CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Important if you run D-H/S or SA (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=65136)

countrypuppy4865 02-03-2017 02:25 PM

Re: Important if you run D-H/S or SA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Beach (Post 525808)
A Carter AVS is not a spread bore, I have run this combo in my 68 Cuda since 1978. For a thermoquad to work without a spacer you would have to machine this manifold. Also my car will still fit in G with this combo. Before you worry to much about this combo, which there aren't that many out there, you might want to take a look at the 91 Corvette which holds the G/SA record at 10.54 at 124 or the 73 Pontiac TA - 455 at 306 hp. If you think all this aluminum stuff helps so much (other than weight) then why is the 70 Duster with aluminum heads 2 hp less than with cast iron heads? The AVS 340 combo & the 383 only take a 1 hp hit with aluminum heads & be prepared to spend big $$$$ to make them legal. Wish I could use a Quick fuel carb or a 4 speed auto trans. Didn't powerglide combo's got a 3 speed, why can't I run a 4 speed auto? That would help way more than a manifold. Can someone tell me, what is stock about stock eliminator these days. Just sayin.

G record is 10.57 not 10.54. However, it may be faster than that by the end of the year.

Chuck Beach 02-03-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countrypuppy4865 (Post 525837)
G record is 10.57 not 10.54. However, it may be faster than that by the end of the year.

Sorry for the mistake, could not get the the NHRA national record page. On my best day I would never see those numbers in my car at F weight. I guess I got a lot of work to do.

GTS340 02-03-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Beach (Post 525836)
Bingo - we have a winner!!!

I'm with you guys there!

older racer 02-03-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimi (Post 525835)
what makes anyone think that the edelbrock intake is worth hp? the factory cast iron intake is a pretty good piece.

hi, for what it's worth, had both on flow bench, attached to 587 head. the flow curve was damn close to the same. prob 3 CFM max difference. I had the 2100 manifold to compare with.

Billy Nees 02-03-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Beach (Post 525836)
Bingo - we have a winner!!!

Then NHRA should have no problem removing it!

Hi Chuck!
Hi Jimi! I hope all is well.

Coleydog 02-03-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimi (Post 525835)
what makes anyone think that the edelbrock intake is worth hp? the factory cast iron intake is a pretty good piece.

Might be some HP in it being aluminum (cooler mixture charge) but I'm not changing unless I need the weight moved to the rear, still gotta run the same weight no mater where it's at, right? As far as the aluminum head, heat dissipation compression loss, replacement iron head would be better. Lighter weight yea, but most don't have any trouble getting the wheels in the air. Been watching.
I'll find out soon

Wade_Owens 02-03-2017 05:02 PM

I agree, the 454 365 does need an Edelbrock. Greg Hill, would you help me by writng a letter too? :eek:

Wade O

Chuck Beach 02-03-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 525844)
Then NHRA should have no problem removing it!

Hi Chuck!
Hi Jimi! I hope all is well.

Doing great Billy. Yea, no problem as long as they get rid of the roller rockers, aluminum heads, 3 speeds that had glides, Quick fuel carbs, 327 on 283's (manifolds), and whatever else never came stock. :-)

Billy Nees 02-03-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Beach (Post 525850)
Doing great Billy. Yea, no problem as long as they get rid of the roller rockers, aluminum heads, 3 speeds that had glides, Quick fuel carbs, 327 on 283's (manifolds), and whatever else never came stock. :-)

I'm all for everything you've brought up! And let's throw in LD4Bs on 273s and all of the Police interceptor stuff on the FFFords.

Jim Storms 02-03-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Ya. What he said..... my points exactly, problem is each the class, each brand will always revolve in some form or another. Sometimes you have let things take its course no matter if it's right or wrong, eventually it will be made right. But with that said We don't always need the kid in the back of class running up an crying to the principal and begging to be the star quarterback. Relax Trigger!!!!!.....:

Coleydog 02-03-2017 07:08 PM

In reality, the cars, trans, rears, suspensions and engines are not even close to the originals. It's just adjusted on the windshields dial-ins anyway.
I remember back in the day this racer saying, "they can do anything to their cars as long as they're not in my class"

Billy Nees 02-03-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Storms (Post 525865)
We don't always need the kid in the back of class running up an crying to the principal and begging to be the star quarterback. Relax Trigger!!!!!.....:

If you're talking about me, you obviously don't know me very well.
But I would expect that from a west coast guy that races a couple of 340 cars.
I wonder if any of those "little brown envelopes" that I saw being passed around at Pomona in 2015 had anything to do with this deal.

Jim Storms 02-03-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 525869)
I wonder if any of those "little brown envelopes" that I saw being passed around at Pomona in 2015 had anything to do with this deal.

Does it really matter what coast we all live on? No!! Yes I do have 2 340 cars, is that a problem? Sometimes you just have to say who really cares. I can send some tissues your way if that helps.

Billy Nees 02-03-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Storms (Post 525871)
Does it really matter what coast we all live on? No!! Yes I do have 2 340 cars, is that a problem? Sometimes you just have to say who really cares. I can send some tissues your way if that helps.

Hey pal, I didn't start with the name calling, you did.
This just happened. It can get fixed now without a lot of B.S. As soon as those cars start going down the track, it gets a whole lot more difficult to fix.
Keep your tissues, you'll need them.

grncpe 02-03-2017 08:27 PM

There is no advantage other than the weight. When you go over the scales, your car has to be at min weight anyway. I don't see the big deal here? It sounds like nhra just approved nitrous for stock! Wow! There are a lot more important things going on it stock & super stock than a intake that is cast with the same dimensions as the cast iron one. What class do you run in Bill?

Bob Mulry 02-03-2017 09:04 PM

A lot of people don't have a clue....

More than I expected......

bubski 02-03-2017 10:08 PM

This takes the cake !! I thought the AMC death cry from a few years ago was the best !!

SSDiv6 02-04-2017 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 525869)

Billy, as regards to Jim Storms, even do he doesn't need anyone defending him, he doesn't need to pay anyone like you insinuate with brown envelopes.
He is a straight shooter and works very hard on his cars to make them fast.

I am very curious that this time you are asking racers to call and write to NHRA to not allow the intake.
Why? Is NHRA not listening to you anymore?

You put a lot of effort with the AMC cars allowance and they removed it from the books after your push and request.
So, while you were doing this for the AMC cars, why didn't you go after all the other allowances on the GM and Ford cars at the time?
Was it personal?

Ed Fernandez 02-04-2017 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiv6 (Post 525902)
Billy, as regards to Jim Storms, even do he doesn't need anyone defending him, he doesn't need to pay anyone like you insinuate with brown envelopes.
He is a straight shooter and works very hard on his cars to make them fast.

I am very curious that this time you are asking racers to call and write to NHRA to not allow the intake.
Why? Is NHRA not listening to you anymore?

You put a lot of effort with the AMC cars allowance and they removed it from the books after your push and request.
So, while you were doing this for the AMC cars, why didn't you go after all the other allowances on the GM and Ford cars at the time?
Was it personal?

not for nothing if Mr Storms can make his cars go fast then why does he need a manifold that never came on that combo? Just asking.
If guys like Billy weren't around questioning questionable parts S/SS would be a real flustercluck.

Frank Castros 02-04-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 525718)
Someone working in the NHRA Tech Dept. in Ca. has recently allowed the 1968-71 Chrysler 340 cars to legally use the Edelbrock LD340 intake manifold.
Unless you want this to stand, please contact your NHRA Tech officials and the Tech Dept. in Ca. and let them know your opinions.
If they won't be realistic and reverse this, might I suggest that you request your own Edelbrock intake be legalized for your personal combo! But please try and get the LD340 removed first!

What is the reason for allowing this manifold?

Alan Nyhus 02-04-2017 09:21 AM

Looks like the market has already responded:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-LD...ZYhtCT&vxp=mtr

I love capitalism.........:) :) :)

Tom keedle 02-04-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus (Post 525916)
Looks like the market has already responded:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-LD...ZYhtCT&vxp=mtr

I love capitalism.........:) :) :)

amc R4B's did that too but not to that extent....must be a mopar thing;)

Todd Hoven 02-04-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grncpe (Post 525880)
There is no advantage other than the weight. When you go over the scales, your car has to be at min weight anyway. I don't see the big deal here? It sounds like nhra just approved nitrous for stock! Wow! There are a lot more important things going on it stock & super stock than a intake that is cast with the same dimensions as the cast iron one. What class do you run in Bill?

Billy has been a racer for years and a traditionalist when it comes to the rules. There are quite a few of us out there. BTW he has been a Division champ in 2 classes and All Stars rep multi times as well. His credentials are valid.

Why is it that some people can get aftermarket parts approved and others cant? Every time I asked for a replacement part for my combo, All I ever heard was "its not in the spirit of stock eliminator" .So I bring up other combo's, then was told "one mistake doesn't justify another".

I guess the Pontiac racers were able to hold the morality line in stock eliminator for everyone.

If there is no advantage to it other than weight then why do the 340's need this? If its not a big deal then just allow everyone to run an Edlebrock Performer then? There is a reason someone is pushing for this and the only reason isn't weight on the nose

The Hawk 02-04-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Doing great Billy. Yea, no problem.....and whatever else never came stock. :-)

Like ported heads?

Mark Yacavone 02-04-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grncpe (Post 525880)

You must be new at this, if you don't realize what happens if you take 50-60 lbs off the nose of a Stocker ,and put that amount in the weight box.
Pretty soon , we'll need wheelie bars.
Oh ,wait ..I forgot. We already have them...for safety!

MR DERBY CITY 02-04-2017 11:44 AM

It NEVER ceases to amaze me the amount of WELFARE that certain racers ask for......

Greg Hill 02-04-2017 11:44 AM

Folks, just because something was in the parts books back in the day doesn't mean it should be legal for stock eliminator. Chevy had lots of high performance parts in the books back then. Doesn't mean that they are or should be legal for stock eliminator. And Todd if memory serves me well Pontiac had ram air 5 tunnel port heads that could be purchased if you knew the right people.

ken robinson 02-04-2017 12:00 PM

James you remember "we" bailed out on the 350 glide combo after the index wack and got the 396/325 for the legal 3spd just to keep up . Only to see the 3spd approval 1 year later , thats alot of parts on a shelf over an index ruling , Talk about nose weight .

Mark Yacavone 02-04-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hill (Post 525928)
Folks, just because something was in the parts books back in the day doesn't mean it should be legal for stock eliminator. Chevy had lots of high performance parts in the books back then. Doesn't mean that they are or should be legal for stock eliminator. And Todd if memory serves me well Pontiac had ram air 5 tunnel port heads that could be purchased if you knew the right people.

Z 28 cross ram..Over the counter, right?
Did it have GM part number?

Jim Storms 02-04-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez (Post 525907)
not for nothing if Mr Storms can make his cars go fast then why does he need a manifold that never came on that combo? Just asking.
If guys like Billy weren't around questioning questionable parts S/SS would be a real flustercluck.

My combos don't need the intake changed, there just fine in there current state. As for Billy's efforts, good for him, as I stated before!!! The class will always revolve in certain ways, sometimes you got to go with the flow and let things fall where they fall. Definitely not here to put Mr. Nees down for his efforts, The powers to be im sure will manage it all in some form or another eventually.

Dave Turner 02-04-2017 12:27 PM

Mom used to say, "Stop crying for more, or I'll take away what you have!"

Just havin' fun with my nose heavy FFFFFFord. :D

The Hawk 02-04-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken robinson (Post 525930)
...thats alot of parts on a shelf over an index ruling ...

You chose to buy them!

4406mopar 02-04-2017 01:57 PM

This is just one part on the long list for all brands.

Potentially the biggest load of BS is allowing the 3 speed. Took a decade of GM dead players and made them contenders. Did not hear you guys screaming bloody murder that day.

grncpe 02-04-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 525925)
You must be new at this, if you don't realize what happens if you take 50-60 lbs off the nose of a Stocker ,and put that amount in the weight box.
Pretty soon , we'll need wheelie bars.
Oh ,wait ..I forgot. We already have them...for safety!

50-60lbs ? I highly doubt that, I'll weigh them & get back on that with actual numbers. Why is it that when someone states an opinion that they get jumped on, questioning the integrity of their knowledge. Like you must be new at this. Just because they haven't been on class racer for a decade? Maybe they have been involved in a low profile manner. I understand why Bill is saying this but over a intake that is a replacement? There are quite a few examples on this thread about what I was saying. There are a lot more pressing issues other than this intake. You want an example? Single 4 hemi.... Wrap your head around that one. Where were the class police on that one? I'm a Chrysler guy, where were you on that one since you want to jump up and down about an intake?

Mark Yacavone 02-04-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grncpe (Post 525943)
50-60lbs ? I highly doubt that, I'll weigh them & get back on that with actual numbers. Why is it that when someone states an opinion that they get jumped on, questioning the integrity of their knowledge. Like you must be new at this. Just because they haven't been on class racer for a decade? Maybe they have been involved in a low profile manner. I understand why Bill is saying this but over a intake that is a replacement? There are quite a few examples on this thread about what I was saying. There are a lot more pressing issues other than this intake. You want an example? Single 4 hemi.... Wrap your head around that one. Where were the class police on that one? I'm a Chrysler guy, where were you on that one since you want to jump up and down about an intake?

Yes..Definitely get back to us on the weight..Never been over on the dark side, but I know Pontiacs, AMC's are that much.
Give us the numbers, and then we will re-address the weight distribution issue.

Jim Storms 02-04-2017 02:07 PM

On a good note for any racers who may need one of these fabulous LD340 intakes, I have 11 of them if someone is in need.

Coleydog 02-04-2017 02:11 PM

Good to see there's still animosity among by the brands and not just one generic "car" like NASCAR or Pro Stock.

Coleydog 02-04-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Storms (Post 525945)
On a good note for any racers who may need one of these fabulous LD340 intakes, I have 11 of them if someone is in need.

Do you think it's worth 40 HP? If so I might just buy one.LOL

Jim Storms 02-04-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coleydog (Post 525947)
Do you think it's worth 40 HP? If so I might just buy one.LOL

40 HP, no, 20lbs ya. But as for that 20 lbs our car would tip over backwards if had weight removed off the nose, so weird good with iron.

Paul Precht 02-04-2017 02:50 PM

Back in 72 I had a 64 Savoy with a 426 street wedge, it was all stock except for cheap street headers, stock 440 mani, Holley 4779 and 7" slicks, it ran 13.30s. I put an Edelbrock CH4B on it and it ran identical, a few weeks later put a TM7 on it and it ran 12.90s