vs Mongoose, or Sheldon Gecker in his King Kong car vs the '55 Chevy called Godzilla. ( :( Forgot the driver's name.) Great for drawing attention to sponsors!

Magic Carpet Ride
Magnum Force
Tempus Fugit
Mopar Missile
....can't forget Alex Denysenko's "Moneymaker" on his Ford Mustang out of the Chicago area. (Hope he's doing well.)
.......the limits are your imagination. It would be cool to have more of that. It adds some personality to the car and driver. Hope you find a good one.

Chris Barnes 12-29-2014 12:14 AM

I race station wagons and they all say "Wagons of Steel" on them.

I loved Jerry Stein's "Teacher's Pet" cars. "Lawman" "Rolling Stoned" "Brutus" "Pure Hell" "El Chupacabra" "El Toro" "Flintstone Flier" "Blue Max" "Swamp Rat" "Bounty Hunter" "Motown Missile" "War Wagon". Naming cars is awesome.

Nitro Joe Jackson 12-29-2014 12:44 AM

"Iron Pony"

MAURICE BLENDHEIM 12-29-2014 01:19 AM

"My Little Pony" (yours)

FireSale 12-29-2014 02:49 AM

I'm working on two for my Mustang. One is Teachers Pest (I'm a retired teacher) and the other is Cherry Bomb. Red with white Shelby stripes.

Currently called the Garage Monster.

Be creative.

Dale

Bob Bender 12-29-2014 11:37 AM

Pony Express

randy wilson 12-29-2014 01:19 PM

Trojan horse, wild horses, secretariat.

D.Johns 12-29-2014 01:37 PM

One that stuck in my mind was a gentlemen who was not having a successful marriage. His wife at the time would always give him a hard time about building his race car from nothing. She dogged him and called him an impossible dreamer.

They split up and he finished his race car "Pipe Dream".

D.Johns 12-29-2014 01:51 PM

There was a guy (Bob Cosby) who built a modular 4v to race in Factory Stock in the NMRA. When he built the car no modular had been campaigned successfully in that class. Bob insisted it was because no one did a serious engine yet per the rules. He took his 99 cobra swapped out the IRS, put base model seats and the typical street/strip items with an Al Papitto built 4v per the rules. Many still knocked on him saying the modular would never be a competitive racing engine in any class.

The first race the car was completed Bob actually drove the car long distance from his home in Maryland to the race. Running pump gas for the drive and emptying the tank to run the mandated C10(he used the gas he drained to run his generator) and set the new ET and Speed Record that year. Every one was upset and the engine was torn down for inspection...passing tech...

The next race the Black 99 cobra showed up with a new small sticker on the back that read. "The whine maker"

D.Johns 12-29-2014 02:04 PM

I love names on the cars as it harkens back to the old days. I still name my Mustang daily drivers. The last one I just sold to help finish up the engine in my SCJ was named "Jaden". It was an 03 Cobra that had what I consider the normal bolt-ons. I called her Jaden because in 04 while attending the 40th anniversary of the mustang celebration I made the comment while walking past an 03/04 cobra in the parking lot "it probably only pulley and exhaust" which would have made it a 500+hp. My brother told me we had become so jaded as to how easy it had become to make a lot of HP. So when I bought my 03 Cobra in 2006 I couldn't think of a better name....it went from stock to 540hp in 24 hours and to 700hp within a year due to needing more!

I always think the best names have a story behind them....

TGould 12-29-2014 02:24 PM

In the 60s: Color Me Gone, Lawman, Black Widow (DIck Griffin), Storming Bull (Ferd Napfel)

Rich Wallin 12-29-2014 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Old school, Mayfair's Hipo Shop

John Nechiporchik 12-29-2014 08:10 PM

The Godzilla 55 Chevy was Nick and Joanne Iarrussi from the Cleveland area. That altered wheelbase 55 was the most untamed car I ever saw go down the track!!!!

goinbroke2 12-29-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Wallin (Post 456779)
Old school, Mayfair's Hipo Shop

Wow, I must be tired, I read "the hippo shop" and started trying to think what a hippo was...elephant is hemi..mouse is sbc...what is a hippo? Mustang hippo? OH, HI PO! duh...

Mike Schwartz 12-29-2014 11:48 PM

C Horse [If its in a 'C' class], Mane Liner, Neigh Ride,

Jeff Teuton 12-30-2014 11:38 AM

I know they are not Fords (wash my mouth out with soap), we keep talking about naming The Cajun Flyer again on one of these DP's. Maybe one of our 426 cars.

Stephen & Horace Johnson 12-30-2014 02:00 PM

They used to be English Anglia that ran at Green Valley called the "chicken picker"

Dad used to run a 67 Fairlane named "Strip Teaser"

Clark Davis used to run a 64 ford galaxie 2dr sedan named "Ole Blue"

Howard Taylor used to run a 66 Fairlane named "Mr 427"

600ci 12-30-2014 02:31 PM

INSTANT ACTION.............nuff said (capt. cobra jet)

nssracer 12-30-2014 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DragnWagn

Tony Janes 12-30-2014 07:20 PM

I had a name on the 1957 Chevy I had in the sixties. No name on the car I have now or would I put one on any new car. That is in the past as far as I am concerned.

RonTheAnnouncer 12-30-2014 07:59 PM

I would try to throw a name on a car, even using mailbox letters on my slow street junk. My 70 Plymouth Fury 3 and 78 Mercury Marquis were "Land Yacht" and "Land Yacht 2". My 78 Monaco was "Rust Never Sleeps". I had a 70 LeMans that carried the moniker "Metal Circus", named after an EP by legendary punk band Husker Du. I even called my racing endeavors "Metal Circus Racing" long after that. My 78 Aspen was sorta named. My buddies had a band and "sponsored" me, so I put the name of the band on the front fenders: Paranoid Lovesick. If someone wants the cool but lengthy explanation of the name, I'll type it up. The next car I build (someday I hope) will be called "The Hard Way". This is in tribute to my late father, who never did things the easy way when it came to anything, and I (for better or worse) have followed that example. As an announcer, I absolutely LOVE named cars, especially ones that are something fun or personal.

Dwight Southerland 12-30-2014 09:00 PM

Mustang:

Horse Cents
Ridin' High
High Tail It

600ci 12-30-2014 09:19 PM

Motown Missile

Bill Howell 12-30-2014 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was my 1970 CJ Mustang in the early 70's.

Charlie A 12-30-2014 11:22 PM

"Nag"

"Old Nag"

"Super Nag"

"NiteTime Nag"........endless combinations

FireSale 12-31-2014 11:53 AM

Nay Sayer

Dale

600ci 12-31-2014 03:01 PM