CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Water in radiator rusty looking (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68994)

rod 02-25-2018 12:02 PM

Re: Water in radiator rusty looking

FYI, the waterless coolant is basically RV anti-feeze. it will not cool unless you used a 20 lb or higher rad. cap. most rads. will not take that kind of pressure. I use that RV AF in my solar hot water system. believe me, it absorbs a lot of heat. but getting rid of the heat using the RV AF is not easy
Rod in AZ

Darrel Goheen 02-26-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod (Post 556998)
FYI, the waterless coolant is basically RV anti-feeze. it will not cool unless you used a 20 lb or higher rad. cap. most rads. will not take that kind of pressure. I use that RV AF in my solar hot water system. believe me, it absorbs a lot of heat. but getting rid of the heat using the RV AF is not easy
Rod in AZ

Hmmm, that's not the info I got from Evans. They say it should build very little if any pressure because it doesn't contain water.

tim worner 03-06-2018 05:53 PM

mix in a gallon of windshield washer fluid

Lenny5160 03-06-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY (Post 556062)
I took my radiator to be cleaned at a reputable radiator shop. Although it used to be TABOO, many racers put a quart or so of antifreeze in the water....

I like to keep a couple gallons of antifreeze in the system.

MR DERBY CITY 03-06-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny5160 (Post 557552)
I like to keep a couple gallons of antifreeze in the system.

If you Leak your COUPLE of gallons of antifreeze on the starting line in D 3, you WONT be receiving any XMAS cards from MR. BOOSHELL......

Eman 03-08-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim worner (Post 557543)
mix in a gallon of windshield washer fluid

Washer fluid, like some RV antifreeze, contains alcohol. Not good for the rubber seals in the cooling system.

tim worner 03-08-2018 04:35 PM

been using coolant for years with no concerns but don't forget about Evans Coolant they also post contingency

njk53 03-09-2018 12:56 PM

We used a Prestone product with pure tap water that was a rust inhibitor and water pump lubricant that worked pretty good. Haven't been able to find it as of late, Prestone may have quit making it. All cooling systems believe it or not will have a small amount of electricity running through it so, you have a small amount of electrolysis taking place feeding on the engine block and causing the water to rust up. We have been using the Red Line product, Water Wetter as of late. It seems to work pretty well.