CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Dumbo The Flying Elephant (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72394)

Dwight Southerland 04-19-2019 09:29 AM

Re: Dumbo The Flying Elephant

Larry -
If you are going to make a flat cut on the head to reduce combustion chamber size, here is an easy way to know exactly how much to cut. Put the head on a stand with the combustion chamber facing up. Shim or adjust the head so the head surface is level in all directions using a level. Then, pour the combustion chamber with the amount specified for minimum volume. Use a dial indicator on a bridge to measure the distance to the surface of the fluid from the head surface. Do that for all cylinders and adjust the numbers to determine how much to cut.
This method will work on any head regardless of combustion chamber shape or size.

Larry Hill 04-19-2019 01:28 PM

Thanks Phil and Dwight, I will fill and check to see if 5cc will be .030''

Greg West 04-19-2019 01:55 PM

Take a piece of graph paper and trace a outline of the combustion chamber shape on the paper. Count the number of squares on the paper that are within the traced area. Do the math to calculate the area of the squares. From there you can calculate the volume. This method will get you close. Double check the volume with your first pass on the mill.

Mike Gray 04-19-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hill (Post 587159)
Pored alcohol all day and only lost 1/2 a qt. The heads are legal right out of the box. The runners are good and the chamber is big 5 to 6 cc. I will run it that way and then recheck before we make an adjustment.

Does anyone how much to cut to reduce chamber size by 1 cc?

Thanks

Hopefully it wasn't the good stuff and by losing 1/2qt do you mean spilling it or drinking it?

Larry Hill 04-20-2019 07:31 AM

I spilled it, but I did buy a small funnel that fits the burette.

Yesterday was recording day in the "Dumbo" engine book. The engine I got came in several boxes, for me its the only way to get one. Most boxes have the brand name and part numbers. This make replacement parts hunting easier. Other parts are in plane white or brown wrappers without part numbers. Such was case with the spring seats for the head. Exhaust and intake have different seats, valves are not the same length. So I make a drawing of each in case I can't find a vendor. If push comes to shove I will be able to find some in some bar stock.

Since I had the heads out I would see how well the seats fit. They almost fit but would not set flat against the head. The problem was the OD of the chamfer was not large enough to have clearance over the radius on the head. Solution cut chamfer 1/64 bigger than the chamfer on the guide boss. I was surprised as to how soft and easy the spring seats machined.

I wonder how much unwanted aluminum the seats would have shaved of heads and put in the oil?

Tom Broome 04-20-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland (Post 587170)
Larry -
If you are going to make a flat cut on the head to reduce combustion chamber size, here is an easy way to know exactly how much to cut. Put the head on a stand with the combustion chamber facing up. Shim or adjust the head so the head surface is level in all directions using a level. Then, pour the combustion chamber with the amount specified for minimum volume. Use a dial indicator on a bridge to measure the distance to the surface of the fluid from the head surface. Do that for all cylinders and adjust the numbers to determine how much to cut.
This method will work on any head regardless of combustion chamber shape or size.

Done it this way for decades.

Use a dial indicator and bridge or a depth micrometer and some ground tool stock for parallels. Once the chamber is filled with the specific amount of fluid, lower the tip a thousandth at a time. Watch the tip of the indicator or micrometer, when the tip touches the fluid the surface tension will attach the tip. You can then calculate the amount to remove.
If your surfacing machine is really level, you can do it right there....you're not going to bump the head out of level after it's bolted to the machine.

Larry Hill 04-21-2019 09:33 AM

Since all this gen 3 stuff is new to me I am going to check piston to valve clearance, before I do any cutting. Thanks to you guys I have some direction on doing it correctly.

Larry Hill 04-21-2019 05:09 PM

Just finished cc's on the heads. It should make more power now that I'm done. Growing up I always heard, ''If you want to go fast get some heads that have been cc'd from Racing Head Service.'' Well I sure hope my cc'ing is as good RHS. Time will tell.

Tim H 04-21-2019 07:44 PM

I bet your work is "A-1" and maybe we will say " if you want to go fast, get some heads cc'd from LHS."

Larry Hill 04-22-2019 07:37 AM

Today we start checking installed height, seat pressure, open pressure, and adjusting to make equal. It's going to take a while.

Larry Hill 04-24-2019 07:45 AM

I got THE call............... the car is ready to pick up at the paint shop.

Rod Greene 04-24-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hill (Post 587427)
I got THE call............... the car is ready to pick up at the paint shop.

That is some quick service. You have to post some pics.

Larry Hill 04-25-2019 07:45 AM

Fellow racer Jeff Mc Adoo and crew did a good job on matching 10 year old paint. The service was really fast.

Thanks.

Patsy will post pictures.

Bobby DiDomenico 04-25-2019 01:25 PM

Looking forward to seeing you out with the finished product Larry. Good luck!

Larry Hill 04-25-2019 02:31 PM

Car, dog, son!

JHeath 04-25-2019 02:43 PM

Looks great Larry !

Larry Hill 04-27-2019 08:01 AM

Last two days I got nothing done on the car. Computer and phone issues at work. I spent time getting prepared to go to the FAST class next week. Had to get new battery for laptop. Making tooling today to get accurate measurement of installed height.of springs. Most of the 440 stuff wont work on the Gen III. I think it will be a challenge to check piston to valve clearance, I will be making stuff for that.

Time to go to work

Larry Hill 04-28-2019 08:15 AM

Got my stuff made so I can check intake installed height. Height on one head only varied .007'' on the intake's, and changing valves position had zero effect. Could not check Ex valve height the mic would not collapse enough to get both keepers installed. Pac has a tool to fix that.

I did find a math problem. Taking the installed height, subtracting spring seat thickness, subtracting valve lift less lash and then compare to coil bind height. Much to my surprise the intake rocker if installed with the parts I have was going to try shove the spring down below the surface of the head .150''. That would make anyone have a bad day.

Wiring the car this week.

Back to work

340Cuda 04-28-2019 11:56 AM

Thanks for sharing this will us Larry, I have enjoyed following your build.

Larry Hill 05-05-2019 09:40 PM

Not off of subject but very important to the build. 5/3-4/2019 I attended the F.A.S.T. schools at Comp headquarters. Talk about your first day at kindergarten at 69 years old thats the kind of stuff that makes you sweat. Dave Page was our instructor and made all of us no-hair's or gray hairs feel at ease in just a few short minutes. A concise step by step approach that made real sense. We got to go on a plant tour. The place is busy, well lit, organised, and very clean. I was very impressed top to bottom. It kind of makes you glad that your a customer, with Comp as your support group.

More later

Mack Reeves 05-06-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hill (Post 588034)
Not off of subject but very important to the build. 5/3-4/2019 I attended the F.A.S.T. schools at Comp headquarters. Talk about your first day at kindergarten at 69 years old thats the kind of stuff that makes you sweat. Dave Page was our instructor and made all of us no-hair's or gray hairs feel at ease in just a few short minutes. A concise step by step approach that made real sense. We got to go on a plant tour. The place is busy, well lit, organised, and very clean. I was very impressed top to bottom. It kind of makes you glad that you a customer, with the Comp for your support group.

More later

Larry, from first hand experience I can attest to the more than expected service from David and all the rest of the FAST people.. From my first call to as of the Div II race in Gainesville where Matt spent more time with me than any body else, the customer service is second to none.. You have no worries about asking the dumb questions... Mack has already asked them all.. And not one of my questions wasn't answered in a professional way.. Most companies I buy from will put up with you for the warranty period but not FAST. They want to make sure you understand and know how to tune your hotrod to where you think it should be.. I can't say often or loud enough how impressed I am with them.. I had a chance to switch to another system this year.. I could not make myself do it just for all the time FAST has invested in me.. And the way beyond service I have received.. I trust you will find the same thing..

Larry Hill 05-10-2019 10:24 AM

In the motel I typed three paragraphs on my phone this morning. Then I club fingered something and it was gone

Larry Hill 05-11-2019 09:17 AM

I think we have decided on the final proofs for the art work on the doors and hood of the car. The deck lid design is still in discussion. Patsy says some people won't "get it ".

A big thanks to Arrow-Prefix, Bullet, Comp Cams, CV, Manley, PAC, Jimmy Ronzello, and Jeff Taylor for helping me through installed height and coilbind. It took a while but I'm happy with the repeatable and accuracy of my measurements.

A quick cleaning and assembling with checking springs and the head will be ready for checking lift and piston to valve clearance at split overlap.

Larry Hill 05-14-2019 04:48 PM

Everytime I think I'm gaining, something says look at me a little closer. When that happens it will cost me, usually, time and money, today was no different. Problem that had to be addressed, valve lock was bottoming out in groove before it contacted the valve stem. I think that would make turning 7500 RPM way to exciting. The fix was sending valves back to the manufacture with locks and retainer. But me looking at the positive side, its an American company and I should have parts back next week.

I found the part# I have been looking for for at least 3 months. I can't afford to buy it yet but I'm saving up.

More later.

Larry Hill 05-15-2019 08:39 AM

For me the engine is all new and a lot of the materials are different. Sometimes what I thought I knew does not apply. I mean how hard can it be to make eight single cylinders run the same? It seems like the engine wants two things every day, time and money

Bob Shaw 05-15-2019 09:46 PM

"Dumbo"...….That's the name of the car, right?

Larry Hill 05-16-2019 07:44 AM

It probably encompasses several parts of my racing operations like:
Driver of car
Engine builder
Purchasing agent
CEO
Clean up man
Truck driver
Cook
Tire changer
And roadside assistance person

jmcarter 05-16-2019 08:35 AM

Apparently you do the cooking....good man.

MR DERBY CITY 05-16-2019 08:50 PM

So Larry, will the new car be at BG next weekend ?

Larry Hill 05-17-2019 07:19 AM

Not even close. I will be working on it.

Larry Hill 05-17-2019 08:01 AM

I did get my Rimac tester to repeat to the .001'' when testing for coil bind. It was an easy fix. Remove POS pinion support and make new brass bearing and install. Modify stop to install 5" dial indicator. Make positive stop for table. Fab table extension for dial indicator. Use 123 blocks to calibrate. Rube Goldberg we be so proud.

In 16 springs the range of coil bind varied.022". That would not be so bad if hardened shims were available in increments of .001". If target is CB is .050" and I can't get closer than .010" I missed it by 20%.

Larry Hill 05-18-2019 08:26 AM

Talk about all new never run parts. The installed height difference on all intake valves only varies less than .010" and same for the exhaust valves. To get stuff closer I'm going to try a different set of springs and or make something to get the needed force on the seat.

Larry Hill 05-18-2019 05:00 PM

Test fit my T&D rockers today, what a great piece of work by Brad Rounds and crew. I had to do absolutely nothing, which was real nice for a change. I also found out that the rockers can be installed backwards. All this while I listen to Uncle Bob at the D3 race.

Larry Hill 05-24-2019 08:49 PM

Looking forward to the shop being closed for three days. I should get a lot done. It was 25 years ago we missed racing on Memorial Day weekend. I was building the truck and that weekend was header weekend at Gary Jennings. Brought the truck over less dog house.

Wiring is slow but it should easy to find and fix if necessary. Installed height, coil bind, seat pressure, open pressure, shims, and spring assignment is coming together. Rocker arms are done.

Today is scribe day. I put the shop notes and information of parts and settings in the ''Dumbo'' book.

Larry Hill 05-27-2019 08:08 AM

I don't know why this stuff pops in my head. If the book was titled:

"Reflections Of Dumbo", what would the cover look like?

Tim H 05-27-2019 11:16 AM

We are all really looking forward to it's debut. I am sure your meticulous preparation will pay dividends in performance. Hoping to see it @ Indy this year.

Larry Hill 05-27-2019 04:35 PM

Block work.

Tim we have not smelled smoke at all in 2019

Alan Nyhus 05-27-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hill (Post 589373)
I don't know why this stuff pops in my head. If the book was titled:
"Reflections Of Dumbo", what would the cover look like?

Black and white, film noir style lighting, Dumbo with a MoPar t-shirt on, sitting at an old wooden desk, typing on a Smith Corona, single 40 watt light bulb hanging by the wires over him. Ash tray full of cigarettes, of course. Maybe an almost empty pint of some cheap rye barely visible behind a clutter of papers. Should have a Fedora if you can get one to work with the ears.

Food for thought, image wise.....

https://i.imgur.com/SOjMAdjl.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/SlJXrLJl.png

Larry Hill 05-27-2019 04:53 PM

A roadmap for the electricity to follow. Look at all the pretty colors and boxes of stuff. Bob Toy is doing the electrical work 'cause it's way above my pay grade.

Larry Hill 05-29-2019 02:56 PM

It's crank time. Its the first time I ever had all new stuff. Measure crank and check size of bearings with bore gage and get the magic number of clearance

I made a mistake on pin sizes, 2.1245 should be 2.0995. I only missed the size by one revolution. Measure twice cut once.

According to the rulebook its only a "Stupid Old Man Trick" if it cost extra money or turns your face red