CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   current cost of having good stocker head work? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=87192)

MR DERBY CITY 04-25-2024 06:16 PM

Re: current cost of having good stocker head work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by B/S 428 (Post 696562)
Wow, thanks for the disrespectful slam, never mind that I build everything on my car, rear end, rollerized trans, custom cylinder hone and ring pac, heads and seat work by me along with carb, 20 years of working on it, I went from running mid 15s to a best of 12.90 at 101 with a .355 lift cam so yeah it's been a gift...21 Wallys and #1 indy 2022 Ive never worked so hard to go so slow.
Brian Seaberg 627

You are to be commended for doing everything on your car. Additionally, qualifying Numero Uno at INDY is quite an accomplishment.…..:):):)

Justin Graham 04-26-2024 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B/S 428 (Post 696551)
my Comet runs pretty good.

I concur to the "pretty good", I've seen it! Great run at LV Class Finals Brian!

My best guess Professor would be the cost depends on the actual head being serviced. Unless some thing has changed, I was quoted by a great head builder $3500 for 305s to be done.

B/S 428 04-26-2024 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Graham (Post 696590)
I concur to the "pretty good", I've seen it! Great run at LV Class Finals Brian!

My best guess Professor would be the cost depends on the actual head being serviced. Unless some thing has changed, I was quoted by a great head builder $3500 for 305s to be done.

Thanks Justin, I know it's not for everyone but all of this can be done for the cost of parts, all in for everything on my heads under $1000 I have a old portable Souix valve seat grinder that I works fine, of course the hours add up, 20-40 hours on a set of heads and 20-40 hours on a short block..this includes CC combustion chambers and runners, the only thing I don't do is deck/ mill heads or bore block..

nolongerracing 04-26-2024 04:12 PM

$1000. in parts??

Someone earlier said that $250 per hour was flat rate at a good repair shop and you spent 20 to 40 hours on your heads, wouldn't that add up to $5000. to $10,000. labor??

So, what's the problem with the quotes you are getting??

Quote:

Originally Posted by B/S 428 (Post 696601)
Thanks Justin, I know it's not for everyone but all of this can be done for the cost of parts, all in for everything on my heads under $1000 I have a old portable Souix valve seat grinder that I works fine, of course the hours add up, 20-40 hours on a set of heads and 20-40 hours on a short block..this includes CC combustion chambers and runners, the only thing I don't do is deck/ mill heads or bore block..

MR DERBY CITY 04-27-2024 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich (Post 696527)

Ask MJ Quinn how I know all of this.

By the way, MJ, missed you at the combo on Sunday.

I was actually in Bowling Green on Saturday to see my granddaughter’s high school play. Man, I sure miss racing but some things in life just aren’t meant to be. I also miss the guy in the Black Stetson !!!!! ::):):)