CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Donate to the NHRA Museum? Really? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=71786)

Greenlight 12-26-2018 08:01 PM

Re: Donate to the NHRA Museum? Really?

2011 ~ 2016 NHRA Museum Tax Return summary

https://projects.propublica.org/nonp...ions/943021388

Some of their, "net fund raising" over the years has resulted in negative (-) dollar amounts.

And what's with their "sale of assets"?

bubski 12-26-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by House of Darts (Post 578944)
I donated $1,000.00 dollars. My 318 4 bbl combo -15 HP. Best $ I ever spent.

Maybe AH guys could throw in a few bucks to keep their milled off intake flange heads !! Get out your mini broach !!

Steve Polhill 12-27-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie Jordan (Post 578897)
The museum is a separate organization from NHRA, a 501(c)(3) organization. The funds don’t mingle.

Maybe NHRA should make a donation to it's own Museum then.

Dwight Southerland 12-30-2018 10:32 AM

Maybe the perception here is too harsh and undeserving. It seems that the museum was started to honor the history of NHRA and the work of Wally Parks, which is a good thing. Also, none of the revenue is given to NHRA. In fact, it seems that while "NHRA" is in the name of the organization, they are not the "owners". It is a separate, stand alone entity whose purpose is to support and preserve the museum. The latest financial reports shows a salary compensation of only $48K, which is more than reasonable for the amount of work it would take to manage the operations for a whole year. The original organization papers were signed by Cary Menard, and that speaks very positively to me. While I am not encouraging anyone to donate, I do not think the museum deserves to be vilified as a money-sucking ploy of the NHRA. If you have ever been there, it is an honorable representation of the history of NHRA drag racing and of the efforts of Wally Parks and the many men who worked to build the sport.

Nmbr1GMfan 12-30-2018 01:55 PM

Thank you for the education Dwight.

Don Sofranko 01-01-2019 07:37 PM

I always have a good time at the museum, and the last time there really enjoyed the Mickey Thompson exhibit. Its amazing how many things that guy was involved in. He did more in his lifetime than a dozen other racers. My only wish would be to see a little more content for sportsman door cars. There rarely seems to be a Stock, SS, Modified, or Comp car. I think the Melrose Missle might be one of the few cars. Maybe that's because no one has donated or loaned a car? Its always dominated by nitro class cars. Does anyone remember seeing a good class car exhibit there?

B/S 428 01-02-2019 01:03 PM

The two times I've been there was awesome, the entry is discounted/free, depending on the time of day, with nhra membership card, they also had a car show out front in the parking lot that was free also. I would highly recommend going and I always put a little money in the donation box. Brian Seaberg

MikeMoller 01-02-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland (Post 579284)
Maybe the perception here is too harsh and undeserving. It seems that the museum was started to honor the history of NHRA and the work of Wally Parks, which is a good thing. Also, none of the revenue is given to NHRA. In fact, it seems that while "NHRA" is in the name of the organization, they are not the "owners". It is a separate, stand alone entity whose purpose is to support and preserve the museum. The latest financial reports shows a salary compensation of only $48K, which is more than reasonable for the amount of work it would take to manage the operations for a whole year. The original organization papers were signed by Cary Menard, and that speaks very positively to me. While I am not encouraging anyone to donate, I do not think the museum deserves to be vilified as a money-sucking ploy of the NHRA. If you have ever been there, it is an honorable representation of the history of NHRA drag racing and of the efforts of Wally Parks and the many men who worked to build the sport.

Might have been to quick and uninformed to complain, not knowing they were separate. Thanks for the insight Dwight.