CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   combo killers (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=86834)

James Hensler 03-18-2024 01:47 PM

Re: combo killers

I love reading all of this! Everyone sounds like my fellow SS A/H racers! All mad about 1 guy dominating! If he can you can bottom line!

Dan Bennett 03-18-2024 02:20 PM

Probably an unpopular opinion and I have no skin in the game other than loving stock and super stock since the first race I ever attended back in the 60s.

The NHRA has successfully run a scam that turned a performance class into a bracket class. So many here want to be able to win races solely with shoe polish instead of just being the fastest car at the track.

I'll admit my viewpoint is probably concentrated in those of a certain age - where going to one of the few nationals on the schedule had me standing in awe looking at a car with 'national record holder" painted on - and even more so when there was a string of years listed. No, it didn't matter what class it was. It was motivation for me to recognize the skills involved and to work that much harder to get closer to that status.

I also admit that the horse left the barn a long time ago and I understand playing the cards you're dealt. But sorry, I will always admire the racer who does what ever they can to be the best and then maximizes their investment and enjoys that every pass down the track.

Lots of guys here in the past have mentioned participation trophies with disgust. Somehow this whole thing of "they have more money than me" and "I don't have a chance to win" seems a lot like that process.

Billy Nees 03-18-2024 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Bennett (Post 695117)
Probably an unpopular opinion and I have no skin in the game other than loving stock and super stock since the first race I ever attended back in the 60s.

The NHRA has successfully run a scam that turned a performance class into a bracket class. So many here want to be able to win races solely with shoe polish instead of just being the fastest car at the track.

I'll admit my viewpoint is probably concentrated in those of a certain age - where going to one of the few nationals on the schedule had me standing in awe looking at a car with 'national record holder" painted on - and even more so when there was a string of years listed. No, it didn't matter what class it was. It was motivation for me to recognize the skills involved and to work that much harder to get closer to that status.

I will always admire the racer who does what ever they can to be the best and then maximizes their investment and enjoys that every pass down the track.

Somehow this whole thing of "they have more money than me" and "I don't have a chance to win" seems a lot like that process.

4. Build a combo which fits into a class that doesn't have dozens of cars in it and own it!

Pauley 03-20-2024 05:43 PM

Kind of reminds me of why you dont see street roadsters in comp anymore thanks to vinnie barone and arnie martel.

This read has been informative. I see both sides since it doesn’t effect me.

ep

Barry Polley 03-22-2024 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Perrone (Post 695113)
If you slo pokes would run the right class
YOU WONT GET HP.
STOP with personal index
This is what Nhra wants HP to be given
Players play the game …losers complain

Race it like you stole it!