CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tear down at Gainsville? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72431)

Mike Graham 03-09-2019 01:19 AM

Tear down at Gainsville?

I see a run that triggered a instant hit at Gainsville. I wonder if there will be teardown?

X-TECH MAN 03-09-2019 08:40 AM

Re: Tear down at Gainsville?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Graham (Post 584227)
I see a run that triggered a instant hit at Gainsville. I wonder if there will be teardown?

LOL.......Heh Heh.........!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Wright 03-09-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Graham (Post 584227)

Who & what class?

KEN BUGAJ 03-09-2019 10:05 AM

Not like it used to be, I know in the 1960's thru the late 90's if you were in the top 20 you had better be ready. You haven't lived until you backed in the grass next to the time slip shack
at the summer national's. lol

J.R. Haddad 03-09-2019 10:47 AM

Ed, Larry DeForrest, FS/D.

ALMACK 03-09-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 584238)
Who & what class?

# 1 qualifier ??

1 3499 U/S Gary Summers, Franklin KY, '76 Mustang 13.332 14.65 -1.318

james schaechter 03-09-2019 12:55 PM

Should be three in the barn. Both of summers and Larry’s as well if they are going to do it.

Mike Graham 03-09-2019 01:48 PM

Maybe it is only part of the "West Coast Rulebook"

Bob Smith 03-09-2019 03:09 PM

They should tear down every car that goes 1.20 or more under. Should be verified before an engine combo is hit or ruined for that racer and others with the same combo.

Jack McCarthy 03-09-2019 06:07 PM

That’s what they told me graham when they tore him down in Pomona ... all -120 runs will be inspected in 2019 ... or did they just wanna screw with mike ??? BS 😒

Gary Summers 03-09-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack McCarthy (Post 584278)
That’s what they told me graham when they tore him down in Pomona ... all -120 runs will be inspected in 2019 ... or did they just wanna screw with mike ??? BS 😒

I’ve been in the tear down barn numerous times thru the many years I’ve raced. If you are scared of the barn, don’t bring your car to the track & race it! I build my motors legal & im not scared to tear down. I have probably been torn down more times than all of you put together.

james schaechter 03-09-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Summers (Post 584280)
I’ve been in the tear down barn numerous times thru the many years I’ve raced. If you are scared of the barn, don’t bring your car to the track & race it! I build my motors legal & im not scared to tear down. I have probably been torn down more times than all of you put together.

Truth! LOL. Still should have been torn down though....

Joe Marcinowski 03-09-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Smith (Post 584274)
They should tear down every car that goes 1.20 or more under. Should be verified before an engine combo is hit or ruined for that racer and others with the same combo.

A little off topic but that combo is a long way from being ruined. Just sayin.

Mike Graham 03-09-2019 07:03 PM

Gary this was not specifically targeted at you. I have also been torn down many many times and never been tossed. I was told at Pomona that they were going to start tearing down more cars this year,starting with 1.20 under runs. I would like to see this. I was hoping that this wasn't a 1 race deal.

Jack McCarthy 03-09-2019 08:03 PM

Yea please don’t think that Gary ... I was there when they tore mike down in Pomona word was new policy for 2019 ... I’m sure you’d been legit just wondering if it was new policy or mikes luck sucks 😏👍👍

Ed Fernandez 03-09-2019 10:06 PM

NHRA class racers will get away with what the boobs in the tech dept. will let them. If they factored cars correctly there wouldn't be so many runaway combos. My gremlin 6 cylinder was never factored more than 10 HP less than the 160 factory number, that's with a humongous Carter BBD that flowed 237 CFM. No disrespect towards the racers, my problems was with the organization.

HR9121 03-10-2019 12:42 AM

I think this is an issue that we should be petitioning our SRAC reps to be pushing hard for from NHRA. When someone hits the 1.20 under mark, it should be mandatory teardown without question. There's not a doubt in my mind that Mr Summers would have passed with flying colors but when this happens it can affect so many people, atleast with a teardown there's no question.

James Perrone 03-10-2019 08:29 AM

Guys. This is turning into The Golf Channel
Where a viewer calls in with rule violation. I mean look at the car in question
It’s #1 qualifier Every race.
Baby Gators 🐊 You had To Be There.
I have a good sunburn lAnd a class Wally

Frank Castros 03-10-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Perrone (Post 584319)

James congratulations on your class win.

HR9121 03-10-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Perrone (Post 584319)

James I don't think nobody is questioning the car buddy it's the fact that when some go 1.20 under they get tore down then sometimes they don't. Congratulations on your class win and good luck down there. Don't forget to use sunblock I don't want your fair skin to burn!

Ellis A Buth 03-10-2019 11:03 AM

Gary is at the nhra trailer this morning

Ken Miele 03-10-2019 12:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hopefully the photos put this thread to rest.

Kenney Kelley 03-10-2019 02:47 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words. In this case 3000 words.

Kenney Kelley

Ken Miele 03-10-2019 05:37 PM

I did not get photos, but Larry Deforrest was also in tear down.

mopacltd 03-10-2019 08:16 PM

Who are all those old guys? LOL

Randy Parker 03-10-2019 09:15 PM

I'm not a Ford guy, but is the engine in the trunk? Asking for a friend!

Scott Loge 03-11-2019 01:38 AM

Pick a number and tear down that guy! The # 1 guys know it’s comin! Make it random at each national or whatever! It would be fun to see!

Larry Hill 03-11-2019 08:06 AM

It looks like the tear down was Danny, Harry, Travis and one more. I would say the inspection would be as good if not better, more time, than Indy.
1.20 under deserves an official look.

fredjohnston 03-11-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenney Kelley (Post 584341)
A picture is worth a thousand words. In this case 3000 words.

Kenney Kelley

The picture seems to say "it's got a motor, it looks about the right size and it's not in the trunk. So good to go".

G Schenck 03-11-2019 04:48 PM

I still believe that Danny is getting a cold one from the ice chest.

Greg

jmantle 03-11-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HR9121 (Post 584306)
I think this is an issue that we should be petitioning our SRAC reps to be pushing hard for from NHRA. When someone hits the 1.20 under mark, it should be mandatory teardown without question. There's not a doubt in my mind that Mr Summers would have passed with flying colors but when this happens it can affect so many people, atleast with a teardown there's no question.

So do you apply the teardown rule to national opens as well?
How many think the 1.20 under trigger should apply to national opens?

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632

killintime6968 03-11-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Miele (Post 584332)
Hopefully the photos put this thread to rest.

On a lighter note, I thought they were checking for moonshine.

MR DERBY CITY 03-12-2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmantle (Post 584457)

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632

1.20 under runs at opens do not receive HP....

Jim Wahl 03-12-2019 09:04 AM

After talking to Travis this weekend I know he for one would looooove to see more tear downs but the powers that be aren't feelin' it. When I was running the Caddy FWD Stockers we were torn down all the time. Three times one year by Travis alone! Jim

Dan Lattimore 03-12-2019 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=Jim Wahl;584478]After talking to Travis this weekend I know he for one would looooove to see more tear downs but the powers that be aren't feelin' it. When I was running the Caddy FWD Stockers we were torn down all the time. Three times one year by Travis alone! Jim

That was the norm then. Don't know when they stopped doing it but if you raced at Indy in the 70's you were torn down before the race. Every single car in competition went thru pre race teardown .

Mike Pearson 03-12-2019 10:01 AM

[QUOTE=Dan Lattimore;584484]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Wahl (Post 584478)
After talking to Travis this weekend I know he for one would looooove to see more tear downs but the powers that be aren't feelin' it. When I was running the Caddy FWD Stockers we were torn down all the time. Three times one year by Travis alone! Jim

That was the norm then. Don't know when they stopped doing it but if you raced at Indy in the 70's you were torn down before the race. Every single car in competition went thru pre race teardown .

Now that they have cut back on the quota for the classes at the national events there is not as much money to employ enough trained tech personnel to handle a large amount of tear down. NHRA does have the protest clause in the rule book. If you think someone is not legal you can put up the cash to have them looked at. I really doubt that you would find very many flagrant cheaters out there. some minor infractions might be found but nothing that would be effecting the cars performance by huge amounts. I got torn down at the gators about 15 years ago after winning class. during the tear down they found my intake valve was .001 undersize due to the valve tuliping and bounced me. After I made the corrections and put new valves in the heads the car picked up almost a tenth. So not all infractions are performance enhancing.

Dan Lattimore 03-12-2019 10:29 AM

Incredible amount of irony in Mike's first sentence.

HR9121 03-12-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmantle (Post 584457)

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632

As someone already stated I wouldn't say it waa necessary at Opens unless setting a record. I just think if someone causes a combination to get home it should be verified.

Mark Yacavone 03-12-2019 11:12 AM

I remember Indy when ALL class winners went to Paul Harvey Ford for teardown. If someone didn't pass, they'd bring in the runner-up.
1978 Gainesville (no class run-offs), Top 16 Q's were invited to Blount Pontiac for a piston party ..Yes all had a piston out , one way or the other.They did have a few lifts available. I was lucky enough to be no. 15 ;-)

One should remember, there were less categories then. No .90 cars, fast bracket racers.
We were done for the day at 4 p.m....To the dealership by 5 .

Dan Fahey 03-12-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Wahl (Post 584478)

I remember the first tear down at Moroso in 1983.
You had to get a local Caddy Technician to help tear down the car.

D