CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Transmission Converter Options (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=69808)

Dan Fahey 05-07-2018 11:45 AM

Transmission Converter Options

I am running into a new issue.

Currently running a 4L60E trans and Yank PT4400 Locking Converter
Needs more converter but nobody makes a higher stall speed Converter.

Which makes plans to move up to Stock interesting.
I like the programmability of the 4L60E.

So what options are out there?
Also will I need have drive shaft issues?

Dan

Brian Fink 05-07-2018 12:50 PM

Re: Transmission Converter Options

Dan,
You have really answered your own question ; purchase a good turbo 200 and you will have any of a number of convertor shops to choose from .The reality of stock eliminator is if you don't do it right the first time you will be sorry .

Mark Yacavone 05-07-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Fahey (Post 562612)
Needs more converter but nobody makes a higher stall speed Converter.

Dan

News to me.
Do you mean lock up converter?

Dan Fahey 05-07-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 562662)
News to me.
Do you mean lock up converter?

Correct!

Mark Yacavone 05-08-2018 12:09 AM

What do you need a lock converter for? You won't even use 4th anyway.

Dan Fahey 05-08-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 562698)
What do you need a lock converter for? You won't even use 4th anyway.

For one...You can gear it like a Manual.

Mark Yacavone 05-08-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Fahey (Post 562700)
For one...You can gear it like a Manual.

Most race manuals use a direct 4th. You can under drive an old Nash or maybe even G-Force, but not overdrive it.

ss3011 05-08-2018 12:20 PM

Come on Mark , a converter clutch will certainly be more efficient in high gear , the question will be how it will effect the launch with all that extra inertia on the turbine .

FrankM 05-08-2018 12:54 PM

When I ordered mine from ATI they suggested to lose the lockup and go with an 8" and for that exact reason with the reduced weight Charlie felt it would work better overall.

Mark Yacavone 05-08-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss3011 (Post 562726)
Come on Mark , a converter clutch will certainly be more efficient in high gear , the question will be how it will effect the launch with all that extra inertia on the turbine .

Russ, I have never thought that a deal like that absolutely would not work in Stock.
However, what Dan has on hand may work in Pure Stock, but it's all wrong, wrong, wrong for stock eliminator. You know that.
We're not trying to re-invent the wheel here. Just run a couple of tenths under the K/SA index. That is, I think that's the plan.
Going to have to agree with Brian here. Just set that o/d., lock up deal under the bench for now.

ss3011 05-08-2018 02:13 PM

I still think that this might work , with a 3.06 low gear and only running to 3rd . Big drop on the 1-2 shift which would need a looser converter to recover from , but the loose converter hurts upstairs with a heavy car , so lock up in high gear and get your mph back . Its worth a try , just need a converter company willing to help .

Lee Valentine 05-08-2018 02:19 PM

Just on the drag factor a 200 should be a day and a half faster than a 4LE60 or us idiots have been doing it all wrong.

Dan Fahey 05-08-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 562733)
Russ, I have never thought that a deal like that absolutely would not work in Stock.
However, what Dan has on hand may work in Pure Stock, but it's all wrong, wrong, wrong for stock eliminator. You know that.
We're not trying to re-invent the wheel here. Just run a couple of tenths under the K/SA index. That is, I think that's the plan.
Going to have to agree with Brian here. Just set that o/d., lock up deal under the bench for now.

Mark;
YANK designed a strong converter and its costs a bit more.
Their Locking Converter uses a wider Clutch band.

Our Impala Club has Twin Turbo Cars that use the Locking Converter.
They have a lot more power than my car.

The Yank LC is a little heavier than other LC.
Yet works out well launching my 4100+ Lb car.
I understand how a lighter converter can work in a much lighter Car.

Towing you can Manually Lock the Converter for better mileage on flatter grades.

Vigilante and Edge are good too for racing but do not have the wider Clutch feature as the Yank.

Have 4.56 gears now not using the lock feature.
Same RPM range can use 5.38's or 5.13's with a 30 inch tall tire Locked.
Cruises great with the OD and converter locked.

As for getting under the K/SA 12.65 index.
Car is going to make a good bit more power and building reliability first.
Planning installing full up properly beefed 10 bolt Rear.
Still needs a Roll Bar and smaller gas tank.

Doing things in stages and still having fun a Pure Stocker.

One of the things learned from our Impala Club.
Build up the weak points before adding power.

Dan

ss3011 05-08-2018 02:36 PM

I have seen hybrid converters with a 8" core , but a larger 298 mm clutch and front cover . That style converter has way too much inertia to work well in Stock . What might work pretty well is a 245 mm converter which is a lot lighter and only slightly bigger than a 8" Opel converter.

Personally I think you will need more rearend gear , but you can creep up on that , once you get going .

Good Luck

Dan Fahey 05-08-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss3011 (Post 562744)
I have seen hybrid converters with a 8" core , but a larger 298 mm clutch and front cover . That style converter has way too much inertia to work well in Stock . What might work pretty well is a 245 mm converter which is a lot lighter and only slightly bigger than a 8" Opel converter.

Personally I think you will need more rearend gear , but you can creep up on that , once you get going .

Good Luck

The 4L60E and R700 have a 3.08 First gear.
Great for launching.

BTW what RPM do you cross the traps at?

D

ss3011 05-08-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Valentine (Post 562742)
Just on the drag factor a 200 should be a day and a half faster than a 4LE60 or us idiots have been doing it all wrong.

Totally agree with you . I had probably the first stocker to run a 200thm in my 83 307 Cutlass . Definitely faster than a 350 or a 400 .

I think Dan wants to work with a 4L60e , and that's cool too ! There are a lot of large diameter steel drums inside that beast , and I am not sure if any aftermarket company making aluminum replacements .

Dan Fahey 05-08-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss3011 (Post 562753)
Totally agree with you . I had probably the first stocker to run a 200thm in my 83 307 Cutlass . Definitely faster than a 350 or a 400 .

I think Dan wants to work with a 4L60e , and that's cool too ! There are a lot of large diameter steel drums inside that beast , and I am not sure if any aftermarket company making aluminum replacements .

4L60E is what I have and know and it is built up.
For now going with what I have.

A built 200thm costs a good bit.
The R700 and 4L60E are stronger, right now prefer reliability.
They have similar internals.
Should already have some light weight race components.

This is a good conversation.

D

HandOverFist 05-08-2018 09:21 PM

Feeling pretty good about my current Coan Lite TH350 w/low gearset vs the metric 200 so far.

Sam Lusco 05-08-2018 09:49 PM

I know someone with a 200 for sale with only 4 or 5 runs on it.

Dan Fahey 05-08-2018 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandOverFist (Post 562772)
Feeling pretty good about my current Coan Lite TH350 w/low gearset vs the metric 200 so far.

Coan makes good transmissions!
Liked them when they started business in the early 80s.

The Metric 200 is fine for a lighter car.
4000lb plus weight you need a wider clutch and HD internals.

D

HandOverFist 05-08-2018 10:42 PM

Yes, durability was the driving factor for my switch to the TH350 vs the metric 200. Not realizing any performance loss so far with the change...but my junk has always been slow. :( :p

Mepprecht 05-09-2018 12:14 AM

Don’t dismiss the 200 if it’s built right. My p/sa car had it from corbitt, when it was above 4000 lbs. They are also used in a lot of heavy cars in stock like some copos. Turbo action did my 200, jack sepanek fixed my pump after 8 years problem free. My little 265 qualifies very well with a 200.

Painter 05-09-2018 06:05 AM

If you are having trouble with a 200 Metric it is not the transmission. It is how it is driven in the pits and water box, chassis flex or transmission assembler. I get 200-300 runs out mine all the time and take them out because I am embarrassed that I haven't had them serviced! Paul Forte builds a great transmission.

ss3011 05-09-2018 08:19 AM

The transmission cares more about how much torque is being inputted , not so much how heavy the car is . Now, there are many 455 Pontiacs and BBC running 200THM , so there are many parts available to beef up the weak points . One interesting modification I like is a 350/400 input shaft spline , and modified pump , which allows you to run a 350/400 converter . What is neat is a 200thm was meant to replace a 350 , so the length and output spline is the same . With a modified spline and pump , you can then also use the same converter . I bet there are a few Racers out there that know just how much faster a 200thm is compared to a 350 .

Dan Fahey 05-09-2018 09:21 AM

Question?
What RPMs are you all launching, stalled, shifting and going through the Traps for your combination?

D

HR9121 05-09-2018 09:31 AM

Dan I have a Turbo Action 200 with 50 or so passes on it with Eshift and the bell housing. If you want to do this right the first time pm me I will cut you a deal.

Mepprecht 05-09-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Fahey (Post 562805)
Question?
What RPMs are you all launching, stalled, shifting and going through the Traps for your combination?

D

3500 launch.
6500 through traps.
Shift at 6800 for 1.20 under index plenty left....