CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cool race car names! (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=10059)

66 427 CHEVY STOCKER WAGON 03-28-2008 07:47 PM

Re: Cool race car names!

sal i remember hearing the story how tony neri's 65 gto came off the tow bar and went
thru the side of a barn on the way home from dover and he pulled it out and drove it home
when my dad and donnie get together i get to listen to all these great racing stories

Ken Haase 03-28-2008 07:49 PM

Maybe some of you more 'senior' Div.1 guys can identify, or at least remember, these cars or drivers. I just dug a shoebox of slides and prints out of the closet. Circa 1968 or so, from Epping.

Orange and white altered w/b '65 Dodge called the "Flintstone Charger"

white 65/66 Buick, says 'Smyly Buick GS400' on the side

Ohio George had the 'Malco Gasser' there that day, along with Jack Merkel and others

Purple '40 Willys out of Brockman's Speed Shop

Turquoise '67 396/325 SS Chevelle w/ black vinyl top ring a bell? Superior Automotive in shoe polish on the door.

And one of my favorite names; " cool breeze" written in shoe polish on a B/S burgundy '66 Chevelle SS

When I raced my '68 442 always wanted to call it 'Bo-dacious' or Saturn V but somebody beat me to both those tags.

66 427 CHEVY STOCKER WAGON 03-28-2008 07:56 PM

i forgot tom valentine's car
"the pied piper "
"follow me" on the tailgate
66 bel air 427 / 425 wagon
lee valentine's dad/ 4 speed
mid 12"s d/stock in 66

tim worner 03-28-2008 08:46 PM

Here are some car names out of the past--mostly Beaver Springs--York US30---Maple Grove

Just Me--------Rockeys Goat-------Tokyo Rose------Tight Nuts------Malco Super Vette--Underdog-----F Troop----Green Meanie------Strip Sweeper----Glory Stomper----Bad Habit---A Ton of Fun-----

Michael Beard 03-28-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarn05 (Post 63808)
how about the names of the cars that are still being raced today? my wagon "the behemoth" and my dads 64 plymouth "earthquake" even though it does not say that anymore.

That's yours? I remember seeing the Behemoth at the Atco Nat'l Open in the late '90s. One of my favorite cars of all time!

It wasn't a car name per se, but the art lettering style they used on Brett Riethmiller's white "REITHMILLER" 'cuda was awesome. Lots of personality. We miss you, Brett.

How about *driver's* names? My two absolute favorite good ol' fashion drag racer names of all time... Dominic Balducci and Iggie Boicesco! They're just fun to say. :-)

Pat Cook 03-28-2008 09:50 PM

The current name for my 67 Fairlane stocker is " The Money Pit" the wife came up with that.....go figure...

Had a 62 Falcon that ran H/S formula 4 or what ever the crazy AHRA sytem was it was called "Preparation H"

66 427 CHEVY STOCKER WAGON 03-28-2008 09:54 PM

Crossfire / My D/ Stock / Auto 427 / 390 My66 390/427 Impala
On The Trunk"you Got Stranded.. Cought In The Crossfire"

RICKYM 03-28-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Beard (Post 63824)
That's yours? I remember seeing the Behemoth at the Atco Nat'l Open in the late '90s. One of my favorite cars of all time!

It wasn't a car name per se, but the art lettering style they used on Brett Riethmiller's white "REITHMILLER" 'cuda was awesome. Lots of personality. We miss you, Brett.

How about *driver's* names? My two absolute favorite good ol' fashion drag racer names of all time... Dominic Balducci and Iggie Boicesco! They're just fun to say. :-)

How about A. lincoln Morehead! just wondering what the A stands for?

66 427 CHEVY STOCKER WAGON 03-28-2008 10:05 PM

One More Dover Car...
The Mad Frenchman Mavrick !!!!!

66 427 CHEVY STOCKER WAGON 03-28-2008 10:18 PM

One More Car That I Heard That Ran At Lebanon Valley
A 66 Caprice Station Wagon F/sa Called "knock On Wood"
427/390

stefan callender 03-28-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKYM (Post 63829)
How about A. lincoln Morehead! just wondering what the A stands for?

The "A" my friend stands for Abraham.

bsa633 03-28-2008 11:29 PM

Teachers Pet (Jerry Stein)and wild wild wedge(Matt Rover)won a couple of times in the 80's ..that made those names stuck with me..

Jim Carter 03-29-2008 12:02 AM

From the Scotch Plains area of New Jersey, back in the day, the following cars ran out of Ken Shilay's Shop:
"Rumpus 777" 63 Plymouth, owned by John Abraitis, recently pictured in Hemmings Muscle Cars.
""11TH Commandment" 64 Plymouth: Owner Unknown
"Bad Attitude": 55 Chevy G/S Owner Unknown

Other cars from that time and area:
"Iron Horse": 66 396, 375 El Camino from HOB Chevrolet owned by Jimmy Reaves
"Bisquick" : B/S 427 Biscayne, owned by Billy Izykowski

"Terrible Tangerine": Ralph Truppi and Tommy Kling's F/S 57 Wagon
"Bad Banana": Frank Iaconio's F/S 57 Coupe
"Cierious Problem" 66 Chevelle wagon S/S owned by the Cieri Bros.
"Dr. Destructo" K/S Vette owned by John Hoffman
"Moon Shine": 56 Chevy stocker, Owned by the Ronca Bros.
"Celluloid Hero": Herslow and Morlock 70 Friebird E/SA

"Yoo Hoo Too": Jesel's 56 Sedan Delivery Jr. Stocker
"Soul Survivor": 69 427 SS/D, Camaro owned by Sherwood Allen

Aaahh the good old days...

raceannouncer 03-29-2008 01:18 AM

More names:

"Swamp Rat"--"Big Daddy" Don Garlits' series of dragsters
"Freight Train"--John & Bev Peter's line of dual front engined dragsters!
"Pure Hell" & "The Winged Express" Fuel Altereds!
"The Hawaiian"--Roland Leong's long line of Funny Cars!
"Ramchargers"--Series of Dodge Stock, Super Stock, Pro Stock & Funny Cars
"Tameless Tiger"--"Farmer" Arnie Beswick's series of Pontiacs
"Chi-Town Hustler"--Farkonas, Coil & Minick's Charger Funny Cars
"Rambunctious"--Gene Snow's line of Dodge Funny Cars
"Rat In A Cat"--Ed Alessi's awesome SG Pontiac Catalina!
"Hellacious"--Bob Sarkisian's '48 Anglia gasser
"King Kong"--Kohler Brothers Anglia gasser
"L.A. Dart" (no, the letters didn't stand for Los Angeles!)--"Wild" Bill Shrewsberry's
Dodge Dart wheelstanders
"Grounds For Divorce"--WNY Bracket Racer John Hummel's ET machines

There's more to come!

Mike Paz, Motorsports Announcer

RICKYM 03-29-2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan callender (Post 63834)
The "A" my friend stands for Abraham.

Thanks stef i thought thats what the "A" stood for! I had a couple people playing me that his name was Albert LOL!!!!!!! p.s. good luck to stinkin linkin and all stock and superstock racers on fun and safe 2008 season!

76 RACER 03-29-2008 02:18 AM

The Purple Willys from Brockmans was Paul Frost's car. How bout Dennis Hague's 55 Chevy called the ALL AMERICAN that was sold to Ken Shawver. Bill Stepps 68 Cuda called CZAR that ran B/MP.

Valentine 03-29-2008 02:18 AM

Thanks stef i thought thats what the "A" stood for! I had a couple people playing me that his name was Albert LOL!!!!!!!

Albert I just want to wish you the best of luck on this years race season.......LLLLOOOOOLLLL

Michael Beard 03-29-2008 06:35 AM

http://www.torinosaurus.com/images/t20.jpg

Chuck Comella 03-29-2008 07:45 AM

"Bronze Hog" 66 427 Biscayne Squeak Pullen
"Duece and Half" 66 Nova Duane Goodman
"Old rumble guts" A Gas record holding 426 hemi powered 50 Austin Bill Drake
"Checkmate" 69 Camaro Big Tom Fletcher (Danny's Father)
"Kraut" 66 Chevelle Al Stauch

vic guilmino 03-29-2008 08:05 AM

filthy forty

Frank Castros 03-29-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAL PIACENTINI (Post 63779)
Al, You missed a track that shut everything down for 1 Hr for lunch.The bar by the train tracks on the way in was busy.Your dad,Don, Richie & Tony Neri & the whole Stratford gang had lunch there.Made for interesting racing when the afternoon activities started.I'll never forget Tony's Nova barrel rolling on the dirt embankment. I grew up waiting for the weekends to race with friends & enemies, party afterwards with dates & loonies.
!st time to spectate with my family watched Bill Jenkins tune Doc Burgess's Black Arrow Dodge.

Dover was a special place, great Stock, Super Stock and Modified racing. I used to hang with the Lovallo brothers (Corvette) and remember Fred Egloff, Tommy Iarizzo, Billy Casey, John Mase, Frank Lupo, Louie Vignona, House of Speed, Russo's Rat, the Valentines, etc, and oh yea, lunch down the street by the tracks! Charlie Tanner and his dad ran a great dragstrip.

CycloneFE 03-29-2008 09:26 AM

Long time ago from central IL

WILD CHILD

Stick Racing 03-29-2008 09:31 AM

A certain 4 cylinder turbocharged Probe running 8.50's.

While following his trailer to the races, I noticed he has something about a "Four-gasm" written on the back door....

Andy Stone 1102 B/S

Superfan1 03-29-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Castros (Post 63641)
Anyone remember from the defunct Dover Dragstrip in Wingdale NY?
Earthquake
Lead Zeppelin
Twistin Texan
Real Thing
Sunday's Child
Russo's Rat
Thumper
NovaCain
Super Pumpkin
Trick Tank
Plum Crazy
Playmate
Popeye
Pied Piper

Dover was the first drag strip that I attended way back in 1962, and I do remember some of the names on your list. Those were the days.
Bill Seabrooks - superfan1

FLibs 03-29-2008 11:56 AM

Div. 3
a few names from the 60's and 70's
Coal Digger Don Bowles Ford Fairmont and Mustangs
Brief Encounter Dallas Jones
Scrap Iron Mike Phillips 55 chevy
Ky. White Lightning Mike Libs 61 B/S Pont.
Banchie 67 Firebird
Makin Bacon Army Armstrong's VW

Thats just a few from Owensboro Ky.

Dan Bennett 03-29-2008 02:13 PM

It was great going to Indy in the 60s and seeing all the names on the cars. Just off the top of my head, I remember the U.S Kids, Outlaw Brothers, We Haul, and of course Tuff Rabbit.

Going way back in the St Louis area, there was the Old Crow (still think it was the ex-Ramchargers early Plymouth gasser), High & Mighty, Mr. Zoom, Pappy's Six, Florida Twister, Pure Rat, Super Fly, Warlord, Patches, and Mach I. Later on, Marshall Wuertley ran the first local tubbed car I remember, the Blood, Sweat, and Gears 55 Chevrolet.

What was on the fender of Buddy Ingersoll's Cutlass? I'm suffering from old timers.

And in an aside for Michael Beard, I just rememberd that Patches was lettered with self-adhesive shelf paper. This was in the mid-sixties. What a pioneer, huh?

imported_Ray Remington 03-29-2008 04:53 PM

A few cars now being run in Div. 5

Baluga Jr.
Brown Sugar
Slack Time
Cool Henry
Pig Farmers Delight
Gene's Machine
Curtis Racing

Dave Turner 03-29-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Beard (Post 63854)

I have one of those!!

Kim Rhoads 426 03-29-2008 09:15 PM

Some serior members may remember some of these names and cars.
Bill (Grumpy) Jenkins 55 Chevy Monster Mash
Joe Docghterty (DOC) 63 Plymouth Tight Nuts
Tommy Merada and Don Owens 63 Plymouth Pink Panther
Greg Smith 67 Chevelle ( SS/E ) Bomerang
Barry Kerns 67 Chevelle ( SS/E ) Shangrala Most Beautiful Paint Job I ever Saw
Ron Readman 64 Plymouth SS Flying Wedge
Stan Spolski 61 Corvette ( MP ) Bad Bunny
Jerry Stein 63-64 Plymouths Teachers Pet
Harold Laplatt 64 Plymouth Hemi (Satelite)
Larry Lombordo 61 Corvette Buck Shot

Don Turk 03-30-2008 10:33 AM

Wild Child
Chicken Coop
Reverend Mr Black
Dreamweaver
Wells Fargo
Crazy Charlie
Killer Bee
Mighty Samson

Run to Rund 03-30-2008 10:45 AM

Buddy Ingersoll's Olds had a blue stripe, his name, and Wayne County Speed shop on the side, and stickers of course. The picture I have from 5/27/77 Nat. Drag. doesn't show any trick name on the car.

Dan Bennett 03-30-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Run to Rund (Post 63939)
Buddy Ingersoll's Olds had a blue stripe, his name, and Wayne County Speed shop on the side, and stickers of course. The picture I have from 5/27/77 Nat. Drag. doesn't show any trick name on the car.

Thanks. I remember the blue and white paint, but somehow thought there was a car name on the fender.

Stock 958 03-30-2008 02:17 PM

Curtis Smith Hot Stuff E/SA
Earl Smith Shakedown H/SA
JR Riner Two Barrel Express J/S

Geerhead55 03-30-2008 02:38 PM

Not to pick on the imports,, but how about Terry Hoard's high revvin' ear piercin' Mazda called "The Samorai Warrior", (I hope I spelled it right) and we have a guy out here in the NW now with an old primered gray VW beetle that he calls "The Flying Turd"................................. Danny Durham

Frank Bialas 03-30-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Rhoads 426 (Post 63905)
Some serior members may remember some of these names and cars.
Bill (Grumpy) Jenkins 55 Chevy Monster Mash
Joe Docghterty (DOC) 63 Plymouth Tight Nuts
Tommy Merada and Don Owens 63 Plymouth Pink Panther
Greg Smith 67 Chevelle ( SS/E ) Bomerang
Barry Kerns 67 Chevelle ( SS/E ) Shangrala Most Beautiful Paint Job I ever Saw
Ron Readman 64 Plymouth SS Flying Wedge
Stan Spolski 61 Corvette ( MP ) Bad Bunny
Jerry Stein 63-64 Plymouths Teachers Pet
Harold Laplatt 64 Plymouth Hemi (Satelite)
Larry Lombordo 61 Corvette Buck Shot

Hey Kim even though our friend John Bender is very active, can we add his name to the list because I didn't see CHEAP TRILLS mentioned anywhere. I always liked the logo GROUNDS FOR DIVORSE, very true never got to use it [long story there], but I did get to speak with BIG JIM DUNN a few years back and got his permission and rights to FIREMAN'SQUICKY.

CAPTAIN CRAZY

Ryan Horensky 03-31-2008 12:05 AM

Growing up in D1 I've got to see some pretty cool car names. Mr. Boudreau's golddigger is probobly the most known being it was on so many cars he has had. Jerry Stein had the Teacher's Pet, and for the ford guys out there. Jim Conte, Sr. campained the Shockwave 68 fastback mustang that most people that know jimmy and his dad remember it being blue with white shelby stripes the last time they raced the car. Gotta give props to Wally Clark too! He had a million cars and they all said Wally Clark on the side! That should be up there with car names. At least out here on the east coast! and also Jim Bouburka and of course Joe Scott! They had many cars with simply there name on. Very fast and great looking cars also!

Ryan Horensky
B/SA 1273

Dick Butler 03-31-2008 07:55 AM

Current Great Names TOO Warfish, Charlie Westcott SS/AH
Honkin Hemi Tony Depillo SS/B Belvedere
Wrecking Crew Dallas Kelly SS/B Thunderbolt

Stacie J. Ridings 03-31-2008 01:07 PM

My Dad, Jerry Jennings had "Aggrivation" on his race cars for many years. It started with his Panel Wagon, then a 1960 Corvette, then the 1969 Camaro "Aggrivation Too". Yes, it was misspelled. It was that way when he bought his first car. The first car also had "Can you beleve a 283 ?". My Dad's traveling buddies called him "Mr. Aggrivation" on the CB radio. I bought my Camaro, Aug 1,1996, and went to Greer Dragway to do my first burn out. A long time racing friend said "Little Aggrivation has a car now". I liked it, and put "Li'l Aggravation" on the side of my car. I had to spell it correctly! Almost two years ago now, Dad bought his Grand Prix, and he put "Mr. Aggravation" back on it. Unfortunately, both cars have become an aggravation with breaking parts and just not working like they should.

Bob Rice 03-31-2008 03:42 PM

"Top Cat" Bobby Warren I/S '57 Chevy 210 hardtop
"Hot Shot" Bud Rowe J/S '69 Nova
"Scalp Hunter" Frank Sawyer D/S '68 Z/28 Camaro
"The Bandit" Larry Whitley G/SA '62 Dodge wagon
"The Mover" Bill Fodrey G/SA '62 Dodge wagon
"The Golden Chariot" Gerald Rouse K/S '57 Chevy wagon
"Jeopardy" George Duff I/S ?57 Chevy 150 sedan
?The Boozer? Mickey McGlawhorn I/S ?57 Chevy 210 hardtop ex ?Top Cat?
?The Intruder? David Broughton R/S ?59 Chevy 2 door sedan

FlyingW 03-31-2008 09:33 PM

buddy's car didnt have any trick name he kept it the same as my dad had it except for wayne county when dad had it it had forest oldsmobile on it. God that was a pretty car.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Run to Rund (Post 63939)