CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Crate Motor Class (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=15088)

tpoh815 01-09-2009 02:30 PM

Re: Crate Motor Class

I wish all crate motor guys would just stick to bracket racing.You guys arent considered real racers! And I am speaking for myself! Lousy no goods. Damn us all to hell and eternal damnation, we are not worthy to the cause.However I would much rather have $2,700 in my motor and go out first round rather than $27,000. whats a win worth when some contingents dont even pay out! Hmmmmmmmm.

Michael Beard 01-09-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

A lot of crate motor racers work harder on their combos than traditional class racers.
Sorry Lee, I don't think that's true. (although I don't want to get into the equation of hard work vs spending money) :rolleyes: I went to Indy last year, and trust me, it's a totally different world... but that's the point, too. There are many different types of racers, who are racing for different reasons, with different goals in mind. One's not necessarily better than another. They're just different. IMO, crate motor races need to respect the go-fast NHRA guys, and likewise, they could pay a little respect back.

Mike Carr 01-09-2009 02:42 PM

I think the problem most have is the fact that Crate Motor Stockers aren't Stockers, in that they weren't originally built. If they had all came that way originally, that would be fine. But putting a 502 in a Vega or 460 in a later model T-bird or something, and calling it a Stocker, is quite a stretch. And I can see their points. The Ross family has a pair of late model Sebrings, with crate engines. They should be, and probably are, a candidate for either Best Engineered, Best Appering, and probably both, at any race they go to...very well built and prepared cars. Same with George Wrights Ford Probe.. But I think very few would believe they belong in Stock. A '90-something Sebring or Probe, with RWD, a carbureted V8, a car like that should be in SS/GT, in most people's opionion. I guess many feel that the car should have a build sheet with x-amount produced in that configuration, to be called a Stocker. As far as adding HP to all the crate motors, I don't think that would solve much, except making them heavier. If you wanted to slow them down, so they don't "hog up the top qualifying spots" just hit the Index a tenth or so. There are a lot of them around, and C/M racers DO work on their combo's, and they are fast as a result. They still have their rules and specs, in regards to what is legal and what isn't, and have to abide by them, same as a 'regular' Stocker. I've raced in NHRA and IHRA both, and whatever the rules are, that's what we race under, regardless of whatever classes are permitted. Like was said earlier, except for Class or a heads-up run, it's still mostly a bracket race. What does it matter if a D/CM Nova or whatever runs two seconds under? If you have an E/SA Camaro that is two tenths under, you both still use shoe-polish, right? And you both have the same shot to win. I'm also sure that many purists would say the same thing about the Modified and GT cars in S/S. They've been here for over twenty years, and there's very little complaining about them? I'm a purist too, and am not a HUGE fan of crate motors, Stock or SS/GT, hood-scooped cars and the like, but hey, they're here, we can't really do too much about it. Just run your own race, dial your own car, and I think we'd all be better drivers. Or, at least better off.

B.D.

Brandon Peterson 01-09-2009 02:44 PM

they wanna talk about our indexes and qualifying under but i don't even think the fastest crate motors in ihra would have even qualified at indy last year i did see the sheet for stock there were -1.60's on there and i think even higher

Michael Beard 01-09-2009 03:19 PM

MIke - I don't know that the Ross's and Wright's cars are good examples, because they are in a class of their own, quite literally. (FWD conversion crate) and I believe they are the only three in the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson (Post 99149)
they wanna talk about our indexes and qualifying under but i don't even think the fastest crate motors in ihra would have even qualified at indy last year i did see the sheet for stock there were -1.60's on there and i think even higher

I qualified 6th at Martin (IHRA Nat'l event where they ran Class) in similar weather conditions to what we had at Indy. I would've qualified at Indy, but just by a few hundredths. (and YES, I've spent money on my car.)

quickest crate at Martin was 4th...
Bob Marshall H/CM '73 Dart Sport, -1.027 under 10.973, with 325hp 360 @ 3258# min (9.50# class) would've placed him 83rd at Indy.
compared to Indy's #6 qualifier
David Buckner E/SA '72 Duster -1.233 under 10.767 (which frickin' RAWKED!) :D with 289hp 340 @ 3060# min (10# class)

While the comparison is for entertainment purposes only, it doesn't seem like they are worlds apart, all things considered.

Brandon Peterson 01-09-2009 03:21 PM

1 point mike

Ed Fernandez 01-09-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson (Post 99149)

Once you get past the rage you'll see that except for a few guys who either screw up or want to blast their HP rating,the majority of 1.50 runs and faster are the result of the classification being wrong on the sheet.
I've been on this and other sites from just about the beginning.It's a shame what the internet has
contributed to the dumbing down of S/SS.And alot of it is no names and FORMER racers (not
only Dick).
If the majority of S/SS racers,who still love doing what we're doing ,stuck together for the good of the sport,not their agendas,maybe NHRA would be forced to take us more serious than they do now.
Jumping off Dick's soap box now.

Ed F.

Brandon Peterson 01-09-2009 03:45 PM

your right ed

bsa633 01-09-2009 03:57 PM

..Good(Bad) Example..when a 75 Vette leads a 69 L88- Vette for low ET.. the Class just dont look appealing to anyone.. fans,racers or others...exept maybe the guy in the 75 Vette ofcourse..well.it just dosent do it for me..

Bruce Noland 01-09-2009 04:17 PM

Good post Mike!