CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Some "Dime Rockets" for the 4TH! (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=34410)

David Lee 12-14-2023 05:00 PM

Re: Some "Dime Rockets" for the 4TH!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 690171)
With the rumblings of a U/SA shootout coming around again, has this boat been brought up yet? 1991 Caprice Wagon with 305/170/210. The combo works real well in the lighter cars and should be even happier hauling some weight in U/SA.

not cheap to buy!!!

Billy Nees 12-14-2023 05:33 PM

Really? I would think it would be less expensive to buy than a Camaro.

Frank Castros 12-14-2023 06:20 PM

Quote:

With the rumblings of a U/SA shootout coming around again, has this boat been brought up yet? 1991 Caprice Wagon with 305/170/210. The combo works real well in the lighter cars and should be even happier hauling some weight in U/SA.

I'm proud to start the U/SA thread and Billy's Dime Rockets is a a natural expression of this class.
Can you imagine if 8+ cars attended the 2024 US Nationals? OMG, Awesome!

David Lee 12-14-2023 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 690177)
Really? I would think it would be less expensive to buy than a Camaro.

that i will agree with.

joe huestis 12-14-2023 09:24 PM

����
Quote:

Now there's a real trailer killer ! A svelt 4370 lb. minimum weight !
Billy. you told me you like "lighter" cars !

Mark Yacavone 12-14-2023 09:54 PM

Quote:

Al Provoast had the Olds version, new.
Didn't run very well, so he didn't like it. He didn't keep it long.

Billy Nees 12-15-2023 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 690187)
Al Provoast had the Olds version, new.
Didn't run very well, so he didn't like it. He didn't keep it long.

I forgot about that one! As I recall, it ran VERY well. Just not consistently. With today's electronics, that shouldn't be a problem.
But, after thinking about it, probably not a "Dime Rocket". It must be that too much PRI glitter has clouded my thinking!

joe huestis 12-15-2023 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 690195)
I forgot about that one! As I recall, it ran VERY well. Just not consistently. With today's electronics, that shouldn't be a problem.
But, after thinking about it, probably not a "Dime Rocket". It must be that too much PRI glitter has clouded my thinking!

It did run well, and I had talked to Al in the staging lanes at E-town during the Summernats back in the 90's. Asked him why he abandoned that project and his exact reply was he was unable to get any consistency out of the car with that throttle body injection. That thing was a tank for sure and he dared to be different ! Back then I always thought there was a 307 Olds motor in that car, not the 305 (Chevy) "corporate" engine. I was wrong.