CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I Was Shocked......... (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=24078)

Chris "drooze" Wertman 02-27-2010 08:57 PM

Re: I Was Shocked.........

I was at Atlanta Dragway today....much poorer condition all around than I expected.....maybe its just because its "off season" ? Track was ok though, strange layout (to me) but hey......

I guess I wont any longer be disheartened at living 20 minutes from 42 (which you expect to be what it is, but it hooks for me and there are just plain awesome people there , they go out of their way to do things for us, like when they heard my son got his Jr, they let us come early in the AM and get him acclimated to the car on the track and such for hours before they opened, that was class in my book)

And Norwalk which is just a plain nice track although its a haul almost 40 minutes away :) But oddly I always run faster at 42....always....

National Trails I wasnt so impressed with either last year.....

But that and Quaker City are the expanse of my current knowledge (other than Gainesville)

I didnt know National Trails was NHRA owned also, (didnt know till today Atlanta was either)

Private $ will always do a better job I think of doing a track, the NHRA has too many other things to spend money on.

Maybe they should "privatize" the tracks, or do long term leases to interested parties.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean3870 (Post 171901)
National Trails in Columbus OH is no different at all! Its NHRA owned too, and the took the national event away from it, and gave it to a privet owned track!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Pinkston 02-27-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris DeGidio (Post 171673)
It's who is running the place. Too much of the "if ya don't like it,race somewhere else" attitude.

Chris knows!

RIP Bob Moore.

Hey Dan Moore, you're #1. :D

RIP Mark Graham

ItsyBitsySpider 02-28-2010 04:43 PM

Boy is that true.... and yes, I miss Bob Moore ....and Fuzzy too. :(

It was the wonderful people (fellow racers & track employees) at Gainesville that made racing there fun during my bracket years (1980s-90s)
I was there to race & didn't pay much attention to the stinky sulphur water or the icky bathrooms. But always check under those toilet seats... for spiders and stuff.... and those crazy tree frogs.

Chris "drooze" Wertman 02-28-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsyBitsySpider (Post 172058)
and those crazy tree frogs.

Lol...that is so true, I jumped about 9 feet high when putting my hand out to catch change from the soda machine in the manit area by the officed behind the fence) that liked to throw change out, and a tree frog hit my hand...scared the hell outta me.

A big guy who was with me was wondering why I jumped like a spaz and I said THERE and showed him the frog that went from inside the coin slot to my and back to the soda machine, he jumped even higher and shrieked...sheesh youda thought it was a rattlesnake (both of us:)

Monte Howard 02-28-2010 07:27 PM

Drooze,wait till you see Bowling Green,That place beats all in my book.

Myron Piatek 02-28-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsyBitsySpider (Post 172058)
Boy is that true.... and yes, I miss Bob Moore ....and Fuzzy too. :(

It was the wonderful people (fellow racers & track employees) at Gainesville that made racing there fun during my bracket years (1980s-90s)
I was there to race & didn't pay much attention to the stinky sulphur water or the icky bathrooms. But always check under those toilet seats... for spiders and stuff.... and those crazy tree frogs.

They use to give candy out during first round of time trials and one lady who use to work there made little home-made Christmas decorations for all the racers. Just little things like that made you feel welcome and part of a family. The "good ole days!"

Heard Fuzzy was at the PRI show either this past year or the year before.

Chris "drooze" Wertman 03-01-2010 01:09 AM

Nice ? Bad ? Bizzare ? Like Heaven (with Hooters girls ?)

? lol....seriously whats it like ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monte Howard (Post 172081)
Drooze,wait till you see Bowling Green,That place beats all in my book.

ItsyBitsySpider 03-01-2010 04:00 PM

I remember the candy Myron.... every one had a lollypop after first round.

Drooze, they had to shoo a raccoon off the track last time I was at Bowling Green....
but it's a beautiful setting, nice trees, soft grass, riverside and an amusement park & pool next door. (but if it's hot, it'll melt your generator)

Mack Reeves 03-01-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myron Piatek (Post 172086)
They use to give candy out during first round of time trials and one lady who use to work there made little home-made Christmas decorations for all the racers. Just little things like that made you feel welcome and part of a family. The "good ole days!"

Heard Fuzzy was at the PRI show either this past year or the year before.

Found this on Gainesville website.. I didn't know either...

Lanny " Fuzzy" Hill
Wednesday, February 10, 2010

http://www.nhra.net/2010/images/gainesville/Fuzzy.jpg
Long time Gainesville Raceway event employee, friend to all, and tremendous drag racing fan, Lanny ( Fuzzy ) Hill, age 60, passed away on Monday, February 1, 2010 at home in Ocala, Florida, after a prolonged illness.
A celebration of life will be held on:

February 14, 2010, at 1:00 pm
14489 NE 113 Court
Fort McCoy, FL
You may reach Inez at 352-236-2066 for directions to the Fort McCoy address.
In lieu of flowers because of the financial burden of the past year for Lanny’s care, it is requested donations be made directly to Inez Hill, at the above address Or any BB&T Bank to Inez Hill, FBO Lanny Hill.