CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   .90 Heads Up Class Racing (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Super class survey (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=30122)

TS310C 12-06-2010 02:47 PM

Super class survey

Anyone get their super class survey email yet? I did and the survey was a little confusing, I thought. It was one question only and that was what you wanted your index to be. They gave 3 choices for S/G 9.90, 9.50 and 8.90. However, I don't know if I didn't read carefully enough or what, but I thought it was asking which class you raced so they could send you to the correct survey. Therefore, I clicked on 9.90. Now I know that I am the poster child for A.D.D. and that others may pay more attention (assuming the info was actually there) but if I did this then surely there are others that will do the same thing.

Rick Bailey 12-06-2010 03:00 PM

Re: Super class survey

Ryan.......from NHRA ?.............why don't you copy and paste for those that haven't or may not !!

Don't you just love it when the ADD kicks ,kicks,kicks, kicks,kicks, in !

Rick

TruRacrMotorsports 12-06-2010 03:03 PM

Here is what I have...I think things in all classes should stay how they are...what a bunch of balogna! One of the choices for SST is bracket racing...What the!? Is the West Coast smoking something!?

Dear Racer,
You are receiving this e-mail resultant to discussions between NHRA and the Sportsman Racers Advisory Council for the Super Categories. The discussion centered about the possibility of changing the index or manner of competition in Super Street. The SRAC representatives feel there is a need to lower the indexes by up to a full second in Super Comp and Super Gas, but did not feel that was warranted for the Super Street category. The discussion did raise some questions about Super Street however.

The manner of competition that is up for discussion would be the possibility of changing Super Street from its current state to a full tree category with class parameters of 10.00 to 10.99, dial your own index. The second question is to allow Super Street racers to run a second vehicle in another category at Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series events.

We are asking for your input to further this discussion. Please follow the link below to cast your vote to either leave indexes as they are or change to one of the options listed, and for the possibilities of change to the competition policies of your category.

Here is a link to the survey:

This poll is not intended to be a final determination of any change. It is simply a way for us to gather information to see if a change is even on the radar. Poll results will be published at nhra.com.
Thank you for your support of NHRA Drag Racing and Happy Holidays,
Mike Rice
NHRA Pacific Division Director
SRAC Super Category Chairperson

Tom Joseph 12-06-2010 03:04 PM

I hope all of you think this out. As I get older I seem to be more thoughtfull of others and what I believe is if NHRA makes SG 8.90 and SC 7.90 they will lose part of their base. I have a SG car that will easily run 8.90 but some don't. Does NHRA think those that can't will just call up an engine builder and order a new 1000 HP motor for 15 to 25 grand just because NHRA and some people that didn't think this out said so. Nope won't happen they will go to IHRA or bracket race and the car counts will go down. NHRA is the one that stands to lose the most here so I am confused as to why they are even thinking of this. I'm emailing NHRA and say just what I have said here. Merry Christmas to all.

TruRacrMotorsports 12-06-2010 03:05 PM

Too early...that was my SST, this is what I just got for SC....

Dear Racer,
You are receiving this e-mail resultant to discussions between NHRA and the Sportsman Racers Advisory Council for the Super Categories. The discussion centered about the possibility of changing the indexes of Super Comp and Super Gas. The SRAC representatives feel there is a need to lower the indexes by up to a full second. Both categories have had the same index since their inception into NHRA competition and the SRAC feel the need to change is based upon safety and the need to keep pace with the growing phenomenon of having larger horsepower engines.

We are asking for your input to further this discussion. Please follow the link below to cast your vote to either leave indexes as they are or change to one of the options listed. If you are licensed for both categories, you will receive separate emails for each, as we would like to keep the class votes separate.

This poll is not intended to be a final determination for any possible change. It is simply a way for us to gather information to see if a change is even on the radar. Poll results will be published at nhra.com.

Here is a link to the survey:

Thank you for your support of NHRA Drag Racing and Happy Holidays,

Mike Rice
NHRA Pacific Division Director
SRAC Super Category Chairperson

Bryan Gillespie 12-06-2010 03:08 PM

got mine, faster,faster
FYI it did say do not forward and to those who do there will be red lights in 2011, LMAO

PAT 3340 12-06-2010 03:13 PM

scotty, do you sit at the computer all day???

Rick Bailey 12-06-2010 03:22 PM

Sorry kiddies,, if the classes change, Hayden and I will be done !.....................At best, (with fresh rebuild) I'm good for 8 teens................... I'll be damned if I spend 20g for and eng and convertor. And because some folks knocked the **** out of the indexes because of MPH.

Thats right ! I said it ...............lol

Rick

TS310C 12-06-2010 04:08 PM

I don't know that I have really spent much time thinking about this. I guess I can see both sides. For me, if I want to go faster I just enter S/C. I ran a couple of races with the Midwest Super Comp guys last year and had a blast. I was able to do that without NHRA changing any indexes. If some of the fast super comp cars want to go faster I suppose they could run T/D. There are some races that would be hard to qualify for, but that is what a 100hp shot of nitrous is for. LOL I don't know, a big part of me says leave well enough alone. If anyone actually thinks it will put more spectators in the stands they are dreaming. Until NHRA decides to give tickets away like ADRL and Norwalk they won't get any more spectators at these races.

I guess the other side is that these indexes have been the same since the inception of the class and all other classes have gotten faster. But then again, the super classes are different than the other classes.

Whatever, my brain hurts! LOL

Jeremy Lehrke 12-06-2010 04:18 PM

Clutch Man-

1) There is hardly anyone in the stands that watch super class cars anyway...and the people that are there are usually standing as close to the finish line as possible, as high up as they can, most of which are either friends, family, or other racers.

2) If the indexes are adjusted all that is gonna happen in a year or two is that the guys who can still afford to .90 race will have motors/cars that are capable of running way under the index. Eventually the cars are going to be sitting on the stop like they are now, maybe not quite as long as now, but on the stop none the less.

In my opinion the .90 class cars should stay the same. Same tree, same index. If I wanna go faster I will, but I don't need it to be mandatory because NHRA changed the index in the class I'm running.

Just my .02

Lehrke

Dave Steltz 12-06-2010 04:41 PM

I got both ....SST and SG...heres my take..

Screw Div and Nat events, sitting around for days on end and getting a run here or there...

I'm going small association and bracket racing..

I love the Pro Tree part, just not the ridiculous entry fees and crappy payout...

And the Scotty rule...in todays environment, who cares...does anyone really think that some big hitters will all of a suddden go buy ex-pro stock cars, weight them down to weigh 2800 lbs and come to SST ? Oh thats right we dont have any of those now..not...plenty of 150 mph chassis SST cars out there today...to me its more about the guy who runs SST today and wants to get a stocker or something...

And dont tell me about MPH differences and safety...why is it different than backet racing a 10.90 car against a 7.40 dragster...happens all day...its probably alot worse driving one of those 15 second stockers against some of the newer 9 sec stockers..

And lastly people in the stands...hmmm thinking not...if you use the stop, its over for them...regardless of you're on for 1 sec or 5...

Ok back to your regularly scheduled program..gotta go take my meds...

The LL 12-06-2010 05:26 PM

three classes:

run what you brung

CBS 12-06-2010 05:39 PM

a seperate E-Mail should go out to all racers in 8.90...9.90 ...and 10.90...

for each class that you race....you will get an e-mail.....only racers with competition

numbers in those classes will get the e-mail....

click on the link and select what index you would like possibly in the future.....ok....

this is just to see what everybody thinks........nothing more...

I voted to leave them alone....in case you were wondering.....I don't really care...lol

Rock

John DiBartolomeo 12-06-2010 05:42 PM

I'd like to just reiterate what Rock said. This is just a fact-finding mission to see what everyone thinks. Nothing more than a fishing expedition. As far as we're told, there will be no changes in 2011.

I did vote to move the index to a .50 though.

Bryan Gillespie 12-06-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The LL (Post 226263)
three classes:

run what you brung

winner winner chicken dinner !

chester 12-06-2010 06:27 PM

i voted to leave it alone, no since going faster at a national event if they won't do better track prep.

chebby2 12-06-2010 06:32 PM

It won't put fans in the stands. If you want that require all cars to do 5ft wheel stands. Leave well enough alone..

GaryGoFast 12-06-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chester (Post 226276)
i voted to leave it alone, no since going faster at a national event if they won't do better track prep.

exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdCkrHa-pfY

Dave Bergfeldt 12-06-2010 07:00 PM

I'm with you Gary! I voted with the leave it alone crowd. Those who no me know why!

JMatt 12-06-2010 07:39 PM

Are they sending e-mails out in batches? Haven't got one yet. I'm both S/C and S/G. Got all my points this year in S/G though.

PAT 3340 12-06-2010 08:42 PM

I think if they want to change it (which I disagre in) because they havent changed anything since the begining then they should also make super stock and stock be a random pairing first round!!!

Chris Williams 12-06-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

three classes:

run what you brung

Agree completely. Easier for everyone to understand. Ever try to explain to someone that an 8.899 is a breakout, but an 8.989 is legal but slow? Make it 8.00, then anything with a 7.xx is an obvious breakout.

And the fact that you can run a door car in SC but can't run a dragster in SG is silly. Just put up times, choose your class, run what you brung. Heck add an 11.00 class if you need to. Call it Super Slow :)

My $0.02, worth what you paid for it...
Chris

sc321 12-06-2010 09:54 PM

As you can see I do not normally chim in on these thing, raced SC for many years, retired, back to Jegs SQ for years, than SST (screw the scotty rule), wanted to go faster purchased SG, wanted more speed got TD. Don't kid yourself like any form of motorsports it's all about $$$$. Unless your blind anyone who has attended div of nats or the past 5 years will see what the down turn in ecomony has done to car counts. Lower the index and you will see more drop off. It's simple if you want to go faster go TS, TD, Comp, TAD, PS you get the picture. I do agree we need spectators in the stand. Any chance we get to introduce newbees to the sport we do. The first question when .90 class cars run is why pause (on stop), a newbee just can not comprehend, you wants spectators get rid of stops all together!!! Any thats even kidding youself hit hard to get them to watch 200mph TS or TD. We will never get new blood in this sport if it costing 75g for a SG car.

Adub464Q 12-06-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

three classes:

run what you brung

Lance, I'll kill you! LOL jk.

This poll is completely ridiculous. I for one am opposed. Fortunately, I am a person who only has about 20-25 grand in my entire Super Comp operation. I was fortunate to who have won a dragster through a bracket race and have progressed up to the Super Comp category.

By changing the indexes, this becomes a rich man sport. To be able to run 8.0 or even 7.90, one would have to sink another 15-20 grand in another motor. In today's times, I would assume that this is not feasible for many people.

Take a look at national events, the super comp category was full the majority of the time. Why change something that works?

My motor will only run 8.20's or so, therefore I would not be able to make the index change. You don't have to run 175+ to be competitive these days.

By no way am I gloating or bragging on myself, but in the last three years, I have been able to be competitive in super comp going 158-59 mph. I made it to the Allstars this year, finish second in the division, and have even won a couple divisionals and made it to the final of a national.

The status quo has not changed so neither should the indexes. Like mama said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Austin Williams
S/C 464Q
STK 464Q

CBS 12-06-2010 11:36 PM

Austin,

"completely ridiculous" is a little harsh.....everybody has their opinion.....just put your vote in and lets see what the majority wants......it should be interesting.....

The results will be posted on one of the nhra sites when the poll ends.....I think on the 15th.....

Rock Haas

Adub464Q 12-07-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBS (Post 226348)
Austin,

"completely ridiculous" is a little harsh.....everybody has their opinion.....just put your vote in and lets see what the majority wants......it should be interesting.....

The results will be posted on one of the nhra sites when the poll ends.....I think on the 15th.....

Rock Haas

You're probably right rock, lol. Heat of the moment I guess. It's just infuriating to possibly see your combination become "obsolete" for lack of a better word. Yes I do bracket race still though.

I guess I'm a little biased in this situation, hahaha.

The LL 12-07-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adub464Q (Post 226331)
Lance, I'll kill you! LOL jk.

This poll is completely ridiculous. I for one am opposed. Fortunately, I am a person who only has about 20-25 grand in my entire Super Comp operation. I was fortunate to who have won a dragster through a bracket race and have progressed up to the Super Comp category.

By changing the indexes, this becomes a rich man sport. To be able to run 8.0 or even 7.90, one would have to sink another 15-20 grand in another motor. In today's times, I would assume that this is not feasible for many people.

Take a look at national events, the super comp category was full the majority of the time. Why change something that works?

My motor will only run 8.20's or so, therefore I would not be able to make the index change. You don't have to run 175+ to be competitive these days.

By no way am I gloating or bragging on myself, but in the last three years, I have been able to be competitive in super comp going 158-59 mph. I made it to the Allstars this year, finish second in the division, and have even won a couple divisionals and made it to the final of a national.

The status quo has not changed so neither should the indexes. Like mama said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Austin Williams
S/C 464Q
STK 464Q

hey austin you know if i can boot you out of SC there's one less person to clip me.....lol

seriously, for the 8.00, 9.00, 10.00 thing to work, NHRA would have to lift the restrictions on entries.....i.e. a slower dragster would be able to enter in "super gas 9.00"

if the indexes are left alone, i say either 1) let dragsters run 9.90 (and maybe even 10.90), or 2) boot the roadsters and door cars out of super comp. not that i mind running door cars or roadsters, i just dont like double standards.

regardless, i think 10.90 should be made a "regular" super class......same pro tree, allow drivers to run multiple cars....etc etc.

SCOTT SST2871 12-07-2010 09:17 AM

My car will only run 10.30s or 40s so you know my answer but also think about this if your trying to help car counts
its easier to slow one down than it is to speed it up(especially on my budget)
and with a 10.00 index you no longer have a super class that an unlicensed driver can run,some drivers have gone to s/st because they can no longer get licensed or cant afford to go as fast
scott fifield

SG1809 12-07-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joseph (Post 226240)
I hope all of you think this out. As I get older I seem to be more thoughtfull of others and what I believe is if NHRA makes SG 8.90 and SC 7.90 they will lose part of their base. I have a SG car that will easily run 8.90 but some don't. Does NHRA think those that can't will just call up an engine builder and order a new 1000 HP motor for 15 to 25 grand just because NHRA and some people that didn't think this out said so. Nope won't happen they will go to IHRA or bracket race and the car counts will go down. NHRA is the one that stands to lose the most here so I am confused as to why they are even thinking of this. I'm emailing NHRA and say just what I have said here. Merry Christmas to all.

I agree completely this will force several cars out of Super Class racing in NHRA. What is this going to accomplish? Nothing. Safety? I don't think so. Bad Idea.
Regards,
Pat I.
SG1809

slow dragster 12-07-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joseph (Post 226240)
I hope all of you think this out. As I get older I seem to be more thoughtfull of others and what I believe is if NHRA makes SG 8.90 and SC 7.90 they will lose part of their base. I have a SG car that will easily run 8.90 but some don't. Does NHRA think those that can't will just call up an engine builder and order a new 1000 HP motor for 15 to 25 grand just because NHRA and some people that didn't think this out said so. Nope won't happen they will go to IHRA or bracket race and the car counts will go down.

I am with Tom on this one. I too have a car that will run the 7.90 index but there are several that can not. My guess is about 25-30% can not. So take 25-30% of the field and figure out where they will go? Let say 0% will upgrade because if they had more money they would be going faster anyway. I would say they will go bracket racing or sell it.

I voted for the .50 to keep the fields the same. Anymore will remove people from it.

Just my opinion,

Brian

darkside 12-07-2010 11:02 AM

I love SG and SC raced it forever until a few years ago. Heck I've raced about every class and will adjust to whatever the rules are in the class I choose to run in at a given time.

When I first thought about this, my first thought was why in the heck would anyone wanna screw with something so right as these classes are. But after further examination, it just makes sense to change the indexs. I can't help but think only about 20-30% are effected at all, and those that run more than a race or two has to be 10% or less. Take that into account along with the fact that I am not sure you can even build a engine in a standard dragster that would actually run 8.90 anymore and it is time to get in the present, it is going to be 2011 you know.

If I am in the minority, no problem, at least thanks to Rock and the other member of SRAC for bringing this up along with the other safty things they are working on.

SCohen 12-07-2010 11:21 AM

This is a poll when the racers that race these classes respond to the poll then we will know what the racers want. That is A step in the right direction unlike stock and super stock getting three tenths off every index with no idea it was coming. You should be happy you were asked your opinion instead of this just being made a new rule, and you get to see the results of the poll when its finished. What more could you ask for?

Steve Cohen

slow dragster 12-07-2010 11:33 AM

I guess my thought was 25-30% of S/C run 7.90 to 8.60 all out. 150 to165 mph. That said if we lower it to 8.50 these people will still be able to run class. Same for S/G and SST.
I think the move for S/G will effect more but they will probably add weight move to Super street.

I should add the poll is a great idea. It is a chance for everyone to give their opinion of what they think is a good place to be with the index.

Brian

Rick Bailey 12-07-2010 01:22 PM

Steve, Rock ....yeah the polls are way cool, and a big change. Now on this poll, is it NHRA or the racers that are wanting it. ?

I would of like to seen a poll of "JUST" adding a 7.90 class for the fast guys. And leave other classes alone.

Thanks Guys, keep up the good work

Rick

jmcarter 12-07-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Bailey (Post 226418)
Steve, Rock ....yeah the polls are way cool, and a big change. Now on this poll, is it NHRA or the racers that are wanting it. ?

I would of like to seen a poll of "JUST" adding a 7.90 class for the fast guys. And leave other classes alone.

Thanks Guys, keep up the good work

Rick

Can't they just go TD or TS if they want to spend mega bucks on motors?

Rick Bailey 12-07-2010 01:38 PM

Jim,
I think the argument would be, TS TD is not pro tree, heads -up racing.

To me....it's the easest thing to do just add one class, and leave everything else alone.......no one get screwed !

Rick

Mickey Whaley 12-07-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 226398)
I love SG and SC raced it forever until a few years ago. Heck I've raced about every class and will adjust to whatever the rules are in the class I choose to run in at a given time.

When I first thought about this, my first thought was why in the heck would anyone wanna screw with something so right as these classes are. But after further examination, it just makes sense to change the indexs. I can't help but think only about 20-30% are effected at all, and those that run more than a race or two has to be 10% or less. Take that into account along with the fact that I am not sure you can even build a engine in a standard dragster that would actually run 8.90 anymore and it is time to get in the present, it is going to be 2011 you know.

If I am in the minority, no problem, at least thanks to Rock and the other member of SRAC for bringing this up along with the other safty things they are working on.

I agree with lynn and steve c

T Hall 12-07-2010 08:53 PM

I vote leave index alone.
As far as s/st drivers being able to drive other classes, I vote Yes as long as it is not s super catagory. Let them run stock, or super stock is fine.
I agree with Rock though, whatever, I dont care, but thanks for askin.

Terry Edwards 12-07-2010 09:19 PM

Hi guys and gals. For those who don't know me, I am the D5 super class rep. I would like to give my input on a few things.
First of all, the email that was sent out to the super class racers stated that the Sportsman Advisory Council felt there is a need to lower the indexes. That is not actually true. The council agreed that a vote should be conducted to include all racers' input on if the indexes should be lowered, and we unanimously said yes to an online poll.
I took an unofficial poll at the Topeka division race in August in which I handed out ballots in the staging lanes. Racers returned their vote on some of the same issues you are voting on now. The overall results just to let you know were:
  • Index change?.. 75 voted no (leave it be) and 8 voted yes (lower it)
  • Super Street racers able to run 2 classes?.. 58 voted yes (change the rule) and 25 voted no (leave it alone)
As you can see, only about one third of the super class racers in attendence responded. I hope there are more that speak their mind to the online poll. Also, all my fellow D5 racers need to vote again on the online poll. I don't want them to think they have already voted from the unofficial survey I took.
I am not going to give my opinion on here. There are pros and cons to both sides. I will just vote on what I think will be best for the sport on the online poll. Thanks, Terry

mopar 12-07-2010 11:52 PM

where is this survey coming from have not seen it at this point

Ron Waters s/st 1346