CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Mopars Little A Body Terrors... (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=41084)

jmcarter 07-03-2012 05:18 PM

Re: Mopars Little A Body Terrors...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Wahl (Post 333934)
That is one beautiful 'cuda Mack! It would look good parked next to my Demon! ;) Jim

Sorry Jim, Mack's car cover doesn't match the one that's taken up residence on your Demon!...Just kidding buddy, but you do need to sell me the Aspen and get the Demon back out.

At the Valdosta Mopar race the announcer went wild every time Mack left the line, nobody else was going that high. I suggested to Mack that he might consider wheelie bars, to which he just smiled...he may have muttered something to me, not sure.

And Phil, I had a 70 340 Duster from 72-73, had it with me in California when I rotated back to the states, with headers and gear there were some pretty wicked cars in the Bay area that got surprised. The Duster replaced a 69 340 Swinger that I sold before entering the Air Force, with a four speed and 3.91 gears it was pretty quick ride....had to put Hooker fenderwell headers on the car because I couldn't find a chassis header for it, still remember the comments I got at home when they saw we had cut out a good size piece of inner fender panel; but what the hey, those were the days when muscle cars roamed the earth and you had to be prepared at a moment's notice to defend your brand.

Todd Boyer 07-03-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip marvetz (Post 333839)
My dad bought a brand new 1969 427 tri power corvette roadster when he went into the Army, He say's the only car around he couldn't beat when he was home on leave was a 340 Duster. Guess what I own today,lol

So you learned from your father's mistake, Philip .....LOL

Phillip marvetz 07-04-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcarter (Post 333948)
Sorry Jim, Mack's car cover doesn't match the one that's taken up residence on your Demon!...Just kidding buddy, but you do need to sell me the Aspen and get the Demon back out.

At the Valdosta Mopar race the announcer went wild every time Mack left the line, nobody else was going that high. I suggested to Mack that he might consider wheelie bars, to which he just smiled...he may have muttered something to me, not sure.

And Phil, I had a 70 340 Duster from 72-73, had it with me in California when I rotated back to the states, with headers and gear there were some pretty wicked cars in the Bay area that got surprised. The Duster replaced a 69 340 Swinger that I sold before entering the Air Force, with a four speed and 3.91 gears it was pretty quick ride....had to put Hooker fenderwell headers on the car because I couldn't find a chassis header for it, still remember the comments I got at home when they saw we had cut out a good size piece of inner fender panel; but what the hey, those were the days when muscle cars roamed the earth and you had to be prepared at a moment's notice to defend your brand.

I was born in Presidio at the end of 71, Maybe your one that kept thumping the old man.lol.
On another note my mom drove the vette while she was pregnant with me, They only had the one car so she would have to pick my dad up sometimes. This one time some guy in a camaro kept trying to race her just after she had picked him up so he asked what was going on, She say's he was trying to get even for the beating she had given him earlier. Gotta love my mom.

Mack Reeves 07-04-2012 01:56 PM

Here's my last one.... I bought this car out of Chicago suburb... It was a Hodger Race Cars build.... I had planned to go S/G racing with it and keep the other 68 car for bracket racing... But the Challenger came along and I sold this car to the Nichols Brothers and its now blue and racing in the brackets.....

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...Blacknose2.jpg

joe cool 07-07-2012 11:10 AM

In 1968 I returned from SE Asia and went to work at a small Iowa Dealership. I liked the small block cars but we had a hard time selling them with the prices on the Road Runners. A friend bought a 69 Flower Mod Top ( and seats) coupe Cuda that sat on the showroom for several months, no-one else would touch that homely thing. It was a 340 ,Tq-flite with 3.55's. It would run (on the street) with all our B body cars up till 100 mph or so. Never would top end with them but it was a good running car anyway.
When the Feather Dusters and the Dart Lites came out they were supposed to be for great fuel mileage. I don't think any of them were purchased that weren't made into race cars.
We won't even mention the Hang 10 Duster hatchbacks.
They were my first experience with the O-D trans they made by overdriveing third gear and turning the shift arm upside down.They later put them in just about everything.
We started selling the 340's heavy in mid 1970 when the AAR's and TA 's came out.

Hemi Moose 07-31-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack Reeves (Post 333417)
Here's a shot of my old 70 Duster...

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...ies/009_6A.jpg

Mack, cool pic got anymore old ones of it!

dannyboy 08-03-2012 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We raced for and with Ed (Bachelder Bros. & Chipman)with our Duster/Demon, originally had a '74 Duster that started in SS/L that was a sister car (SS/LA)to the one Ed drove owned by Carlos Lawernce and sold to the Kaiser Bros. when we built a '71 Duster for SS/I ( Herb McCandless did the roll cage and suspension with Ed's motor and great parts that he developed) to beat the Camaros, which we did until Don Bowles showed up at Indy that year with a 351 Cleveland Ford with help from Jack Roush. That car was changed to a Demon to run SS/K and then SS/KA. Car still in Maine and has been restored.

Larry Stewart( did all Paint and Body work on our cars) and I went down to visit Ed at SLP while we were in Englishtown this year, he is President and very involved in the running of it, working 4 1/2 days a week, either in Toms River or Detroit.
Pictures to follow once I get them resized.

Mack Reeves 08-03-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi Moose (Post 338236)
Mack, cool pic got anymore old ones of it!

Got several..... This one at Jackson SC at Bracket Finals in 2001 or 2002... Photo from Michael Beard who was shooting for IHRA at the time...

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1332974978

dannyboy 08-03-2012 11:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ed's Car and Our '74 Dusters

Buckner Racing 08-03-2012 12:09 PM

I own 2 big block 69 GTS Darts. One is Bud Lafevre's old stocker M- code 440 car and the other is a 383 auto,both restored. 'having trouble loading pics'
Ray Buckner