CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Vintage Colorado S/SS photos (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=50853)

Bill Ringer 12-12-2013 10:29 PM

Vintage Colorado S/SS photos

8 Attachment(s)
I finally had many of my old slides and negatives digitized. This first group is Pueblo Motorsports Park. I am pretty sure these were taken in 1975 and 1977 and all were the Winston Divisional points meets. The "PMI" logo on the tower was the later race, '77 maybe '78? Pretty good crowds too!
The Fords are John Dueseberry's convertible and Scott Main's Red Mustang. The white Camaro is "Swinging Syd" SS/B and it is an original COPO. In that shot is Don Hackenberg's Plymouth max-wedge car but originally it was one of those rare all steel '64 Hemi cars. Not sure but the other '64 in that shot could be Marlin Bogner.
The Duster was Max Laird and I think Max was driving then- a few years later he had a hired driver. Ron Peters driving Al Nullman's "Demonstrator" and of course a few of Judy Lilly, one shot running Eddie Rezac. Sorry I don't remember anything about the "Quarter Pounder".
When I get time I will add more from Bandimere's in the 80's and Dragway Denver from the mid 70's.

Bill Ringer 12-12-2013 10:37 PM

Re: Vintage Colorado S/SS photos

3 Attachment(s)
These are the last from the Pueblo Divisional events. Lilly & the Dalrymple brothers, The Stevens Brothers (Verle & Bob) Chevelle against Dennis Maurer's SS/BA Hemi and " The Summer of '63 " stocker.
I will have the others posted in the next day or two- stay tuned!

Bill Ringer

The Hawk 12-12-2013 10:55 PM

Nice pics Bill! Keep `em coming!

Bob Miller 12-12-2013 11:27 PM

I know most of these names, my dad raced D-5 in the 60's with them. Hope you have more, thanks for sharing.

Gordie Kissner 12-12-2013 11:47 PM

Great pics Bill! I'm a native Coloradan but Pueblo was one track I never had the chance to race or spectate at. Thanks for posting!

Rat Raceway 12-13-2013 12:37 AM

Wow great pictures! I have never seen that place like that!

I love this track but it's gone so far down hill it's not even funny. From what I have read and been told. They at one point in 13 had to have ARMED guards at the burnout box to keep people in check.:eek:

I kills me that the new operators will not even think about any kind of S/SS racing there. It was the track my car made its very first pass on. There is a ton of potential there IMO!

Tom keedle 12-13-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ringer (Post 412311)
These are the last from the Pueblo Divisional events. Lilly & the Dalrymple brothers, The Stevens Brothers (Verle & Bob) Chevelle against Dennis Maurer's SS/BA Hemi and " The Summer of '63 " stocker.
I will have the others posted in the next day or two- stay tuned!

Bill Ringer

Dalrymple's have been around a long time, I remember those guys fro Nebraska...

JRyan 12-13-2013 02:36 PM

Bill,

The "Quarter Pounder" is Ricky Haas from Nebraska. Tom Moock used to help him out with that car. He can tell you more.

Jerry

Mile High 12-13-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rat Raceway (Post 412323)
Wow great pictures! I have never seen that place like that!

I love this track but it's gone so far down hill it's not even funny. From what I have read and been told. They at one point in 13 had to have ARMED guards at the burnout box to keep people in check.:eek:

I kills me that the new operators will not even think about any kind of S/SS racing there. It was the track my car made its very first pass on. There is a ton of potential there IMO!

I bracket raced there from 1996-2010. It's really cool to see the place in its heyday. The lady running PMP is there only for the road course does know or seems to care about the drag racing. Really sad too because of the money the city spent to repave it in 2011. :mad::confused:

Thanks for the cool pictures.

Jeff

Bill Ringer 12-13-2013 09:45 PM

6 Attachment(s)
These are from Dragway Denver AKA Thunder Road Dragway AKA Denver International Raceway. This place was just west of where DIA (our big airport) is now. Some called this place "sticker city" too. These also are from the 1975 to 1977 era.
This first group is Bob Well's Camaro up against Scott Main's Mustang, Jim Weakland, Ron Peters Duster up against Dennis Maurer's 65 Hemi car, Ron Neff's Modified Corvette (Clint's dad). Lilly & Lewis and the shot of Rod Kister's '63 Dodge I like because looking down track there are no incremental timing lights like we have now- just a long bare (and bumpy!) racetrack

Rick Carlson 12-13-2013 10:16 PM

Bill,
Those photos really bring back memories! I believe there are only two of the original Pueblo Motorsports Inc. board members still active in drag racing. Jay Gilman, who managed the track for years and is now at US 131, and myself. Whoops, make that 3 board members as I had forgotten Wayne McMurtry.
Looking at the pictures....
Is that Jay Gilman starting?
Did Dalrymple Bros. get that convertible from Don Kennedy?
Notice the stands are full on both sides of the track
How many of those cars had Herman Chapman or Dennis Maurer power plants?
Ron Peters drove for a lot of people!

Keep the photos comin'

Bill Ringer 12-13-2013 10:18 PM

6 Attachment(s)
The last group is Marlin Bogner's '64 Max Wedge wagon, a few shots of Don Hackenberg's '64 SS/EA including one of him chasing Eddie Rezac. I can't say if he caught him (probably not)- Eddie was really hard to catch in those days! Before the '64 Hackenberg raced a Studebaker President with an injected Hemi and the long injectors poking way above the hood. It was called "Taboo"- a really wild car.
I always wanted a set of those Motor-Wheel Flys that Judy and Dennis always ran. One of the best looking wheels of all time. The last one of Judy's burnout of course has Dennis in the white T-shirt keeping an eye on things and what would any Colorado Stock & Superstock race be without Verle Stevens there and that red rag he was NEVER without!
Tomorrow I will have the Bandimere shots.

Bill Ringer

Bill Ringer 12-13-2013 10:30 PM

Rick-
I have a shot of Kennedy's Camaro at Bandimere I will post tomorrow. I don't know if it went to the Dalrymple's. I am sure someone here knows.
Back then if the car ran good it had a Maurer Power sticker or license plate or a Chapman's Racing Engines sticker.
Yes, Peters drove for a lot of people and I tried to get him to drive my bracket car once when he went out 1st round of SS because I couldn't hardly stage my car properly but I was too late- the cooler full of beer was already open.

Bill Ringer 12-13-2013 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just hanging out in the staging lanes- Here is one that has nothing to do with Colorado Stock & Superstocks but some of these guys started in Super Stock and they all came to Colorado to race Pro Stock. Some of the young kids I know don't believe that the guy with those LONG sideburns is really Jack Roush but they also never heard of Wayne Gapp.

tony wood 12-13-2013 10:51 PM

MR.JIM WEAKLANDS camaro has always been beautiful. (it wasn't very old here)

Stewart Way 12-13-2013 10:58 PM

Rick
Don't know if Jay was working at the track then. Wasn't he running a Super Modified Cuda? I worked the starting line for D Zimmerman at the Pueblo points meet in 75 (I think) and Denver in 76, then moved to KC. Still have my PMI officials badge/pin in one of my toolboxes. Stuart Pomeroy showed up at the Pueblo meet which suprised me since both of us were from Division II . If he reads this maybe he'll tell the rest of the story.
Also, wasn't Wayne running a VW back then and if it was Wayne, who was in it with him? Might have been Mike Johnson?

The Hawk 12-14-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Carlson (Post 412443)
Bill,
Those photos really bring back memories! I believe there are only two of the original Pueblo Motorsports Inc. board members still active in drag racing. Jay Gilman, who managed the track for years and is now at US 131, and myself. Whoops, make that 3 board members as I had forgotten Wayne McMurtry.

Keep the photos comin'

Heck Rick,I never knew there were grandstands on the left side of the track!

Geerhead55 12-14-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ringer (Post 412449)
Just hanging out in the staging lanes- Here is one that has nothing to do with Colorado Stock & Superstocks but some of these guys started in Super Stock and they all came to Colorado to race Pro Stock. Some of the young kids I know don't believe that the guy with those LONG sideburns is really Jack Roush but they also never heard of Wayne Gapp.

Drag racings version of Mt. Rushmore. Too bad Wayne is facing the wrong way. Seems like Etta always had that cigarette going. Nice shot, Bill.
Danny Durham

Rick Carlson 12-14-2013 02:54 AM

Lane....There were originally stands on both sides of track then.

Stewart....Jay was racing, but also working. Not sure if he or Bill Dickey were running the track then. Zimmerman had me working tech & racemaster back then. 2013 was my 40th consecutive year getting a paycheck from NHRA. Wayne had a BB/D front engine dragster in comp. Bill ? (worked for the phone co) had the Volkswagen driven by Ron Schillereff.

Bill...I had heard rumors there were coolers full of beer back then, but was never able to find them....well, not very often. Saw Verle @ Salt Lake this fall and the red rag was still there.

Nullman now lives in Lovelock, NV I believe.

gsa612 12-14-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ringer (Post 412445)
Rick-
I have a shot of Kennedy's Camaro at Bandimere I will post tomorrow. I don't know if it went to the Dalrymple's. I am sure someone here knows.
Back then if the car ran good it had a Maurer Power sticker or license plate or a Chapman's Racing Engines sticker.
Yes, Peters drove for a lot of people and I tried to get him to drive my bracket car once when he went out 1st round of SS because I couldn't hardly stage my car properly but I was too late- the cooler full of beer was already open.

The Dalrymple Camaro was sold to a local guy Wayne Colton around 77?.I believe he still has it,it's now red has not ran it since the early 80's.

MELSF 12-14-2013 11:48 AM

Pueblo, lots of fun there. I didnt see any photos of Ron Roddel or Charlie Koppien

mcink 12-14-2013 04:16 PM

Great photos, thanks for sharing!

I remember many of those cars racing at Thunder Valley.

Rich Erickson 12-15-2013 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bill awesome pictures. Thanks

Charlie A 12-15-2013 04:38 PM

A load of racing wisdom right here:

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...1&d=1386989232

Bill Ringer 12-15-2013 10:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
These are from Bandimere Speedway- The Mile High Nationals- I am pretty sure these are from the1979 event.
This group has Jim Weakland's Camaro and Bob Marshall's '65 Hemi Coronet, Hooker's Camaro & Scheitlin's 'Cuda. Paul Rossi and the white Camaro....I know this car and the driver but it's been too many years- I'm sure someone can help me out. John Wolfe's "Kansas Hemi" and Eddie Rezac, Rod Kister's '63 Dodge Max Wedge car. Another shot of Scheitlin's 'Cuda and I am pretty sure this was the event where he won Best Appearing Car. Yes, this is the car I bought a few years later and I still have it today.

Bill Ringer 12-15-2013 11:17 PM

8 Attachment(s)
These are also Bandimere Speedway but the Divisional events 1978-1980.

The Stevens Brother's Chevelle and I don't know the other Chevelle, Dwayne Scheitlin's Camaro, Rick Rusk's "Kelvinator" N-SA, Bob Johnson and Joe Novak's Mustang, Don Hackenberg's '64 Max Wedge car, The shot of Dennis Maurer's car was from the Nationals (I missed it when I made the Nationals post). A pair of Novas and here I go again, I know both of these but I will remember the names tomorrow (or when someone tells me!) pretty sure the "Born Free" car was the Nova that changed owners a lot and I couldn't keep track of it back then either. Lastly is Ron Peters SS-I Duster.

Bill Ringer 12-15-2013 11:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just a few more from Bandimere Speedway, 1976-1978.
Another of Maurer's '65 Hemi car and I always liked how the light weight front end would shake when he did a burnout- seemed like the bumper was going to fall off! The A-S Nova was driven by Dwayne Scheitlin, it is his brother's car. The shot of Dick Saunders' SS-F Vette shows that wild tree that Bandimere's had until 1977. John told me he still has that tree in his basement!
A couple of Tim Cole- his cool notch back Vega (that's John Bandimere right behind the car). Could that Vega fit in any of the SS classes today?
And at the risk of being blasted for posting a shot of a dragster- I had to include Cole's wild big tire C-ED. Since Tim has been a SS racer for some time now (more than 20 years!) maybe I won't be bashed too bad for posting a dragster picture? (we all had to start somewhere- right?).
The last shots I have to share are from the Fallnationals in Seattle 1975- I have just a few S & SS pictures from that event. I will post those in the next day or two.

bobbyd6 12-16-2013 02:18 PM

White Camaro is Ritch Ahrens in Dalrymple's old Camaro vs Rossi at Denver

Bill Ringer 12-17-2013 11:15 PM

9 Attachment(s)
No more pictures from Colorado but I have a few from Seattle and Pomona. This group is from the 1975 Fallnationals.

Bill Ringer 12-17-2013 11:56 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Winternationals about 1980-1981?

bobbyd6 12-19-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Carlson (Post 412443)
Bill,
Is that Jay Gilman starting?
Did Dalrymple Bros. get that convertible from Don Kennedy?
How many of those cars had Herman Chapman or Dennis Maurer power plants?
Ron Peters drove for a lot of people!

Keep the photos comin'

Dalrymple's got their green ragtop Camaro from Marlin Snyder out of Indiana & Dalrymple's used Chapman power

bobbyd6 12-19-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony wood (Post 412450)
MR.JIM WEAKLANDS camaro has always been beautiful. (it wasn't very old here)

He sold it several years ago to someone overseas

Rick Schillereff 06-15-2019 02:35 AM

The gentleman from Pueblo that worked at the phone company was Bill Greenwood and his wife Midget worked at the track. My dad drove several cars for Mr. Greenwood along with his Chevelle and Corvette that he owned named Sunday's Child.