CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Locked out distributor advance question (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=73024)

rod butcher 05-13-2019 08:48 AM

Re: Locked out distributor advance question

I'd just set the timing at 3000 rpm as you get a few degrees of timing difference from idle to 3000 from distributor, cam/distributor gear clearances and cam end play.

Dave Muller 05-13-2019 01:08 PM

It's done, one small lock washer, probably for a #10 screw, fit perfectly. Did not noticeably increase the space between the two surfaces but was just enough to be able to tighten down firmly. No more movement at all.

Bruce Fulper 05-16-2019 01:27 AM

Between all of the allowable tolerances of the cam and dist. gear and the rubber band up front, (timing chain) you'll never remove all of the slop. But don't worry about it. When it's floored its tightened up.

Dave Muller 05-16-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Fulper (Post 588569)
Between all of the allowable tolerances of the cam and dist. gear and the rubber band up front, (timing chain) you'll never remove all of the slop. But don't worry about it. When it's floored its tightened up.

Agreed, when I said no more movement I meant in the centrifugal advance mechanism itself. There was no noticeable change in the gear clearance, and I didn't add to the shims.

Mark Yacavone 05-16-2019 12:13 PM

Back in the 70's, GM sold a pack of distributor shims. They were .010 or .015 maybe ?
Ten to a pack , and it would take about half of them to shim up a distributor gear to remove most of the play there.
Always wondered why they left them that loose . GM must have seen as a hi-po issue, or they wouldn't have sold them.
I wonder if they are still available or somebody has them as NOS ?

Coleydog 05-16-2019 12:56 PM

I always use one very light spring on the advance. Engine starts at a small degree then flings out after 500 rpm to full advance. Easy to start any high compression engine. Also use a locking collar to allow no shaft up and down movement. I use a stock dist except when needing a tach drive.
Mike

brian schuetta 05-18-2019 08:40 AM

I thought the Summit brand distributors like the ready to run type were MSD. I found a pack of Moroso brand distributor shims at a speed shop a few months ago.

Bruce Fulper 05-18-2019 02:03 PM

I've been building distributors for 30 years, and no longer can find shim kits. If anyone knows please share. Thanks.

1320racer 05-18-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coleydog (Post 588588)
I always use one very light spring on the advance. Engine starts at a small degree then flings out after 500 rpm to full advance.

This^^^ I would never recommend a locked out distributor when using a stock or stock type distributor. I’ve been running my distributors with 18-20 degrees mechanical advance and all in by 2000 rpm for 25 years. The reward is no hard starting, no kickbacks, no broken flexplate teeth and no broken starter drives. Spins over like the plugs are out.

GTOMayhem 05-19-2019 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Fulper (Post 588719)
I've been building distributors for 30 years, and no longer can find shim kits. If anyone knows please share. Thanks.

https://www.competitionproducts.com/.../#.XOEV0aR7mUk

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem