CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lawsuit over cylinder heads (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=75972)

bykr 04-12-2020 10:30 PM

Lawsuit over cylinder heads

I came upon this when poking around on Google today:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...ociation_et_al

Seems other shops are named also.

GTX JOHN 04-13-2020 03:04 AM

Re: Lawsuit over cylinder heads

Interesting............I would like to hear details.

curtis reed 04-13-2020 09:49 AM

Any idea what he is suing everyone for?

MR DERBY CITY 04-13-2020 10:31 AM

Maybe Jared Jordan can decipher this and shed some light on the great cylinder head suit of 2020......

Ed Wright 04-13-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtis reed (Post 612130)
Any idea what he is suing everyone for?

Maybe somebody’s head mods ruled illegal? I saw Wesley listed? If you race under Wesley, your stuff had better be right.

1347 04-13-2020 02:54 PM

Possibly this had to do with the whole intake spacer rule? wasn't Johns name brought up on that rule a couple months ago?

bykr 04-13-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1347 (Post 612169)
Possibly this had to do with the whole intake spacer rule? wasn't Johns name brought up on that rule a couple months ago?

Yes, and he supposedly closed his shop due it his mods being declared illegal( which NHRA reversed after lots of crying). But it doesn't seem like his shop is closed so ?

Kevin Panzino 04-13-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 612189)
Yes, and he supposedly closed his shop due it his mods being declared illegal( which NHRA reversed after lots of crying). But it doesn't seem like his shop is closed so ?

His shop is closed and all the machines are gone.

SSDiv6 04-13-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 612189)

After lots of crying?
The modifications had been allowed for decades and Chevy engines were not the only ones affected. Mopar, Ford and other makes of engines that were also affected by the proposed rule change.

Sean Cour 04-13-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiv6 (Post 612199)
After lots of crying?
The modifications had been allowed for decades and Chevy engines were not the only ones affected. Mopar, Ford and other makes of engines that were also affected by the proposed rule change.

This Tim guy, just doesn’t get it!

Cotten 04-13-2020 10:05 PM

This is exactly what our sport doesn't need right now.
Everyone's laid off and NHRA has to defend a lawsuit related to stock / super stock? What a great time for them to say good bye guys.

bykr 04-13-2020 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Cour (Post 612207)

lol, what do I need to get?

nhramnl 04-14-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 612217)

It.

SS/GSI 04-14-2020 02:21 PM

Tim, you obviously do not have all the facts or information surrounding the suit and about the status of Mr. Gulius' business. Perhaps you should have left your comments to your original post.

SSDiv6 04-14-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 612217)

Calling people cry babies without the facts!

Bob Smith 04-14-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotten (Post 612214)
This is exactly what are sport doesn't need right now.
Everyone's laid off and NHRA has to defend a lawsuit related to stock / super stock? What a great time for them to say good bye guys.

You are correct and feel bad for all of you with so much invested in the sport and those categories these days. The anger of one or just a few will hurt the masses and entire sport and that is sad.

Jared Jordan 04-14-2020 11:41 PM

I won't speculate as to the source of the dispute. I think that'd be unethical of me. From the link provided, it looks like Mr. Gulius has filed a lawsuit against NHRA and several co-defendants. Their names are listed and I don't see the need to reiterate them here. From the list of filings, the case has been moved to federal court and there's a certain monetary standard involved before that occurs. If it goes anywhere, we'll all find out together.

Edit: I can't read the complaint, which would explain it all, because it requires opening an account I don't otherwise need, but I still don't think it'd be appropriate to comment.

bykr 04-15-2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiv6 (Post 612260)
Calling people cry babies without the facts!

I said crying you added babies, for effect I guess. Crying, complaining call it what you will. Hey, I'd be crying too if my heads were deemed illegal.

FireSale 04-15-2020 11:50 AM

All of the court documents relating to this case are available online for a fee. If anyone is interested in fact finding it can be done. I'm not interested enough to register and pay through the court system, though.

SSDiv6 04-15-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 612316)
I said crying you added babies, for effect I guess. Crying, complaining call it what you will. Hey, I'd be crying too if my heads were deemed illegal.

Deemed illegal?

You are a newbie to the class. Your 10.5 tire racing does not make you an expert in what is involved in Stock and Super Stock racing, especially to building engines for the class.

The modifications in Super Stock cylinder heads in question have been accepted for years. As it has been said before, there is a big difference between those that put a lot of effort and money to go fast and those that do not want to work on their stuff and complain when others go fast. It also pertains not only to Chevy engines, but to other makes too.

There is a lot more to the story that you are aware of and I believe all you are doing is fishing for information and details to create gossip.

Like Jared Jordan stated earlier, which I commend him for, it is better to stay out of it and not get involved in something you do not have the knowledge about and not involved in.

SSDiv6 04-15-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireSale (Post 612338)
All of the court documents relating to this case are available online for a fee. If anyone is interested in fact finding it can be done. I'm not interested enough to register and pay through the court system, though.

Fact finding?
Dale, there is a quote that says:
"For every fact, there is an infinity of hypothesis"

GTX JOHN 04-16-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotten (Post 612214)
This is exactly what are sport doesn't need right now.

Mr. Cotton is a very astute business man....If he is concerned = I am Nervous about the situation.

I have some insights into NHRA - PLUS I am a accountant by education:

If this Virus ends our racing for the year, I am concerned the NHRA organization may well be finished and done anyway.

Bench Racer 04-16-2020 06:50 PM

Just my thoughts, observations, and opinions. IHRA survived for 5 to 7 years on potted meat, beanie weenies, and RC colas. NHRA won't last a year under the same conditions.

Gary Smith 04-17-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Cour (Post 612207)

Some things aren't always as they appear. Greg Foreman, Mike Graham, the Langdon Brothers, the Morenos, Richey Pauley and a few other SoCal "long timers" Tim and I both grew up around these guys, and he spent a lot of time doing FE heads with Greg at Dyno Don's shop. Not active as a driver in class racing, he fell deep into the S/SS hole decades ago. Like many others here, Tim's been in and out of this circus, but definitely not a newby by any stretch and gets it. Just my $.02.

Gary Smith 04-17-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiv6 (Post 612346)
Deemed illegal?

You are a newbie to the class. Your 10.5 tire racing does not make you an expert in what is involved in Stock and Super Stock racing, especially to building engines for the class.

The modifications in Super Stock cylinder heads in question have been accepted for years. As it has been said before, there is a big difference between those that put a lot of effort and money to go fast and those that do not want to work on their stuff and complain when others go fast. It also pertains not only to Chevy engines, but to other makes too.

There is a lot more to the story that you are aware of and I believe all you are doing is fishing for information and details to create gossip.

Like Jared Jordan stated earlier, which I commend him for, it is better to stay out of it and not get involved in something you do not have the knowledge about and not involved in.

I was kind to Sean Cour's statement only because he doesn't know Tim and I've known the Cour family for a while. But I don't know you and will say you don't know Tim at all either. He and I have both been around class racing longer than many of you racers have even been involved in the sport and seen it all, well before the 10.5 stuff. And I guarantee he didn't buy Kip Martin's car "sight unseen" we both been around Kip as far back when he ran his 352 Galaxie. "Newbie" he is not. He's got the walk to back up the talk when it comes to Super Stock knowledge. I suggest you get your facts before assuming.

Sean Cour 04-17-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Smith (Post 612582)
Some things aren't always as they appear. Greg Foreman, Mike Graham, the Langdon Brothers, the Morenos, Richey Pauley and a few other SoCal "long timers" Tim and I both grew up around these guys, and he spent a lot of time doing FE heads with Greg at Dyno Don's shop. Not active as a driver in class racing, he fell deep into the S/SS hole decades ago. Like many others here, Tim's been in and out of this circus, but definitely not a newby by any stretch and gets it. Just my $.02.

Gary, than of all people, he should know better? It’s not received well from this end. Not endearing by any means.

Gary Smith 04-17-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Cour (Post 612584)
Gary, than of all people, he should know better? It’s not received well from this end. Not endearing by any means.

Sean you have to agree this is bigger than a black eye for Gulius if it's true because John's name isn't exactly unknown in these parts. What's disturbing is for John to come forth now, instead of much sooner. Tim simply stumbled on a disturbing piece of public information and is very familiar with all the names listed. It makes class racing look bad when money has been allowed to push the envelope until blatantly obvious. We have seen smaller infractions from private owner/builders get heavy handed punishment. Deja vu several years ago when Aluise took NHRA to court for a similar issue after being tossed. Nobody won. All it did was create more friction between NHRA and even between racers. This case will make the Aluise case look like child's play if it goes forward, which I hope doesn't for the sake of the sport. If Gulius and/or all the other engine guys did nothing wrong, there's no issue. But we have all heard it too many times in tech. I pray they can all settle up and Gulius is paid some form of restitution.

Sean Cour 04-17-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Smith (Post 612586)
Sean you have to agree this is bigger than a black eye for Gulius if it's true because John's name isn't exactly unknown in these parts. Tim simply stumbled on a disturbing piece of public information and is very familiar with all the names listed. It makes class racing look bad when money has been allowed to push the envelope until blatantly obvious. We have seen smaller infractions from private owner/builders get heavy handed punishment. Deja vu several years ago when Aluise took NHRA to court for a similar issue after being tossed. Nobody won. All it did was create more friction between NHRA and even between racers. If Gulius and all the other engine guys did nothing wrong, there's no issue. But we have all heard it too many times in tech.

He probably should know the facts before he shoots off his mouth. I know the facts, and it's not something you "hear standing around in tech." In my father's 50 years racing NHRA Super Stock, he didn't depend on hearsay to form an opinion.

Gary Smith 04-17-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Cour (Post 612588)
He probably should know the facts before he shoots off his mouth. I know the facts, and it's not something you "hear standing around in tech." In my father's 50 years racing NHRA Super Stock, he didn't depend on hearsay to form an opinion.

Sean I edited my comment, I'll pm you out of respect for all involved.

SSDiv6 04-19-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Smith (Post 612583)
I was kind to Sean Cour's statement only because he doesn't know Tim and I've known the Cour family for a while. But I don't know you and will say you don't know Tim at all either. He and I have both been around class racing longer than many of you racers have even been involved in the sport and seen it all, well before the 10.5 stuff. And I guarantee he didn't buy Kip Martin's car "sight unseen" we both been around Kip as far back when he ran his 352 Galaxie. "Newbie" he is not. He's got the walk to back up the talk when it comes to Super Stock knowledge. I suggest you get your facts before assuming.

You don't have to be kind to either Sean or I; we are all adults.
Like Sean stated earlier, the problem with the posting is making comments without knowing all the facts of the case.

By the way, I am very familiar with PACER and you just don't "stumble" into information or just falls on your lap. PACER is a legal search database and you must perform the search on a specific term, name or phrase.

Therefore, my speculation is the search was performed based on statements made by others, rumor, casual talk or gossip without knowing the actual facts of the case.

nhramnl 04-19-2020 02:25 PM

It's fun to watch this, but kinda sad, too. Apparently, the collective memory of racers is short. See, I remember back to when ported heads weren't legal, and NHRA caught guys who had them. Were they punished? Nope. NHRA just made ported heads legal. And then, there were things like gas-ported pistons (formerly illegal, now legal), un-shrouded combustion chambers (formerly illegal, now legal), aftermarket blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, wrist pins, (all formerly illegal, now legal), "replacement" cylinder heads (formerly illegal, now legal), and on and on, and on. Super Stock bears no resemblance whatsoever to the class that existed when it came into being, decades ago, but there are very few who would say we should go back to those days. The class has continuously evolved, rightly or wrongly, and there has never been any turning back. John Gulius consciously pushed the envelope, because that's precisely what his customers wanted to buy... his mind, in addition to his hands. And he delivered, consistently. A shame now, that after all of "paper-tiger" actions of the NHRA over the years (some fair, some absolutely inexplicable) that an innovator, pioneer and BIG thinker in the class has to defend his decades-long reputation.

nolongerracing 04-19-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhramnl (Post 612702)
It's fun to watch this, but kinda sad, too. Apparently, the collective memory of racers is short. See, I remember back to when ported heads weren't legal, and NHRA caught guys who had them. Were they punished? Nope. NHRA just made ported heads legal. And then, there were things like gas-ported pistons (formerly illegal, now legal), un-shrouded combustion chambers (formerly illegal, now legal), aftermarket blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, wrist pins, (all formerly illegal, now legal), "replacement" cylinder heads (formerly illegal, now legal), and on and on, and on. Super Stock bears no resemblance whatsoever to the class that existed when it came into being, decades ago, but there are very few who would say we should go back to those days. The class has continuously evolved, rightly or wrongly, and there has never been any turning back. John Gulius consciously pushed the envelope, because that's precisely what his customers wanted to buy... his mind, in addition to his hands. And he delivered, consistently. A shame now, that after all of "paper-tiger" actions of the NHRA over the years (some fair, some absolutely inexplicable) that an innovator, pioneer and BIG thinker in the class has to defend his decades-long reputation.

So... If I'm reading your post correctly, everything that Gulius has done that was "illegal" on a superstock engine now should be made "legal" because he is an innovator, pioneer, and big thinker? I call Bull****!!
'

Bruce Noland 04-19-2020 05:31 PM

It cost the Pro Stock truck guys cubic dollars to fight nhra. After a few years, it appears they recieved a generous settlement after an ugly fight. But those guys had huge investments to recoup and they had truck loads of dough and time to fight nhra. I don't know much about the issues here but the plaintiff(s) better have big bucks and probably better representation.

nhramnl 04-19-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolongerracing (Post 612714)
So... If I'm reading your post correctly, everything that Gulius has done that was "illegal" on a superstock engine now should be made "legal" because he is an innovator, pioneer, and big thinker? I call Bull****!!
'

Yeah, sure. That's what I said...

Ed Wright 04-19-2020 06:51 PM

I hope you guys can forgive a very old guy for not understanding what was ruled illegal about Mr Gulius’ heads? I have tried to read all this, but must have missed something.
Exactly what was ruled illegal about his Chevy Super Stock heads?
Thank you!
Ed

bykr 04-19-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiv6 (Post 612696)
You don't have to be kind to either Sean or I; we are all adults.
Like Sean stated earlier, the problem with the posting is making comments without knowing all the facts of the case.

By the way, I am very familiar with PACER and you just don't "stumble" into information or just falls on your lap. PACER is a legal search database and you must perform the search on a specific term, name or phrase.

Therefore, my speculation is the search was performed based on statements made by others, rumor, casual talk or gossip without knowing the actual facts of the case.

Wrong. I did a simple Google search using Gulius racing (try it and see), as I was curious about what kind of operation he had. No reason not to post it as it's public information that pertains to our sport.

bykr 04-19-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 612724)
I hope you guys can forgive a very old guy for not understanding what was ruled illegal about Mr Gulius’ heads? I have tried to read all this, but must have missed something.
Exactly what was ruled illegal about his Chevy Super Stock heads?
Thank you!
Ed

Ed here you go:
https://classracer.com/classforum/sh...ad.php?t=74879

SSDiv6 04-19-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 612726)
Wrong. I did a simple Google search using Gulius racing (try it and see), as I was curious about what kind of operation he had. No reason not to post it as it's public information that pertains to our sport.

Too funny!

Anyone that has been in the Super Stock class world knows who John Gulius is because he has been building engines for a long time.

Call it what it is no matter the way you paint it: Gossip and trying to find details about the lawsuit and of course, a Google search will show the latest related to his business.
By the way, the filing of the lawsuit is indeed public information; the details are not unless you pay for access.

nolongerracing 04-19-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiv6 (Post 612733)
Too funny!

Anyone that has been in the Super Stock class world knows who John Gulius is because he has been building engines for a long time.

Call it what it is no matter the way you paint it: Gossip and trying to find details about the lawsuit and of course, a Google search will show the latest related to his business.
By the way, the filing of the lawsuit is indeed public information; the details are not unless you pay for access.

And you knew about the lawsuit a long time ago?

Mark Yacavone 04-19-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 612727)

..And after you read all those pages, you'll be even more confused.

(That's all I'm going to say, because I don't race Super Stock)