CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Connecting Highway (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=7052)

art leong 04-25-2010 01:44 PM

Re: Connecting Highway

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINESPLINE (Post 184079)
Art, Like I said , info is vital. The more runs you make and against who you race all adds up. Harvey drove the car , Howie was the mouthpiece and Al stuttered a lot and a good street racer gets this information. AND WHAT HAPPENS IN STATEN ISLAND STAYS IN STATEN ISLAND ! LOL . Will you be coming up for Big E-Town race this year ? Shame about BKLYN HEAVY . Met Rufus once and he and his entourage ---nothing but class. --------Do you remember a 66-67 red Chevelle. Car was immaculate. BB of course. Street registered and driven to the Bow Wow. The car flat out FLEW ! ------John

I won't be coming to E'Town this year. I'm going to be away for the first 3 weeks of May and won't get to a decent track before June. I was going to go but I got hit by an attack of smarts. I can go to an SSSSA race 200 miles away from my house have a test session on Friday night, then get at least 2 time runs and 1 elimination run on both Saturday and Sunday. I'll learn a bit more about the dial in and won't have any NHRA eyes looking to knock my index a tenth and a half. The last nhra 2 races I've gone to have been worry fests about getting hit.
One thing we used to do was go to Hampton or E'town and shift 1st to 3rd. We had Froggies car there with the my 440 in it. Let him go by himself. We werent even there. This worked out well because someone always would blab and He would run high 11's with the 2 gears. That was what everyone thought. That was the "inside" info. Nobody ever noticed how many times he shifted.
That was why I didn't pay much attention to the track rumors. More afraid of "misinformation".

Paul Ceasrine 04-25-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINESPLINE (Post 182388)
To paul ceasrine, i have to admit you are a wealth of information. How did you gather it all. I am in awe of it all. Are you from the westchester / rockland area ? You should be writing a book----amazing !! ----john :)

FINESPLINE,
Thank You. Those are very kind words.
A short history. My father started racing (Dover Drag Strip) 1968.
Based out of his West Road Amoco Gas Station, Carmel, New York.
The place was a 'Hot Bed' for all the local street racers. Many would tune-up their cars at my fathers garage A geat place for a 12 year old kid to learn. 1971 my father started his own machine shop, Valley Motor
& Machine, Jefferson Valley (Northern Westchester) It all took off from their. I'm kind of STATISTICS FREAK..
Again, Thank You for the compliment.
Paul

cammer427 04-29-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine (Post 181561)
cammer427,
From your Hemi Helper friend, Paul\
68' Hemi Dart; Code; LO23
68' Hemi Cuda; Code BO29
Good questions, and great thread going on here. The 'Brookyln Heavy'
Dart sure looks like the Mutt Brothers car. In 1971, lots of Hemi guys were going to the Tunnel-Ram and the monster Holley's, and abandoning the cross-ram with the 770 Holleys. Better atomization. So it is possible that the 'Heavy' car is one-and-the-same.

On Manhattan Speed Shop. Yes it did exist and they did sponsor a
72' D/G Vega (owned by R & R Construction) around 74'/75'.
The other location; Manhattan Speed & Power Equipment was located on 232 West Broadway.
As for other sponsors, Manhattan Speed Shop sponsored a Hemi Dart,
in 69' ?. I have a photo of their Dart versus Charlie Castaldo's SS/BA
car (his second Dart).

Amazingly, the only original Hemi Cuda that ended up in New York
(original factory order) was Ed Miller (SS/B) out of East Syracuse.
Paul,,,more to share

Paul, I believe I may have found the answer to our question whether Heavy's '68 Hemi Dart was the same as the one owned by the Mutt Brothers. I came across a posting by jtower1969 on the "Brooklyn Heavy" Yenko.net thread where he mentions his father told him the Dart owned by Heavy was indeed owned by the Mutt Bros (I am assuming the Mutt Bros sold it directly to Heavy with noone else owning the car in-between them).

I'm sure I had read that post a while back but had forgot all aobut it. Here's the link (the post is fourth from the bottom):

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...true#Post53311

Paul Ceasrine 05-15-2010 11:37 AM

cammer427,
Good History Hunting!!!
Oh so many moons ago.
Once Pro/Stock became the rage, the 68' Hemi Darts and Cuda's
were only able to run in Pro/Stock for 70' and 71'. 1972 it was over to A/MP or get cut up for Gas or Match Race trim. Not too many 68' Hemi cars were left in proper trim, after 1973.
As for 68' Hemi Cuda's in the Northeast.
1) Ed Miller (SS/B) out of Syracuse, NY
2) Bob Gaudreau 'Candy Cuda', out of Bristol CT.
3) John Macey 'Heads Up', out of Bridgeport, CT.
4) Phil Cerrone 'Harris Auto Sales', Gorton, CT.
Thats It!,,Some mystery Cuda's, but no complete documentation.
Paul

mopar68 05-17-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art leong (Post 184076)
Believe it or not that number was not from inside info, it was from who you beat and by how much etc.
The only street race car we took the track was the 71 Charger with the Hemi in it. We put SS/DA on the window fillede out the time card with a Virginia address made one run 10.51 @ 128. Loaded it up and went home. Nobody looked to see it there was a roll bar in it or even thought about it. Froggies car was a couple of hundered pounds heavier than the Charger though.
I remember Harvey and Howie I think Howie was the driver?

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/136...emicharger.jpg

Artie, what year was this...1974?

M68

fullmetaljacket 06-13-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopar68 (Post 187737)
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/136...emicharger.jpg

Artie, what year was this...1974?

M68

Fullmetaljacket here.
Greetings to all you OG's
New to this board but old and witness to the stories.
I'm a recovering street haunt pacer.LOL.

art leong 06-14-2010 07:31 AM

I think it was 1974 I know it was Labor Day weekend. Most of the "heavy hitters" were off to Indy. And it gave us a chance. That was our first win.
That was during the any treaded tire unaltered from the manufacturer days. Notice the 12" wide treaded slicks from M&H.
That was eventually our street race car 2900 pounds with a steel headed hemi.

mopar68 06-15-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket (Post 192138)
Fullmetaljacket here.
Greetings to all you OG's
New to this board but old and witness to the stories.
I'm a recovering street haunt pacer.LOL.

Welcome LQ.

M68 (aka Qwik426)

mopar68 06-15-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art leong (Post 192167)
I think it was 1974 I know it was Labor Day weekend. Most of the "heavy hitters" were off to Indy. And it gave us a chance. That was our first win.
That was during the any treaded tire unaltered from the manufacturer days. Notice the 12" wide treaded slicks from M&H.
That was eventually our street race car 2900 pounds with a steel headed hemi.

Sounds right to me, Artie. Twenty-nine hundred pounds for a '71 Hemi B-body is hard to believe--not that I doubt your word. Any speculation as to how this was accomplished?

M68

art leong 06-16-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopar68 (Post 192647)
Sounds right to me, Artie. Twenty-nine hundred pounds for a '71 Hemi B-body is hard to believe--not that I doubt your word. Any speculation as to how this was accomplished?

M68

That was back when they tanked whole bodies, and I pretty sure the Charger was one of them. Also the 2900 pounds was with only a drivers seat, no roll cage, etc.